|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 11, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|Job title:||Area Finance Manager|
|Location:||Gambela, Afar, E/W Hararghe, Somalia, Borena and Tigray|
|Reports to:||Technically to Deputy Head of Finance & Administratively to Area Manager|
|Number of Posts||6(Six)|
|Closing date:||November 19, 2022|
GOAL’s mission is to work with the most vulnerable communities to help them respond to and recover from humanitarian crises, and to assist them to build transcendent solutions to mitigate poverty and vulnerability.
GOAL is a non-for profit organization that has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years across all the region of the country towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food and livelihoods, water and sanitation, nutrition, healthcare and education. GOAL implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience, recovery and humanitarian responses Programmes by being sensitive to cross-cutting issues including gender, accountably, child protection, HIV/AIDS.
We envision a world where poverty no longer exist, where vulnerable communities are resilient, where barriers to wellbeing are removed and where everyone has equal rights and opportunities. GOAL Ethiopia’s main donors are Irish Aid, USAID/OFDA, EHF, ECHO and other private donors.
About the Position:
The Area Finance Manager will be responsible for ensuring effective systems are implemented in an efficient way that can facilitate effective financial transactions, recording, posting and timely reporting to management, government, and donors. In Addition to this the Area finance manager will work with area managers and other system team in preparing area specific budgets and proposals.
The Area Finance Manager will have a functional supporting and supervisory role to field Senior finance officer in guiding, directing, capacitating, and following up on their performance and delivery of their required outputs together with the Area managers and woreda Programme Managers who have a direct supervisory responsibility for the above jobholders.
Key Areas of Accountability/Duties
· The primary responsibility of the Area Finance Manager is to ensure the proper financial management of all funds and ensure timely and accurate preparation of monthly accounts consisting of the DSR, Sage inputs and schedules, and supplementary schedules and ensure that all are consistent with all information from prime books of accounts and all duly approved journals.
· To review and import area Cash book and journals after head office Finance manager and Deputy head of finance reviews.
· Ensure all supplementary schedules are promptly and accurately prepared on monthly basis.
· On a weekly basis follow up on all floats, other accountabilities, outstanding debtors, and creditors and notify management of the need for any remedial actions.
· Promptly respond to any queries on the management accounts from GOAL head office in Addis and any technical team visitors.
· Review, consolidate and submit monthly funds request to HO for his/her Area.
· Ensure that all cash management systems are complied with and reported on. Work with the head office finance manager and other senior management to agree any waiver requests to be sent to HQ in Dublin.
· Support the preparation of budgets and budget narratives for proposals to donors, government and other bodies and prepare financial reports on current funding for GOAL, donors, government, and other external bodies specific to her/his area of management.
· Work Closely with program and other support teams in budget modifications and re-alignments as necessary.
· Work with Area management to ensure they have properly allocated staff time (in all locations) using a fair and auditable basis and that this is reflected in all budgets and financial reports (both internal and external) and that this is explicitly monitored in the Budget Monitoring Tool (BMT) process.
· Work with the Logistics manager and other Area manager to ensure core costs in the region have been equitably allocated to all grants in the region.
· Work very closely with Area manager to ensure that key managers have up to date, accurate financial information to facilitate planning and response. This will include, but not be limited to, issuing a monthly GMT showing actual expenditures to the programme team by the tenth working day of the month, ensuring that the GMT is completed with forecast information, reports on commitments and use of prior month funding and is returned by the 13th working day of the month from the relevant budget holder, and reviewing and sending comments on the analysis returned by the budget holder by the 15th working day of the month.
· Attend all grant management meetings for Area projects. Follow up on all finance related matters arising from each grant management meeting related to the area grants.
· Attend external and internal meetings for all matters relating to projects as appropriate.
· Support the preparation of detailed implementation plans, including the allocation of individual donor funding to activities and ensuring accurate forecasts and spends.
· Monitor and control current expenditures, liaising with programme staff when necessary, to ensure that expenditure stays within available funding and agreed budgets using budget-monitoring tools and highlight, as appropriate, under/overspends and agree actions required with respective senior management.
· Review all bid analyses and payment request forms received in the finance department.
· Review monthly funds requests from Area offices, ensuring that funds are tracked and that cash balances held in the field are kept to the minimum needed for effective programme implementation.
· Ensure that all cash advances are issued and accounted for, with all necessary waivers if applicable, in accordance with GOAL’s financial procedures. Prepare reports on all aspects of cash management as required within the GOAL finance manual.
· Support the opening of bank accounts in all project locations (where possible) and ensure that all GOAL finance procedures are complied with and reported promptly.
