|Location||West Arsi zone (Kokosa, Arsi Nagelle and Wondo Woredas), Oromia, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 27, 2021|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The European Cooperative for Rural Development (EUCORD) is recruiting a Project Agronomist for the BOOST SECO (Barley Organization Of Supply and Training in South East and Central Oromia) Project, an agricultural development project funded by IFC-World Bank Group, Soufflet Malt Ethiopia & Heineken Brewery S.C. Ethiopia. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications for this position are described in below position description.
EUCORD is a Brussels-based non-profit organization incorporated under Dutch Cooperative Law since 2003. EUCORD’s mission is to increase farmers’ capacity to sustainably grow quality crops matched to the commercial needs of the agribusiness sector and in doing so, increase food security, develop the private sector and improve the livelihoods of rural communities.
The Agronomist will assist in ensuring the implementation of the project is done in accordance with the strategic directions and objectives of the project that will be implemented in close collaboration with local partners and local authorities; to ensure consistency of implementation of the project with national policies and strategies under the supervision of the project agronomist. The position requires frequent travel to field location sites within the project area.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work on implementing good farming practices in collaboration with communities and partners
- Undertake farmer mobilization and group formation, training and capacity building
- Work in alignment with the other Project Agronomists, Cluster Coordinators and Managers
- Undertake the recruitment of farmers and adequate acreage in the region to deliver targeted quantities of malt barley to meet project targets
- Undertake regular field visits to the project areas to assure project progress towards activity objectives and goals
- Work in consultation with the Project Agronomists, Cluster Coordinators and Managers
- in capacity building of the local communities, partners and staff through training, workshops, and field days
- Make frequent farm site visits and provide technical advice to farmers and DAs
- Organize and coordinate lessons learnt from workshops and field days
- Organize demonstration plots with improved farm practices in all project’s operational areas
- Ensure farmers meet targets allocated to them
- Ensure timely availability and distribution of quality malt barley seed
- Advise farmers on the best production techniques and ensure good agronomic practices are applied to produce better yields and quality malt barley
- Carry out assessments to determine malt barley yields to assist management to determine adequacy, deficits and storage needs together with other Project Agronomists
- Perform other duties as may be required.
- The Agronomist will report to the Area Coordinator
Required #: 3
Locations: West Arsi zone (Kokosa, Arsi Nagelle and Wondo Woredas)
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a B.Sc. degree in Agriculture, Crop Science, Agronomy, or related field
- Strong agronomical background on the production of malt barley and field management skills
- Minimum of four years’ experience on malt barley and related crops production and protection
- Experience in crop value chain development and working with smallholder farmers
- Good interpersonal and oral and written communication skills in English, Amharic and Afan Oromo
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel
- Ability to travel within the project locations
- Flexibility to work both in a team and independently
- Strong team building and networking skills
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and operate effectively in a deadline-driven environment.
- Passionate about working with smallholder farmers
- Motorcycle driving license
Applications submitted after 5 July 2021 are not accepted
Applications should be accompanied by a cover letter, a detailed CV, names of at least three (3) referees.
Interested candidates should also clearly state their current and expected remuneration. Applications shall be submitted to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
In order to be considered, please make sure to fill out the online questionnaire on: https://eucord.org/opportunities/