|Location||Addis Ababa with frequent travel to field, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 3, 2021|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
JOB TITLE: Agronomist
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
PROJECT: Capacity Building Support (CBS) of Non-state and State Stakeholders in CC and
DUTY STATION: Addis Ababa
DURATION: One year with a possibility of extension
Farm Africa is an international NGO founded in 1985, with a vision to see a prosperous rural Africa. We are a specialist development NGO working with smallholder farmers and forest communities, local governments and the private sector in Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. We are technical experts in the fields of agronomy, livestock, natural resource management and market engagement. With community engagement underpinning our approach, we design and implement sustainable solutions to rural poverty based on evidence and best practice. Farm Africa Ethiopia is implementing a large number of programmes and projects in the areas of agriculture (crop and livestock), natural resources management and market engagement across Ethiopia. We are increasingly designing and implementing complex and integrated multi-sector projects, some by ourselves and some others in partnership with like-minded organizations in the form of consortium.
Growth for the future (G4F) is a SIDA funded programme implemented by Farm Africa in partnership with UEWCA, ORDA and Mercy Corps in five regional states of Ethiopia. The programme supports effective and sustainable rural development by implementing four projects focusing on climate smart agriculture, market engagement, improved natural resources management and capacity building of stakeholders. The overall goal of the programme is to build the resilience of vulnerable communities and landscapes through improved natural resource management, increased market integration and building capacity of stakeholders for the provision of quality services which will contribute to sustainable increases in productivity and income. Farm Africa is looking for qualified personnel for the Job position of an Agronomist to provide over all technical support in the areas of agriculture to the G4F projects and over all Farm Africa portfolio.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The role of the Agronomist is to provide overall technical leadership in the areas of climate smart crop production for the G4F projects and over all Farm Africa portfolio. This includes in the planning and implementation of all measures related to crops development where Farm Africa engaged to run different projects in climate-compatible way. The post holder will provide technical advice on climate-smart crop production, crop protection, improved crop production practices, promotion of small-scale irrigation scheme combined with best agronomic practices and promote high value crops that provide quick and high return. She/he will coordinate farm demonstration site establishment following the Farmer Field School approach and ensure that beneficiaries use improved agronomic techniques and technologies. In addition, the post holder will engage in documentation of best practices, learnings and lessons in the areas of climate-smart crop production and productivity. Moreover, she/he will involve and contribute in designing of new projects in the areas of climate-smart crop production.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONISBILITES
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Lead design of appropriate practices and provide technical support in the areas of crop and vegetables production.
- Advise on the cultivation of food crops, vegetables, fruit trees and fodder crops with climate-smart thinking and action;
- Design and assist in implementing demonstration plots for innovative agricultural crops & agronomic practices;
- Provide technical support to the post-harvest handling and marketing of local crop products;
- Working together with G4F program team and Farm Africa technical team to support smallholder crop farmers to produce better while adopting to climate variability and climate change driven extremes.
- Taking part in supervision of works related to crop agronomy and protection.
- Ensure that all agricultural activities are contributing towards the development of sustainable agriculture.
- Lead studies, assessments, documentation of best practices/lessons and activities related to climate smart crop production.
- Advice project teams on best practices to ensure quality outcomes for all crop production activities.
- Work with the project and program team and technical expertise to develop and refine tools and systems in relation to crop production, agronomic practices, CSA and related.
- Work with project stakeholders to ensure they are inclusive in crop farming approaches that support small holder farmers.
- Work with the PM, the programme’s MEL Expert and Farm Africa’s Quality and Impact team, to ensure the programme’s M&E system properly monitors and evaluates Agricultural objectives.
- Work with Farm Africa MEL team in establishing baselines and follow-up of project indicators.
- Together with project staffs prepare work plans and budget in line with project proposal.
- Collaborating with the project staffs, provide technical support and liaise with the staffs of relevant government partners and research organizations in the areas of agriculture.
- Actively participate in regular planning, monitoring and evaluation of project progress.
- Ensure that voluntary farmers & beneficiaries are targeted in the implementation of activities.
- Develop training manuals and other knowledge products relevant to climate-smart crop production.
- Coordinate and run training on improved agronomic practices in collaboration with Farm Africa and partners staff.
- Provide training on climate smart crop production for project beneficiaries including sensitizing of climate change and its adaptation.
- Monitor and document the project progress, lessons, good experience and impact with the community representatives.
- Submit weekly/bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and bi-annual as well as field reports to the Program Manager.
- Establish and maintain good working relationship with GO and NGO and community members.
- Keep up to date with developments in the sector, including best practice examples, to ensure on going organizational and personal development and learning
- Performs other duties as assigned by the line manager.
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
|Education, qualifications & other knowledge|
|MSc/BSc in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Crop sciences, Arid land agriculture, Extension and other related disciplines|
Knowledge of the agriculture development & policy environment in Ethiopia
Knowledge of crop productivity, small scale irrigation-based farming and CSA practices
Knowledge of gender and social inclusiveness
|At least five years of practical work experience in the field of agricultural crop production, small scale irrigation, CSA and related.||Previous NGO work experience in rural development,|
|Good Experience in rural development particularly in diversified livelihood and participatory research approaches.||Experience with international organization, public sector institutions and/or funding agencies|
|Practical experience in providing training on crop production and protection to staffs and smallholder farmers.||Application of crop modelling and analysis software such as CropWat and AquaCrop.|
|Experience of project planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.|
|Skills & abilities|
Excellent ability to develop and translate plans into cost-effective operations and activities in line with identified and available resources.
Very good English language skills (written and spoken)
Computer literacy, crop-related computer software applications, excellent record keeping and report writing
|Strong communication and interpersonal skills||,.|
Good team building skills and the ability to work in a multi partner approach
Training need assessment and training facilitation
|Willingness to frequently travel to rural/marginal areas, ability to work with minimum supervision|
|Strong sense of integrity and personal commitment to the goals and values of Farm Africa|
|Good community level facilitation and coordination skills|
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 4 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Agronomist for G4F Program by July 13, 2021.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Farm Africa is an equal opportunity employer and promotes gender equity. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Farm Africa does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. (E.g. Application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).