Advisor to Sustainable Landscape Management
|Location||Sheka Zone, SNNPR, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 4, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Advisor to Sustainable Landscape Management
GIZ- External Vacancy Announcement
Conservation and sustainable management of biodiversity and forests
The Project “Protection and sustainable use of natural resources in Ethiopia” aims to strengthen the capacities of institutions responsible for protected areas and forests for a climate-resilient management of selected landscapes in accordance with the interests of the local population. The upcoming new module of the project introduces innovative implementation approaches that promote a wider collaboration among local stakeholders, partners, communities, as well as the engagement of private actors in the restoration of degraded landscapes; the use of digital solutions for improving partners’ capacities and efficiency; and the expansion of the timber value chain.
Another new area of intervention of the project is the capacity development of partners for the selection and application of alternative financial mechanisms for the management and sustainable use of natural resources, like management delegation of protected areas or payment for ecosystem services. In each landscape, communities will be further integrated in decision making processes that reflect their interests and development needs.
The project supports national and regional partners in the institutionalization and up-scaling of the already developed instruments for the management of forests and protected areas through digital solutions and interactive platforms. Digital tools are also used for monitoring the overall contribution to international commitments and partner’s strategies.
The advisor to sustainable landscape management will be responsible for the implementation of project activities in one selected landscape. He/she will support the establishment and strengthening of an interinstitutional stakeholder platform and promote further intersectoral collaboration. He/she will technically advise local partner and stakeholder in the fields of forest-based landscape restoration, local economic development through the use of natural resources and support of the management of protected areas in the landscape.
Contract duration: July 31, 2024
- Responsible for the implementation of project activities in one landscape around a protected area.
- Support local stakeholders and partners in the establishment and strengthening of a stakeholder platform for the restoration and sustainable development of the landscape
- Support partners in recording the contributions of the interventions in the landscapes towards national strategies and international commitments
- Provide advisory services to protected area managers in:
- Preparation of gender-equitable mechanisms to engage communities in decision making processes in relation to the protected area and use and management of ecosystem services
- Increase the identification of the communities with the protected area towards supporting its conservation
- Coordinate with the local stakeholder platforms the development of livelihood opportunities with communities and linkages with the private sector
- Consolidation in the use of management instruments (digital solutions for monitoring, operationalization of management plans, among others)
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental economics, Natural Resource Management, Forestry, or other related fields
- 8 years’ professional experience in the sector of natural resource management, sustainable economic development, or forestry development
- Proven experience in the provision of advisory services in intersectoral and interinstitutional contexts in the areas of sustainable land use, landscape restoration, local economic development or protected area management in a landscape approach
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience with the use of digital monitoring tools applied to protected area management, forestry and economic development
- Excellent working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office), as well as GIS and remote sensing, and willingness to continuously apply new tools and functions
- Profound know-how in the application of GIZ rules, regulations, instruments and tools
- Excellent negotiating skills as well as intercultural and communication skills
- High level of self-organization and ability to work independently
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Amharic
- Willingness to continuously update know-how and skills in a changing environment
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number “Advisor to Sustainable Landscape Management #147/2021” in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”