|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 25, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Advisors, Policy and Institutional Development
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #096/2021
CLM – Climate Sensitive Innovations for Land Management
Since 2008, the Ethiopian government, namely the Ministry of Agriculture, operates the Sustainable Land Management (SLM) program to reverse land degradation and increase agricultural productivity in the highlands. The SLMP aims at reaching two million households in more than 7,000 micro-watersheds in Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, Gambella, Oromia, SNNP and Tigray.
GIZ provides technical assistance to this national flagship program since its inception, at national, regional and local levels. The new program module “Climate-Sensitive Innovations in Land Management” (CLM) will run from July 2021 to June 2024. It focuses on capacity development of SLM actors through policy and institutional advisory, field-level coaching and advisory services, training, networking, piloting field activities as well as research and communications.
Contract duration: Until June 30, 2024
Required Candidates: 2
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Advise on, undertake and co-ordinate the formulation and review of Natural Resource Management (NRM) sector policies as well as related institutional and program strategies at federal and regional levels
- Advise on and facilitate NRM policy, program strategy and institutional change processes through organizing expert and stakeholder consultations
- Develop policy and strategy briefs
- Analyze data sets, case evidence and (secondary) research findings, based on scientific standards
- Conduct legal and regulatory review
- Facilitate and coordinate capacity development measures for NRM policy and program stakeholders
- Compile, produce and edit reports
- Develop and manage relationships with MoA, regional governments, civil society, private sector, and other relevant actors
- Perform any other task given by the project management.
- MA or preferably PhD in agriculture, rural development, natural resource management, development studies, economic development or other relevant subjects.
- Excellent knowledge of English (C2, C3 preferable) and Amharic, written and spoken.
- 10 years or more of professional experience in agriculture, natural resource management, economic development or related areas within government, an international agency and/or the private sector.
- 5 years or more of experience in policy implementation (at an implementing agency, or at a ministry steering policy implementation)
- 3 years or more in a senior advisory or leadership role in a multicultural and international environment
- Ability and readiness to competently and efficiently handle corporate rules and regulations
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Self-starter and self-organizer, ready to achieve high standards of work, as documented through steady professional growth
- Ambition to make a significant contribution to Ethiopia’s SLM agenda and practice
- Outstanding, proven skills in systemic and strategic thinking, planning and management.
- Understanding of global quality benchmarks and standards for policy advisory (i.e. policy briefs, white papers, etc from major think tanks) and proven ability to meet them
- Proven experience to develop and build good working relationships with development partners, government organizations and other public and private sector actors.
- Proven ability to communicate about complex and sensitive issues in a public sector environment; in face-to-face interaction as well as through presentations, short papers
- Experience, methodological knowledge and proven ability regarding the organization of workshops
- Knowledge and understanding of the SLM sector
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) and ICT
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Advisors, Policy and Institutional Development #096/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”