|Location||Bahir Dar, Hawassa, Arba Minch, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 25, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Advisors, Institutional Development (Regional Level)
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #098/2021
CLM – Climate Sensitive Innovations for Land Management
Since 2008, the Ethiopian government, namely the Ministry of Agriculture, operates the Sustainable Land Management (SLM) program to reverse land degradation and increase agricultural productivity in the highlands. The SLMP aims at reaching two million households in more than 7,000 micro-watersheds in Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, Gambella, Oromia, SNNP and Tigray.
GIZ provides technical assistance to this national flagship program since its inception, at national, regional and local levels. The new program module “Climate-Sensitive Innovations in Land Management” (CLM) will run from July 2021 to June 2024). It focuses on capacity development of SLM actors through policy and institutional advisory, field-level coaching and advisory services, training, networking, piloting field activities as well as research and communications.
Contract duration: Until June 30, 2024
Required Candidates: 3
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Analyze and identify institutional barriers from local to regional level for implementing SLM programs
- Propose/design innovative capacity development approaches to overcome those barriers, including the identification of training needs
- Analyze best practices, and develop, present, advocate, coach and train concepts and modalities for the legal and operational formation and capacity development of effective, gender-equitable, and sustainable community-based institutions in watershed and land management
- Advise regional, zonal and woreda offices in the institutionalization of community-based watershed management through regulatory and operational means, including incentive mechanisms
- Review and update available training materials related to institutional development, and facilitate training of trainers
- Coordinate actors, including GIZ-seconded field advisors, towards supporting the capacity development of community-based SLM institutions
- Support the establishment of multi-stakeholder platforms and other mechanisms for knowledge exchange and joint action at regional, zone, woreda and community level
- Design and coordinate case studies and document lessons learned on impact of proposed institutional development measures
- Prepare periodic plans and reports
- Represent the CLM project in technical discussions related to institutional development
- Perform any other task given by the project management.
- MA in agriculture, rural development, natural resource management, development studies, public sector management or social and organisational sciences
- Excellent knowledge of English (C2) and Amharic, written and spoken.
- 5 years or more of professional experience as capacity development advisor of institutions for land management and /or community development
- 3 years or more proven track record in establishment of community-based organizations in the context of integrated watershed development
- Substantial (2 years or more), up-to-date experience in successfully working on institutional development for SLM in two or more settings
- Experience in initiating, organizing, and steering organizational change processes and designing appropriate interventions.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Self-starter and self-organizer, ready to achieve high standards of work, as documented through steady professional growth
- Team player with a focus on jointly achieved results
- Ambition to make a significant contribution to Ethiopia’s SLM agenda and practice
- Excellent proven capabilities as trainer; based on a participatory training methodology and the sound planning and evaluation of training events
- Proven experience to develop and build good working relationships with development partners, government organizations and other public and private sector actors.
- Willingness to learn independently and proactively
- Knowledge and understanding of the SLM sectors
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) and ICT
- Willingness and ability to undertake extensive field work and travel
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Advisors, Institutional Development (Regional Level) #098/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”