|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 18, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
GIZ - Internal and External Vacancy Announcement
GIZ - Energy Solutions for Displacement Settings (ESDS) project
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian Government and other international donors.
GIZ, on behalf of the German government, is implementing the global project "Support to UNHCR in the implementation of the Global Compact for Refugees (GCR) in the Humanitarian-Development-Peace (HDP) Nexus (SUN)". The project is working with UNHCR in Ethiopia to implement the component Energy Solutions for Displacement Settings (ESDS), with the aim to improve access to renewable energy for refugees and host communities through three intervention levels: I) a strengthened policy framework, II) access to sustainable energy for humanitarian infrastructure, and III) access to sustainable energy and basic cooking fuel for households and social institutions.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Coordinate on a technical level the ESDS activities in the intervention area “Market-based access to energy for households and social institutions” including but not limited to the implementation of activities, and technical advisory to government and private sector stakeholders;
- Develop, conceptualize and implement innovative, creative and scalable project ideas on market-based energy access for refugees and host communities in Gambella region, including on topics such as cooking technology, market development, end-user financing, and productive use of energy;
- Prepare, support and supervise national and international consultancies on market-based energy access as well as other procurement processes;
- Cooperate closely with team members in Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Germany as well as colleagues in the GIZ Energy Programme Ethiopia to foster knowledge sharing and innovation;
- Ensure the consideration of context sensitivity and gender aspects, including on sexual-and-gender-based-violence (SGBV), in your daily work and the overall project implementation;
- Support the day-to-day implementation of ESDS Ethiopia, including tasks such as knowledge management, monitoring and evaluation, report writing and workshop preparation.
- Bachelor`s degree or Master’s degree and minimum five years of experience
- Degree either in economics, business or energy engineering, energy management, environmental studies, development studies or a related field.
Professional experience and competencies
- Excellent English and Amharic language proficiency, both in written and spoken form;
- Proven experience in the field of household energy and/or the implementation of market-based approaches in rural settings, preferably in the displacement context;
- Strong interest in innovation and ability to develop out-of-the-box solutions on issues related to market development and energy access for refugees, host communities and social institutions;
- Ability to perform under high pressure in a dynamic environment, and adjust quickly to new circumstances;
- Excellent networking, communication and presentation skills, considering the cultural and political contexts in displacement settings and development cooperation;
- Good team player with a high interest in sharing knowledge and collaborating in dynamic and multicultural environments;
- Experience in project management is considered an asset;
- Experience in handling procurement processes and managing consultants towards the successful delivery of their assignment is considered an asset;
- Good knowledge of the local context in Gambella as well as of gender sensitive project approaches is preferred;
- Ability to apply good judgement in the context of assignments given, ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities;
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications strong analytical, research and documentation skills;
- Willingness to frequently travel to other regions in Ethiopia.
Only short-listed applicants who are considered for the position will be contacted. Any inquiry should be directed to Info Mind Solutions (Ethiojobs).