|Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
|November 4, 2021
The Admin/Finance Associate for the Northern Emergency Response is located in Addis Ababa and reports to the International Operations Manager (IOM) based in Addis Ababa but heavily supporting the Northern Emergency Response team in Mekelle. Under the direct supervision of the International Operations Manager (IOM), the Admin/Finance Associate is responsible for assisting the Operations Unit in Addis Ababa to effectively deliver administration and financial services for projects managed by the CO in the Northern Response Region.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2022-2025), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Administrative/Finance Associate ensures proper and effective use of UNFPA’s and external partners’ resources in terms of the following:
- Effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight;
- Implementation of operational/admin and financial transactions and processes;
- Support of HACT audits exercise and other assurance plans
- Control of Country Office cash management and accounts;
- Effective administrative and logistics office support; and
- Maintenance of accurate financial records.
- Assists in general human resource administrative tasks where necessary
The Administrative/Finance Associate delivers quality financial services to internal and external clients mastering all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures. S/he takes a client-oriented results-focused approach to interpreting the rules, procedures and guidelines, providing support and guidance to the CO and UNFPA supported projects implemented by the Northern Emergency Response Team.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
- Preparation, presentation and maintenance of facilities and assets reports and records.
- Supports the monitoring of programme financial performance for all core and non-core resources by providing necessary financial information and analysis, including implementation rate against indicators/results.
- Support UNFPA assurance plans including management audits in the Northern Emergency Region.
- Assists in the management of the Sub Region Office budgets by monitoring expenditures, and preparing revisions according to the needs of the Country Office.
- Maintains an effective financial recording and reporting system, internal control and audit follow-up, and processes financial transactions in an accurate and timely way.
- Reviews and monitors charges for common services and cost recovery taking into account maximum cost efficiency in full compliance with UNFPA rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents for NER unit
- Assists the IOM and Senior Management in general human resource tasks, including recruitment and selection process applying best practice HR tools and mechanisms, advises and briefs managers and project personnel on different types of contractual modalities whether staff, surge, consultants, other.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
UNFPA Work Environment
- UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits
- This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary and other benefits as applicable.
- UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline ttp://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
- In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Qualifications and Experience
- Completed Secondary Level Education required. First level university degree or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy is desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least seven (7) years of relevant experience in providing administration and financial management, accounting , managing staff and operational systems
- Thorough knowledge of the UN Staff Rules and Regulations, administration and financial rules and regulations.
- Strong analytical and leadership skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spread sheet and database packages,
- Experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP systems.
- Experience of IPSAS will have a distinct advantage.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Fluency in English required. Knowledge in other UN languages an asset.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Business acumen
- Implementing managment systems
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- client orientation
- Organizational awareness
- Job knowledge / technical expertise
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through: Applicant Home (partneragencies.org)
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.