|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 26, 2020|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is a Pan-African professional body working to advocate for the critical role and needs of laboratory medicine and networks throughout Africa. Africa is rapidly growing but faces major health challenges including epidemics of HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria, and new priorities such as Ebola and other global health security threats. Strengthened laboratory capacity and surveillance in Africa are critical to overcoming the burden of disease and ensuring a healthy future for the continent. ASLM addresses these challenges by working collaboratively with governments, local and international organizations, implementing partners, and the private sector.
Summary of the position:
The Accountant prepares accounting information to assist in producing financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in accordance with the mission, core values, and purposes of the ASLM Office.
- Verify, allocate, post and reconcile accounts payable and receivable in Quick Books
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly payroll
- Assist in the filing of accounting documents
- Ensure that all work advances and prepayments to Hotels and other vendors are reconciled in time.
- Produce error-free project financial reports and present their results
- Verify payment requests, its supporting document and process all payments on time
- Analyze financial information and summarize financial status
- Prepare Funds Transfer letters and liaise with the Bank to ensure speedy processing of payments
- Assist with writing and issuing of cheques and maintaining the cheque dispatch registers and other accountable documents
- Follow up with the Bank on Proof of Payments for all international transfers
- Provide support to Programs staff on development and tracking of activity budgets
- Conduct surprise counts for Petty cash
- Participate in financial standards setting and in forecast process
- Provide input into department’s goal setting process
- Assist with filing of tax returns and Pension contributions
- Assist in the facilitation of internal and external audits to ensure compliance
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Liaise with our Senior Finance Manager to improve financial procedures
- Finance Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance and studying towards attainment of a professional accounting certification,
- 5+ years of experience with grants administration and/or compliance (US government and federal grant experience required)
- Ability to work with complex budgets.
- Experience with federal OMB (Office of Management and Budget) circulars
- Experience working with nonprofit or philanthropic organizations
- Ability to think and problem-solve creatively
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong multi-tasking skills, highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to provide guidance to people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training and experience
- Enjoy working independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
The application website closes on 7th February 2020 at 5:30 PM Addis Ababa time and any application sent after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Interested applicants should apply online on ASLM website https://aslm.org/job-opportunities/
If you can’t access the link, you can send your resume and application letter to Email.
This position is a contract position and subject to available funding. ASLM may terminate employment at any time due to funding, or for any other lawful reason.
Please note that all applicants should apply online or Email.
*ONLY successful candidates shall be contacted for an interview.