|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||May 1, 2022|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Background and Organizational Context
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative (P), the Administrative Assistant to the DRR (P) ensures effective and efficient functioning of the office of the Deputy Resident Representative (P), full confidentiality in all aspects of the assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made. The Administrative Assistant is part of the support team to the office Senior Management group and flexibly assists the Management Team depending on workload.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with UNDP staff, UN Agencies and national authorities to ensure an efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, and agendas. In doing all this the Administrative Assistant ensures the maintenance of the profile, dignity and confidentiality of the office of the DRR/P.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the office of the Deputy Resident Representative (P) focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the supervisors’ calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, and/or taking minutes;
- Maintenance of protocol procedures, ensuring a well-functioning office including managing all incoming correspondence, screening and sorting, ensuring proper review by the DCD/P;
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for supervisors for appointments, meetings, missions; uses discretion, and at times in consultation with the DRR/P and/or colleagues to resolve issues and to keep scheduling conflicts to a minimum;
- Effectively works with the CO team, the UNCT and partners and other stakeholders in ensuring representation at key functions on behalf of the RR when designated and delegated.
- Preparation of informal translations from the local language to English or other languages;
- Management of the Deputy Resident Representative (P) missions and programme schedules in collaboration with the CO’s units;
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists in electronic and hard copy;
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of Deputy Resident Representative (P) for their signature and making follow-up when required;
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the office of the Deputy Resident Representative (P).
2. Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system;
- Coordination of the information flow in the Programme Unit, and with other units in the office, follow up on circulation files as appropriate;
- Manages the flow of visitors and telephone traffic ensuring that these are well planned and executed involving responding, directing and monitoring quality control in line with corporate operating standards;
- Manages the flow of electronic and paper mail effectively prioritized and managed including follow up on deadlines, actions and commitments covering a wide range of areas;
- Facilitates information sharing between all Units, UNDP Projects, and Agencies;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to Deputy Resident Representative (P);
- Screens all incoming calls and correspondence;
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisors’ offices and subordinate divisions;
- Participates in substantial meetings organized by the supervisor and preparation of reports.
3. Provides support to the Deputy Resident Representative (P) in Programme and M&E coordination, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- The Administrative Assistant compiles regular reports (pie charts, graphs, etc.) on the overall programme/operations delivery and resource allocation to be used at programme meetings/annual review meetings, etc.;
- The Administrative Assistant works with the DRR/P to schedule regular/monthly programme meetings, records proceedings and follows up on key action points working through and with relevant programmed focal points;
- Supports the DRR/P in tracking programme delivery, working through and with the Partnerships Development and Results Management (PDRM) Hub in facilitating the convening of weekly delivery meetings and ensures follow-up action by relevant colleagues;
- Works with pogramme and operations teams in ensuring Atlas Programme Management actions are implemented, keeping the DRR/P informed.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Liaises with relevant CO teams in ensuring that relevant documentation and briefings are available well in advance for review prior to meetings involving the DRR/P;
- Works with the Executive Team (RR & DRRs) in ensuring a well-functioning front Office, including by providing substantive input in fully utilizing the ERP systems for business processes and workflows which should help to ensure quality and timeliness minimizing errors as much as possible;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Supports the Executive Associate to the RR in the organization of specialized training for secretaries;
- Actively participates in the Organization of training for UN staff on coordination, administration, and protocol issues.
The incumbent of this position reports to the Deputy Resident Representative (Program).
- Achieve Results: Level 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by the deadline;
- Think Innovatively: Level 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is a pragmatic problem-solver, makes improvements;
- Learn Continuously: Level 1: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback;
- Adapt with Agility: Level 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible;
- Act with Determination: Level 1: Shows drive and motivation, ability to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confidence;
- Engage and Partner: Level 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships;
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Level 1: Appreciate/respect differences, be aware of unconscious bias, and confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Customer Satisfaction/Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to participate in client’s upcoming needs and concerns;
- Operations Management: Ability to effectively plan, organize and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best rules in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms;
- Building facilities and office space management: Knowledge and ability to facilitate the renovation and upgrade of offices including review of complex engineering/architectural drawings; negotiate technical agreements to ensure fully operational building infrastructure and services; design policy and procedure (POPP) for premises and facilities, including space standards; manage premises and facilities; validate financial statement notes on leasehold data;
- Events Management (including retreats, training and meetings): Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc;
- Financial Planning and budgeting: Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP’s long and short-term financial goals, including through planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysis and reporting;
- Procure-to-Pay: Knowledge of purchase-to-pay cycles, concepts, principles, and policies, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical solutions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training and some Information Management training; University Degree or equivalent would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years (2 years for Bachelor’s Degree) of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required;
- Excellent skills in word processing, data processing using office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Programme Manager etc), experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job descriptions, experiences and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fees in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.