Admin Associate – Debark
|Date Posted||September 4, 2021|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
This position is open to internal and external applicants.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Administrative Associate is responsible for the office management in assisting the concerned manager in the implementation of general administrative and resource management tasks.
The Administrative Associate is the Associate Administrative Officer at Debark Office who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent may supervise some support staff. S/he keeps frequent contacts with staff at various levels in the office and occasionally with staff at the same level in other duty stations and/or Headquarters; with local suppliers and/or officials and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the supervisor in the provision of resources (human, material and services) necessary to support the day-to-day activities of the staff in the office.
- Assist the supervisor in ensuring the UNHCR Office premises provide a healthy, safe and respectful working environment.
- Provide administrative support in the areas of finance, administrative and human resources as well as up to date and accurate data and records in MSRP and other systems.
- Provide interpretation of administrative rules, regulations and procedures. Perform personnel work including processing of entitlement, issuance of contracts maintenance of various personnel records and files.
- Assist in the recruitment of General Service staff for non-specialized work including evaluating candidate applications, administering recruitment exams if applicable, conducting preliminary interviews of candidates; assign General Service staff to meet work requirements.
- Collect information and assist in conduct of surveys on local cost of living, daily subsistence allowance criteria, local salaries for office and servicing staff, house rentals.
- Brief international personnel on general administrative matters relating to visas, licences, security; provide advice and ensure administrative support as required.
- Arrange for and/or attend meetings on day-to-day administrative matters, participate in discussions of new or revised procedures and practices, interpret and assess the impact of changes and make recommendations for follow-up action.
- Prepare, on own initiative, correspondence, reports, evaluations and justifications, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Assist in the preparation of office budgets applicable to staff and servicing costs and maintain necessary budgetary control records.
- In addition to general administration responsibilities, may also supervise directly or indirectly, activities concerned with office and grounds maintenance, security, transport and similar services.
- Arrange for requisition of office supplies and equipment and arrange for control of distribution and maintenance of appropriate inventory records.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
- Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related fields.;
Relevant Job Experience
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- *IT-Computer Literacy;
- UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures;
- UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- SC-UNHCR Procurement Rules and Procedures
- IT-PeopleSoft EPM/Budget;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
All UNHR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Managing Resources
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Change Capability and Adaptability
- English is essential
- Amharic and Tigrinya are desirable
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- An eliminatory or complementary written test for shortlisted candidates may be conducted which will be followed by competency-based interview.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.