|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||May 4, 2022|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. On any given day, WFP has 5,000 trucks, 20 ships, and 92 planes on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those in most need. Every year, we distribute more than 15 billion rations at an estimated average cost per ration of US$ 0.31. These numbers lie at the roots of WFP’s unparalleled reputation as an emergency responder, one that gets the job done quickly at scale in the most difficult environments. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid, and special operations.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the government and other humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change, and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
This job is found in Addis Ababa, Country Offices. The job holders typically report to an Admin Officer or the designate.
The incumbent under the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer will be responsible for the accountabilities identified hereunder.
To coordinate and manage WFP travel activities with the provision of technical advice in line with corporate travel rules and regulations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Verify resource requirements in the area of responsibility (WFP facilities, assets, light vehicle fleet, etc.), and assist in the identification of new requirements to facilitate efficiency and cost-effectiveness of operations and services.
2. Support the production of various data and compile and prepare reports in order to contribute to the provision of accurate information for informed decision-making and to support the effective and timely management of WFP resources.
3. Contribute to planning, monitoring and processing administrative actions related to procurement, finance, human resources, etc., including contracts with external vendors to ensure all data is accurately and timely recorded, processed in WFP corporate systems and any operational issues addressed.
4. Adapt and update administrative processes, supporting the implementation of operating procedures, in order to contribute to the continuous improvement of administrative services in the area of responsibility.
5. Answer a range of queries related to the provision of administrative services in order to support the resolution of daily issues. Review all travel documents ensuring they are in line with the approved Travel Authorizations (TAs)/Long Term Agreements (LTAs) and appropriate documentation is attached.;
6. Coordinate the activities of a team of staff working in the area, to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations, policies, and procedures, and performance plans.
7. Provide training and guidance to staff in interpretation of administrative procedures, policies, processes, and use of corporate systems to ensure consistency and efficiency of services provided to all clients.
8. Ensure WFP’s administrative Travel Rules and Regulations are fully and properly accounted for and that internal control systems are adequate and functioning.
9. Oversees the travel unit ensuring efficient and timely delivery of services to staff with professional knowledge on WFP Information Network and Global Systems (WINGS)II Travel module.
10. Disseminate and circulate guidance and new updates related to Travel regulation to all staff.
11. Ensure all Travel Expense Claims (TECs) and Process Rest and Recuperation (R&R), advances, danger pay and medical evacuations and travel are in compliance with WFP rule.
12. Review all outstanding commitments (over 30 days) and take appropriate action
13. Review accuracy of all invoices submitted to WFP by the Travel Agent.
14. Assess and monitor regularly travel expenditure of Units and prepare monthly travel report and TEC tracking sheet including the monthly statistics of all tickets purchased by the Country Office.
15. Update, maintain and compile of Travel statistics in the database.
16. Facilitate with project closure ensuring all trips are closed in line with closure guidelines and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) compliance
17. Supervise coordination of in country workshops/meetings.
18. Coordinate shipment of personal effects and provide efficient and timely service
19. Perform other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Public Administration, Engineering, or other relevant field relating to Administration. A Master’s degree or higher in a related field is an added advantage.
Experience: Six or more years of progressively responsible support work experience, including at least three years in administration or another related field. Working experience in writing and presenting analytical reports. Include at least three years of working experience in a field related to travel management and effective action management to plan, coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks.
Knowledge & Skills:
Knowledge of specialized Administrative work practices and methods gained through relevant technical training and experience.
Good communication skills and a good understanding of Admin principles and their application.
Ability to build relationships with a variety of individuals across functions and outside WFP in order to effectively contribute to the functioning of the unit.
Experience in supervising and coordinating tasks of subordinates to be able to train and supervise junior staff members within the functional unit.
Ability to work with minimum supervision and use initiative to perform administrative tasks within broad WFP guidelines and standards.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Amharic. Knowledge of other local languages is an added advantage.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP administrative operating standards related to travel management.
Comprehensive understanding and excellent working knowledge and working experience with WINGS II and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Especially strong ability to work with Microsoft Excel and Access (Relational Database Management System) is required.
Good knowledge and working experience in performing administrative duties related to travel management.
Has provided coaching or training to new staff members within their area of expertise.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps the team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on the job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team-building activities to build rapport in own unit.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within their own team.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in their own work and to help the team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to the team on how to build relationships with external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Description of the behavior expected for the proficiency level
Business Support Services & Reporting
Applies a strong ability to identify country-level requirements and develop customer-focused solutions and action plans. Communicates data-based findings in a highly impactful way that is tailored to the audience
Internal Controls & Risk Management
Utilizes understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction
Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients
Specialized Knowledge in Administrative Services
Demonstrates a broad or specialist knowledge of administration best practices, techniques, and processes, and a good grasp of WFP standards, processes, and infrastructure in the area of responsibility; applies this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services
Monitors and supervises administrative work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence. Ensures that customer problems are identified and resolved
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.