· Support the preparation of year-end financial statements, arrange and ensure timely completion of year-end audit. Liaise with auditors with respect to donor and GOAL Dublin audit requirements and facilitate audit work.
· Maintain and improve appropriate systems of internal control, particularly with respect to field office sites, and make use of IT where appropriate to improve financial systems.
· Review monthly payrolls for Area office and ensure correct allocation to donor budgets and that all necessary taxes are paid to the authorities in a timely manner.
· Ensure that staff allocation percentages are properly posted to the shared drive and informed to the Area Human Resources in line with GOAL Ethiopia procedures.
· Work with the Human resource to ensure that timesheets are correctly prepared and authorized and support the payroll and postings to the accounts package.
· Ensure that both donors’ and GOAL’s financial procedures and policies are adhered to at all times. Ensure donor guidelines are followed at all times.
· Ensure that all VAT recoverable under donor guidelines is correctly processed, monitored and recorded properly. Report to the Head of Finance and senior management any VAT reclaimed but not received within 10 working days of each month end.
· Ensure confidentiality of all GOAL Ethiopia financial data at all times, ensuring that no information is reported externally without sign off by either the Assistant Country Director (Systems) or the Country Director
· Assist the Head office Finance manager wherever possible with donor liaison.
· Make regular site visits and ensure that field staff (local and expatriate) including regional and field programme managers are trained in financial reporting and financial procedures for field site operations. Submit reports and any findings on all site visits to the DHOF within one working day of the visit.
· To work at all times in a manner that promotes teamwork within GOAL and assist in the achievement of GOAL’s programme aims.
· Capacitate, guide and supervise respective subordinates, ensuring that all tasks as described by their job descriptions have been carried out in a timely manner and ensure tasks are completed with the skill and competence needed to ensure accuracy of accounting data.
· Carry out appraisals of all subordinates in an effective and timely manner in line with GOAL Ethiopia’s human resources manual.
· Other tasks and responsibilities as directed by immediate supervisor or senior management
Mainstreaming issues (general description of the responsibility of the job holder in terms of Gender, Child Protection, Environment and HIV/AIDS issues.)
· Familiarize self, understand and implement, according to area of responsibility, GOAL’s policies and procedures on mainstreaming of Gender, HIV/AIDS and Child Protection.
· Integrate diversity issues into day-to-day working practices, policies and procedures and monitors practices for any disproportionate impact.
· Actively promote staff sensitivity and awareness of Gender, HIV/AIDS and Child Protection issues.
· Be approachable and give positive, practical support to staff who may feel vulnerable, victimized or unfairly treated.
· Act as a role model and provide feedback to encourage others in supporting employment equity and diversity principals, and the accommodation of other differences in the workplace. Model the flexibility required for working in a diverse environment.
· Familiarize self and understand GOAL’s donor compliance issues, specifically with respect to the terms and conditions of the donor or donors the programmes are funded by and comply with same in area of responsibility.
· Participate in grant management meetings and present respective part to participants,
· While preparing and finalizing donor financial budgets and workings, make sure that they are sent to the Donor Compliance Department so they can place them in the central donor section.
GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safeguarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other policy, rules and regulation of the organization.
GOAL Ethiopia is committed to safeguarding and promoting the safety of people who involves in its work and demands all staff exhibit the highest commitment. GOAL Ethiopia will verify skills and commitment of the candidate in the assessment process and perform Background reference check.
Do you want to join an exciting organization that brings high level impact to the community and add value to your professional advancement? Then join us if you have:
- BA in Accounting or related field with a minimum of 4 - 6 years of related work experience of which at least 3 years is at management level in an international NGO managing large budget programmes funded by USAID/OFDA/BHA, ECHO,UN agencies, Irish Aid, etc.
- Ability to work with advanced excel, SAGE, proficiency in standard office software packages; proficiency in verbal and written English; firm belief in teamwork, demonstrated technical and managerial ability, sound judgment, ability to interact and work effectively with others at all levels; excellent communicator, facilitator and trainer; flexible and capable of working with an international country team; attention to detail, ability to work to deadlines.
- Keeping confidentiality, accountability, excellence, adaptability, innovation, coaching, facilitating change, developing teams, planning and organizing..
Desirable quality, skill and competence
· Resilience: maintains focus and intensity and remains optimistic, persistent and professional even under adverse, stressful or difficult situations.
· Continually looks to improve personal skills, knowledge and work and hence contributes to capacity building within the team and organization,
Note: This description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
REMUNERATION and BENEFITS:
· GOAL will pay a competitive basic salary based on the salary grading with addition benefits.
· A chance to develop tangible experience.
· Being part of a team who continue to make a real difference to the lives of the most vulnerable people.