|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 3, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Norway and the African Union have a long-standing partnership. In 2015, the strategic partnership was formalized when the two partners entered into a Memorandum of Understanding. In 2018, the partners deepened their cooperation and entered into a framework agreement in the areas of i) peace and security, ii) democracy and governance, iii) sustainable development and job creation, and iv) institutional capacity building.
The Permanent Mission of Norway to the African Union was established in Addis Abeba on 1 October 2018.
The cooperation between Norway and the AU currently extends to several key policy areas, including peace and security, election support and observation, democratic governance and human rights, women, peace and security, education for women and children, the blue economy, economic integration, the UN-AU partnership, conflict prevention, and civilian capacities in peace support operations.
Norway is a consistent partner that strongly supports Africa’s own Agenda 2063. The vision of “an integrated, prosperous and peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena” is in our common interest, for a common future.
Terms of Employment:
One year with possibilities of extension, starting on 1 July 2020.
- The Permanent Mission of Norway to the African Union is currently looking for a dynamic, articulate and accomplished individual for the position of Advisor.
- The Advisor will join the Mission team and cooperate closely with all colleagues at the Mission. Issues related to peace, security and economic development are important parts of the portfolio. S/he will coordinate the Mission’s engagement with the AU Peace and Security Council. S/he will be expected to closely follow the activities of the African Union in the Peace and Security area, and analyze and report on current situations, conflict trends and other relevant issues. In particular, s/he will be responsible for following up on the UN-AU partnership.
- The Advisor will also be expected to appraise project proposals, prepare contractual arrangements and be responsible for the follow-up of agreements with partners, including the AU Commission, UN organizations and civil society organizations. S/he will also plan and prepare meetings, workshops, and visits.
- S/he must be prepared for possible adjustment of the work description and project/program portfolio.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge, practical experience and professional networks from regional and/or continental organizations in Africa
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to produce analytical work, reports and policy recommendations.
- Analytical skills in assessing policies, strategies, programs, documents, and reports, as well as the ability to present concise and informative summaries.
- Ability to closely follow international, regional and Norwegian developments in his/her area of work.
- The ability to work independently and meet deadlines under demanding conditions.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English. Good report writing, presentation and communication skills. Full knowledge of spoken and written Norwegian is a strong advantage. Knowledge of spoken and written French and/or another AU language is an advantage.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook is required.
Education and Experiences:
- Higher university degree in relevant disciplines for the position.
- Work experience with the African Union, another international organization and/or an Embassy producing analytical work related to peace, security, and economic development in Africa.
- Work experience in project/program management and development cooperation related to the African Union and/or other international organizations is an advantage.
Candidates who meet the stated requirements may forward their application consisting of a short motivational statement of up to 300 words describing why you want this position and CV by Tuesday 14 April 2020 through Ethiojobs.net
The result of the application process will be announced at the Embassy’s website within one month after the application deadline.
Permanent Mission of Norway to the African Union