|Location||Borena Zone , Liben/Dawa Zone of Somali Region , South Omo Zones, SNNPR, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 11, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Founded in 1961, PCI is an international non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing health, ending hunger, overcoming hardship, and advance women and girls around the world. PCI has been registered and working in Ethiopia since 2005. PCI has five decades of experience and demonstrated impact in long-term development and community health, and 40 years of experience managing large-scale US Government (USG) grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements. It manages a portfolio of integrated programming that includes significant projects addressing food, nutrition, and livelihood security; community based DRR, climate change, reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health; HIV/AIDS; other diseases; water, sanitation, and hygiene; and humanitarian assistance/disaster risk reduction programs.
AfriScout is an innovative, Base of Pyramid (BOP) social enterprise and a subsidiary of PCI. AfriScout is seeking to improve climate-smart management of northern Ethiopia’s drylands and the livestock that rely on them by scaling access and use of AfriScout, a mobile application that provides pastoralists with actionable grazing data. With the support of USAID, Google, and other donors, PCI developed grazing maps that fuse traditional livestock herding knowledge and practices with real-time satellite imagery on vegetation and water that is then integrated into an android-based mobile application. Since its inception, PCI and AfriScout have reached over 11,000 users. Through the investment of USAID, among others, PCI aims to expand its reach and build a financially sustainable social enterprise.
The community engagement coordinator will be a part of a DRM team that is enhancing the way pastoralists make migration decisions by providing relevant digital information. Project Concern International (PCI) seeks to recruit an individual who is mission-driven, passionate and experienced in community engagement and mobilization, and is excited about the opportunity to work on a social enterprise project that could have huge impact for some of the most marginalized populations in Ethiopia and across the continent. The social enterprise will be focused launching the AfriScout mobile app in Ethiopia and further integrating its use in the participatory rangeland management system. The successful candidate’s assignment will involve some aspects of sales, marketing, and field-level management, customer education and adoption, zonal stakeholder engagement & management, zonal monitoring and evaluation, and quality assurance.
Department: Disaster Risk Management (DRM)
Reports to: AfriScout/PRM Regional Coordinator
Direct reports: None
Number of positions: 3 positions (one position per zone)
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the AfriScout Regional Coordinator in liaising with zonal and woreda governments, collaborating NGOs and other relevant actors
Mapping of community grazing areas
- Support in planning for and execution of community mapping exercises in assigned pastoral counties
- Support in the documentation of the mapping exercise
Product launch and orientation in assigned counties
- Support in event planning and mobilization of community members for marketing efforts and product demonstrations
- Support in the orientation and training of the communities on the use of the AfriScout application
- Lead in recruitment, training, coaching and supervision of a cadre of part-time field agents
- Manage field-based team schedules, travel facilitation, commissions, and reporting
Sales and Marketing
- Execute multichannel marketing plan as well as customer support plan and contribute to the improvement of plans as needed
- Manage customer on-boarding, engagement, and conversions to subscriptions
Performance monitoring and reporting
- Monitor and ensure regional targets for product activations, sales volumes, staff performance and other impact metrics are met
- Provide ongoing monitoring and quality assurance on user posts and feedback using proprietary administrator web platform
- Analyze and produce regional progress reports
Participatory Range land Management
- Support communities in the development of PRM plans and monitor the execution of those plans;
- Ensure harmonization of customary PRM with AfriScout pasture information
- Ensure AfriScout and PRM is well integrated into the RIPA activities
- Provide capacity building and guidance within the AfriScout and PRM contexts
- Monitor progress and make recommendation for improvement of all AfriScout and PRM management activities
Other duties as assigned
POSITION PARAMETERS/SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES REQUIRED:
- This position is based in at Zonal capital with up to 60% time traveling to assigned pastoral kebeles within the woredas where the application is relevant.
- Bachelor’s degree in development-related in Business Administration, PRM/NRM Communication or related fields;
- At least 3+ years of experience in the disciplinary area, e.g., market development / sales & marketing / community development
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with pastoral communities
- A proven skill-set in the area of outreach and extension, facilitation, and community mobilization.
- Strong local networks in pastoral woredas; experience and relationships working with players in the Ethiopia BoP markets or livestock market system is highly desired
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills in English and Amharic languages. Ability to speak Oromiffa and Somali is a requirement.
- Basic budgeting, procurement, and staff supervision experience.
- Proficient smartphone and computer skills and technological savvy; Google Analytics and Firebase Analytics experience a plus.
- Flexibility and ability to transition across a variety of roles and settings – from the village to the board room.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work a nontraditional work schedule.
- Balance: combining patience, empathy, and honesty with the assertiveness, clout and drive to see any job through to the end.
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment.
- Familiarity with aspects of extensive livestock production in Ethiopia is a plus.
- Strong experience working with digital/GIS applications used by new digital users
- Change-maker: Has a passion for the mission and values of PCI and AfriScout
- Innovator: Seeks creative solutions to problems and challenges existing paradigms
- Edifier: Able to inspire and motivate a team and build trust with communities
- Ally: Possesses an appreciation and respect for local customs and traditions
The closing date for this application is April 20, 2020. Interested applicants who meet the qualifications should send their application letter and Curriculum Vitae on Ethiojobs.net on or before the closing date. Applicants must clearly indicate in their application letter the duty station that they are applying for.
Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply.