|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 25, 2021|
|Category|| Legal |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Advisor for Inclusion of Refugees in TVET and MoSHE Focal Point
GIZ- Internal/External Vacancy Announcement ‘#105/2021’
Qualifications and Employment Perspectives for Refugees and Host Communities in Ethiopia (QEP)
The Ethio-German programme on Qualifications and Employment Perspectives for Refugees and Host Communities in Ethiopia (QEP) has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in December 2017. The programme is co-financed by the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad). The programme seeks to provide better vocational training and employment prospects for refugees and Ethiopians; it supports the Ethiopian government’s efforts to build a strong vocational training system, to create jobs and to build durable solutions for refugees in line with the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF). Implementation takes place in Addis Ababa, Somali Region, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella and Tigray.
QEP works on three output levels and seeks to (1) increase the quality of vocational training (TVET), (2) broaden the opportunities of TVET available to the target groups and (3) foster entrepreneurship and pathways into employment. QEP works together with the public TVET system and tries to extend the standards of the Ethiopian TVET system to refugees. The programme follows an integrated approach, where Ethiopians and refugees benefit equally from better TVET and employment opportunities. In 2020, a fourth action field was added to the programme: to support the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MoSHE) and other relevant stakeholders such as the Agency for Refugee and Returnee Affairs (ARRA) on the topic of inclusion of refugees in TVET.
QEP is part of the GIZ “Skills Development Cluster” bringing together GIZ implemented projects and programmes working in the field of training, education, and transmission of knowledge.
The new advisor will coordinate the policy action field in QEP. Besides, s/he directly works with the MoSHE, ARRA, UNHCR and further relevant government and multilateral stakeholders. S/he will support the MoSHE and further actors on all topics related to inclusion of refugees in TVET and approaches how refugees can increasingly benefit from public TVET opportunities, while additional opportunities for hosting Ethiopian communities are created. The advisor will also be the focal point at MoSHE for all joint projects and programmes between MoSHE and GIZ.
Duration of contract: 31.12.2023
Responsibilities and duties
The advisor will be based in Addis Ababa. S/he will coordinate all activities in the policy action field on federal and regional level and manage the liaison with an international consultancy firm. S/he will also directly advice staff at the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MoSHE), the Agency for Refugee and Returnee Affairs (ARRA) and further relevant stakeholders.
The advisor takes on the following duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinates all activities in the policy action field on federal and regional level and ensures the achievement of targets and indicators of the new action field
- Works closely with an international consultancy firm and steers its implementation
- Brings together relevant government actors and boosts a sound network for cooperation
- Drafts strategic documents and agreements (such as Memorandum of Understanding, MoU) in a professional manner, follows up and steers a process for mutual endorsement
- Ensures an alignment of relevant sector actors (eg. MoSHE and ARRA) and advices on the development of a mutual understanding regarding TVET for refugees
- Contributes to awareness raising regarding the new refugee proclamation and the Ethiopian governments “pledges” and its specific stipulations regarding vocational training
- Supports the programme management in further strengthening strategic relations with government parties and multilateral organisations
- Directly advices actors at MoSHE, ARRA, and further government offices on matters related to TVET for refugees
- Works as the focal point at MoSHE for all joint programmes/projects between MoSHE and GIZ
- Facilitates the exchange and connection between MoSHE and GIZ projects (currently STEP, S4D, QEP)
- Drafts minutes, reports, and briefing documents in a precise and informative manner
- Takes on further tasks in a flexible manner
- Master degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, Public Policy and Management, Law, or related relevant fields
- Excellent network with relevant government stakeholders, most notably Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MoSHE), Federal TVET Agency (FTA) and Agency for Refugee and Returnee Affairs (ARRA)
- Good network with relevant humanitarian and multilateral actors such as UNHCR
- Excellent knowledge about Ethiopian legislation and policy in the field of refugees and refugee inclusion
- Good understanding of regional policies and strategies regarding the inclusion of refugees
- Excellent knowledge about the Ethiopian TVET system, its organisational structure, core actors, ways of decision making, and strategic targets
- Proven work experience, ideally in bother sectors, at least in one: TVET in Ethiopia and migration
- Proven work experience, ideally in both types of organisations, at least in one: international organisations and relevant Ethiopian government organisations (eg. MoSHE, FTA, ARRA, Regional TVET Bureaus, or similar)
- Experience in working for GIZ is an advantage
- Excellent networking skills and proven experience in building strong networks of cooperation in complex policy fields
- Proven experience in organising and steering complex processes that involve a variety of stakeholders and require a high degree of coordination
- Ability to facilitate solutions and mutual understandings in a setting of various actors and interests
- Very good ability to express yourself clearly orally and in a written manner
- Ability to think strategically and derive actions from a broader strategic orientation
- Ability to work independently and find solutions for complex problems; strong problem-solving skills
Other knowledge, additional competencies:
- Excellent skills in English (writing, speaking, listening)
- Excellent skills in Amharic (writing, speaking, listening)
- Knowledge of German is an additional asset
- Excellent skills in using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook); experience in using MS Teams is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in an intercultural team
- Very good skills to communicate with actors on different levels and different organisations
- Flexibility and preparedness to perform a changing array of duties according to the needs of the programme
- Preparedness to work with a high amount of time and output pressure
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non- returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email: email@example.com
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘Advisor for Inclusion of Refugees in TVET and MoSHE Focal Point #105/2021’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categories applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”