Assistant Compliance Officer
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 6, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Assistant Compliance Officer
Country Office: Ethiopia
Work Base: Addis Ababa
Availability: As Soon As Possible
Salary Scale: EMS05
Insurance - (Life, Group Personal Accident, and Medical Insurances are covered upon the organization policies).
Seniority Allowance – paid to depend on the years of service.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children and we enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 8,000 staff in over 50 countries, our programs reached 17 million people in 2019.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience.
Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2020/2021 are BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, and others.
I. Summary of position
Execute multiple tasks under the Compliance & Audit section including the archiving task
The Assistant Compliance Officer role’s purpose, engagement, and delivery are:
- Purpose (The substantive focus of the job encompassing scope, depth, and difficulty of work both conceptual and applied)
Objective 1: Financial Document Management
- Follow up on reception of hardcopy documents from the field
- Remind field finance team in case of delay of sending documents
- Reconcile each proof of payment with transaction type and the amount reported
- Communicate with field team in case of missed documents
- Check for translation of supporting documents. If not, do translation
Objective 2: Compliance Review of Supporting Documents
- Check the completeness of supporting documents of each transaction as per the standard compliance checklist received from the field and on the LINK system as well
- Use the compliance checklist to make sure the supporting documents are compliant with the standard
- Check some transactions like staff perdiem are charged on the appropriate budget line by referring to the tasks listed in the perdiem request
- Produce a summarized report of missing supporting documents
- Share the report to the Deputy Country Finance Manager: Compliance & Audit
- Take actions based on the directions from Deputy Country Finance Manager: Compliance & Audit
Objective 3: Pre-Procurement Compliance Check
- Review pre-procurement supporting documents in LINK system or hardcopy for sensitive transactions with a significant amount
- Report to Deputy Country Finance Manager: Compliance & Audit the findings
- Take action as per the direction from Deputy Country Finance Manager: Compliance & Audit
- Make sure the procurement process is in compliance in collaboration with Deputy Country Finance Manager: Compliance & Audit
Objective 4: Archiving
- Archiving the financial documents as per the standard either in hardcopy or electronic system or both
- Engagement: (The focus of interaction both internally and externally needed to deliver a service seek collaboration and build effective partnerships)
Objective 5: Take Part in the Audit Process
- Prepare transaction documents based on the sample selected
- Conduct pre-audit review of sample documents
- Report to the Deputy Country Finance Manager: Compliance & Audit in case of missing documents or missing information and take action as per the instruction from then
- Provide support on the course of the audit
Objective 6: Shared Tasks
- Take part in the training sessions of the department as a mentor
- Take part in the inductions for newly recruited staffs of finance and non-finance
- Regular field visit to the bases to provide technical support
- Support the team in universal tasks
- Provide support in actions assigned by the Supervisor/Head of Department
- Delivery: (The focus on the execution of the work and the role on the team for supporting business/operational functions in terms of timeliness and quality)
- Present financial documents upon request from the finance team
- Present financial documents to staff other than finance upon request and authorization from the Deputy Country Finance Manager: Compliance & Audit
II. Supervisory Responsibilities
III. Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
IV. Fiscal Responsibility
V. Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VI. Working Conditions, Travel, and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as infectious diseases.
I. Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Accounting and Finance related
- 2+ years related working experience
II. Required Skills & Competencies
- Good command of the English language, Accounting software, Strong Analytical skills, Strong planning skill, Ability to forecast, Computer skill, Good oral and written Communication Skill, Decision making skill, Problem-solving skills, Ability to work to deadlines
- Professionalism, Team Work, Proactive, Motivational, Autonomy
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, a Covering Letter with “Assistant Compliance Officer” written in the subject line, and three references, applicants should only apply to the following address:
NB: Only shortlisted applicants will be, communicated on and the selection process includes technical tests and an interview.
All candidates should apply online at HTTPS:// http://www.ethiojobs.net// Action Against Hunger- the USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment