|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 26, 2020|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Context of the mission
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies and crisis.
Médecins du Monde (MDM) is operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
Currently, the regional focus is on Afar Region which, together with Somali Region, is among the poorest states in Ethiopia. An AWD project recently ended and a program of healthcare provision for sex workers will run here until 2021. In the Somali region, MDM is launching a new project including health (SRH) activities as well as Nutrition and WASH in Nut activities through a local partner.
Hierarchical & Functional links
Under the direct supervision of the General Coordinator, manages the administrative team, organising and managing the mission’s administrative components: finance, accounting, cash flows, budget construction and follow-up, expatriate / national human resources, legal framework.
- Develops and implements finance and accounting procedures in line with MDM internal rules and donor requirements.
- Responsible of the monthly accountancy of the mission: accountancy of AA and check and validate every base accountancy before to send it to HQ (hard and soft copies trough Saga Software), including reconciliation of bank accounts and petty cash. Before sending to HQ, the GenCo should approved the reconciliation and the monthly bank statement. Supervise the quality internal accounting (verification of receipts and invoices for the mission's sites, bank reconciliation, bookkeeping in line with MdM coding system and monthly journals, updating and archiving of accounting documents for Addis Ababa and HQ records, supervising the payment of invoices, taxes and staff salaries);
- Responsible of the Monthly Mission cash request to HQ according to the needs of the mission (monthly needs conciliation of all departments)
- Together with the Genco and the HQ financial controller (CGF), elaborates the MdM annual budget for the mission, and works (with the Genco and the CGF) on budget revision
- In collaboration with the HQ financial controller (CGF) designs and implements budget monitoring tool adapted to the field need or donor requirement
- Responsible of Budget follow-ups on a monthly basis and its analyses
- Elaborates Budget forecast together with Genco on a monthly basis
- Monitors overall budgetary consumption with respect to donors’ constraints, adjusts donors’ allocations if necessary Responsible for document-gathering related to yearly audit (Ethiopian authorities) and other audits as necessary.
- Responsible for information gathering and drafting of financial donor reports in line with their guidelines.
- Participates in preparation of audit and external evaluations
- Participates in interactions with donors on financial and administrative matters as required.
- Monthly salaries payment: responsible of the monthly payroll, validation of the Genco should be necessary for the monthly salary payment.
- Approval of the purchasing, according to the MdM rules of procurement, will be responsible of the approval of all purchasing according to the budget
- Responsible that the procurement and payment made by the logistic are done according to the MdM procedures (proforma, invoices, bid analysis ...)
Administrative / HR management
- Revises and updates MDM Internal Rules and Regulations, staff model contract (conditions of employment) and salary policy / scale (in line with Ethiopian law) in coordination with MDM Headquarters and in liaison with other INGOs
- Supervise the administrative management of national staff (job description development, contract signature and renewal, leave, overtime, insurance, disciplinary procedures, end of contract, resignation, dismissal, etc.) with strict respect for Ethiopian legal framework (Labour Law) and MDM internal guidelines.
- Responsible for administrative briefing of all new expatriates arriving on the mission.
- Supervise the administration of expatriate staff (arrival expatriate file, departure Return Sheet to MDM Headquarters, plane ticket bookings, renewal of visas, mission orders, ID cards, work permits, residence permits and consular registration of all expatriates in Ethiopia).
- Supervise the preparation and follow-up of administrative files related to medical treatment and/or evacuation of expatriate staff in coordination with the Medical / Field / General Coordinators.
- Participate in meetings with local partners and local authorities related to HR issues
Legal framework follow-up & management
- Ensures compliance with formalities required by government agencies and local authorities within required timeframe (annual report to the authorities, income tax for national staff).
- Ensures surveillance of local legislation and practices directly applicable to MDM such as Labour Law, Social Law, Tax and Revenue law, custom procedures, immigration law, etc.
- Anticipates and ensures renewal of all administrative agreements, registration, licenses, permits, authorisations and privileges granted to MDM by various bodies of the Ethiopian authorities.
- Manages legal issues of the mission in link with the General Coordinator and Legal Adviser.
- Proposes adaptations of projects related to constraints and opportunities linked with local authorities.
- Responsible for preparation / updating of documents describing the operating procedures of the mission.
- Manages requests of work permits, visa and legal permits needed for international staff in Ethiopia
Team management and capacity-building / Communication
- Ensures the drafting of meeting minutes for internal meetings in Addis Ababa and the holding of coordination meetings in the absence of the General Coordinator.
- With the General Coordinator, shares with field teams’ notes/memos/guidelines related to the overall mission management.
- Reinforces the quality of field and capital administration teams or local NGO partners with specific trainings geared to develop local capacities.
- Prepares internal trainings related to mission administration to develop the capacity of national staff, or local NGO partner with the objective of nationalising the position (curriculum development, planning for transition, progressive delegation of tasks and authority) with the support of the General Coordinator.
- Train and /or support the partners on all financial issues’ relatives to MdM partnership,
- Ensure that MdM financial obligations are respected as per partnership agreement,
- Ensure that the partners submit the financial report on time, and that all expenditures are eligible as per donors/MdM requirement,
- Ensure the integration of partners expenditures in SAGA EE book
- Six months with the possibility of extension
- BA/MA in accounting or related field with the combination of relevant training and practical experience.
- Minimum two years of progressively responsible professional work experience in a similar position
- Experience in working in an international NGO
- Experience in administrative, finance and HR capable of setting up all the issues on HR and legal aspects on a mission
- Experience in multi donors funded projects
- Fluent in Amharic and English, ideally also knowledge of other languages
- Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, and adaptability
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent computer and reporting skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to classify and manage priorities - High autonomous is required
- Interest and ability to work in a team
- Knowledge of SAGA is an asset
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application letter including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees through email@example.com email. If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF by writing the job title on the subject line.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Please notice that if you have not heard from MdM within 10 days of the submission date of the deadline, you should presume you were not short listed for this position. However, MdM thanks you for your interest and encourages you to apply for other openings where your skills and experience match.