|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||December 25, 2022|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
About Vital Strategies
Vital Strategies is a global organization made up of researchers, experts, and strategists in multiple fields, who work with governments and advocates to tackle some of the world’s most difficult public health challenges. We develop and implement targeted, evidence-based programs in critical areas such as tobacco control, overdose prevention, environmental health, road safety and food policy in countries around the world. Our diverse staff represents more than 37 nationalities, which is critical to our approach of creating local partnerships with policymakers, civil servants and administrators, and media and civil society groups in order to build capacity and advance progress.
Vital Strategies registered its newest global office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in the summer of 2020. The location, also home to the African Union, will help us strengthen our organization’s public health capacity in the region.
Vital Strategies began working in Ethiopia in 2012 when we established the East Africa Training Initiative in partnership with Addis Ababa University and Black Lion Hospital. This Fellowship program trains Ethiopian doctors as lung health specialists to fill an important gap in addressing tuberculosis and other lung diseases. In 2015, working with the city of Addis Ababa and other local partners, we initiated a successful road safety program to improve communication, surveillance and coordination of global road safety partners in an effort to prevent road crashes and save lives. The Addis Ababa office opened in the midst of the pandemic and has provided a base for Resolve to Save Lives initiative’s Prevent Epidemics team to work with Ethiopia and support COVID communication and health care worker training. Our other ongoing work includes support for healthier food policies, collecting and using data to inform public health policy decisions, and improving civil registration and vital statistics.
Vital Strategies is committed to helping prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to protecting the safety of our employees.
Vital Strategies is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive (DEI) organization. We believe our programs are strengthened when they are developed and supported by individuals with diverse life experiences, whose understanding of social and cultural issues can help make our work and workforce more inclusive.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, actual or perceived age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, predisposing genetic characteristics, alienage or citizenship status, gender (including gender identity or expression), partnership status, arrest or conviction record, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offense or stalking, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.
Read about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Vital Strategies: https://www.vitalstrategies.org/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-at-vital-strategies/
Duties & Responsibilities
- General Office Administrative Support : Provide administrative office support for a variety of tasks (i.e., create and/or format documents, filing, draft simple correspondence messages, and assist in preparing meeting materials). Assist in organizing meetings including making venue arrangements. Maintain an up-to-date contact list of partner organizations, emergency service providers and others as needed by the office.
- Travel Support : Support travel and logistics arrangements for staff and visitors. Arrange hotel bookings for Vital Strategies staff and visitors as requested. Provide support for booking flights for Vital Strategies Ethiopia staff based on approved travel request. Arrange vehicles for staff travel. Provide support in obtaining visa permits including preparing legal documentation paperwork for local/international staff and visitors and following up on visa processes. Provide other travel support to international staff and visitors, as needed.
- Reception and Common Spaces : Greet guests, answer phone calls, collect and distribute mail, manage meeting room bookings, and reset meeting rooms after meetings. Maintain pantry and supplies; ensure common spaces and utilities are well maintained; liaise with cleaning services. Maintain contact with internal and external groups for meeting preparation and coordination of meeting logistics.
- Finance Administration : Provide routine financial process support such as collection of payment deposit slips, following up on payment delivered to banks, delivering payment transfer to bank, supporting the monthly settlement of tax to government. Ensure safe custody of petty cash in accordance with Vital Strategies policies and procedures. Make all payments from petty cash after approval by the respective managers and after verifying the accuracy of necessary documents. Follow up with payees on bank transfer issues.
- Onboarding/Offboarding Support : Assist Operations Officer in onboarding new hires and ensuring efficient and compliant process for departing staff. Assist in supporting recruitment efforts.
- Vendor Management and Compliance : Under the direction of Operations Officer, assist Vital Strategies office purchasing by supporting competitive pricing research for vendors and supplies and collecting quotes. Monitor, track, and purchase centralized office and kitchen supplies to ensure office is well stocked and inventory is well managed. Ensure supplies are recorded, managed, and distributed to staff upon request.
- IT Support : Work with Vital IT team to ensure internet and printers are working properly.
# of openings: 1(One)
Education & Degree
- Bachelor’s degree, any field is preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work in a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with global colleagues on different time zones
- Sound judgment and discretion when handling confidential information
- Focused on providing high levels of customer service to internal and external partners.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and manage multiple concurrent activities while maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Well organized and ability to act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Ability to learn quickly both informally (on-the-job) and through formal training
- Ability to use discretion and strong judgment skills to protect confidential or sensitive information
- 1-2 years progressive working experience in office administration with similar INGOs.
- Intermediate in Speaking/Reading/Writing English and fluent in Amharic.
- Demonstrated intermediate experience in usage of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Experience in handling confidential and/or sensitive materials and records with a high degree of integrity and discretion.