|Location||Bahir Dar, Amhara, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 5, 2021|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Felege-Ghion Agricultural Inputs and Products Import Export Sc is a share company and the first agricultural inputs importer established in Amhara region. The primary goal of the company is to import high quality agricultural inputs and supply the inputs to the local farmers in sustainable manner, thereby enhance the accessibility of the inputs to the farmers and promote knowledge-based utilization and handling of agricultural inputs by providing technical training and advisory services. The company main objectives are to import all the acceptable agricultural inputs and exports the agricultural products there-by doing so play its role in enhancing agricultural production and productivity of the region and maximize profit.
The company is looking for an experienced and knowledgeable technical expert in plant/horticultural profession who is familiar with crop protection and agronomic related inputs such as agro-chemicals, improved cereal and horticultural seeds, farm tools and machinery services as well as experienced in farmers training, demonstration, and extension service. The position holder is responsible for the overall technical aspects of the crop related inputs for planning the importation, distributing, promotion, and demand creation activities including research and products/chemical registration processes.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct input demand assessment for the various agricultural inputs related to crop production and protection so that the inventory will be stocked based on the demanded.
- Plan and recommend the importation of appropriate agrochemicals and other pesticides as well as improved seeds and farm tools based on the outcome of input demand assessments.
- Search for international companies which produce agrochemicals, improved seeds and farm tools and facilitate the agreement and negotiation processes for the input’s registration and importation.
- Play active role to register agricultural inputs (seeds, chemicals, or others) by ministry of Agriculture.
- Communicate with the responsible government offices to prepare aggregate plan for agricultural inputs in the region.
- Provide technical support for AOSS staffs and owners while marketing crop inputs.
- Assess, identify, and plan major export crops and other agricultural products to be exported and participate with GM and board of SC in creating marketing linkages with national and international stakeholders.
- Plan, organize and technically lead improved seed multiplication for selected crops and involve in export crops production by discussing with the GM and the board of Sc.
- Organize promotional events for new products and services and create demand by conducting series of demonstration, field days, and experience sharing events.
- Make good relationship with input retailers, wholesalers, importers, multinationals companies, local input manufacturers, regulatory bodies, and other relevant development partner operating in the sector.
- Supervise and support salesclerks (agro-chemical and other input dispensers) and make sure that they are well acquainted with agricultural inputs stocked in the company and are knowledgeable about the usage and safety precautions.
- Work closely with the regional agriculture bureau and other lower-level offices of the government structure including zone, woreda and kebele levels to ease importation and promotion of new product and machinery services.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager of a company.
Report to: - General Manager
Term of Employment: -One year with possible extension
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree (BSc) or master’s degree (MSc) in Plant Science, Crop Protection, Horticulture, Agronomy, Breeding, and other related field of studies.
- Minimum of 8 years (for BSc) and 6 years (for MSc) as agronomist, crop protection expert or horticulture expert and good knowledge of agricultural inputs supply system and utilization in Ethiopia and the region.
- Proven experience in extension services, farmers training, demonstration and organizing field days and good knowledge of the crop production package system.
- Good understanding of the private sector, commercial farming, and import-export marketing of agricultural inputs.
- Having strong interpersonal and communication skills and desire to be of service.
- Fluency in Amharic and English languages is required.
- Proficient in Microsoft office operations.
It is mandatory to mention the position title in the subject line of your application email.
Please DO NOT submit scans of educational and experience certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
You can register physically here:
Infront of Commercial Bank of Ethiopia Bahir Dar District, Kebele 04, Arusil Bahir Dar Barket Center Building, 1rst floor office No. 1FB-15
Mobile +251 94398 6940