|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 18, 2020|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
GOAL has been working in Ethiopia for over 30 years, towards ensuring the poorest and most vulnerable, and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate shelter, food, water and sanitation, healthcare and education. GOAL Ethiopia implements a range of multi-sectoral development, resilience and humanitarian responses, targeting refugees, internally displaced communities, vulnerable chronically poor pastoralist and rural small holder farmers, street-connected children and youth, and communities affected by humanitarian and sudden onset emergencies – primarily drought, flooding, disease and conflict. GOAL works closely with communities and local Government, addressing issues of poverty, building capacity to respond to shocks and stresses, and helping to prevent and mitigate the impact of disasters.
The programme has a strong focus on the nutrition, health, WASH, food security, and economic development sectors, incorporating aspects of resilience building, market system development, systems strengthening, behavior change and inclusion within our approaches. Gender and child protection are mainstreamed throughout all programming. Accountability to communities, project participants and all stakeholders is an integral element of all responses. GOAL Ethiopia operates a country-wide response, currently operational in Oromiya, Somali, Afar, Gambella, SNNP, Beshangl Gumz and Addis Ababa.
GOAL envisages a world where poverty and hunger no longer exist, where communities are resilient and prepared for seasonal shocks, where structural and cultural barriers to growth are removed and where every man, woman and child, has equal right and access to resources and opportunities.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE AND OBJECTIVES
The objective of the ACDP role is to provide overall leadership, management and strategic vision in programme implementation and expansion of the GOAL Ethiopia. The ACDP is a key member of GOAL Ethiopia’s senior management team, with significant input to strategic development and decision making processes, as well as realization of strategic and programmatic objectives. Working closely with the Country Director, the ACDP will have a key role in determining future strategies and will also be heavily involved in the planning of any new activities.
She/he is primarily responsible to oversee the timely and quality implementation of emergency, humanitarian and development responses across the country, ensuring that GOAL Ethiopia’s projects respond to the needs on the ground and achieve stated objectives and results, and are comply with all reporting and implementation rules and requirements.
In addition, the ACDP will be responsible for ensuring harmonization of GOAL Ethiopia’s programme departments, ensuring complementary responses, integration of emergency and development sectoral responses, linking emergency and development activities, and mainstreaming of cross-cutting issues.
The ACDP will be responsible for the development and humanitarian response programme, functionally overseeing the technical sector coordinators, field programme managers, monitoring and evaluation team, and grants and communications staff, while working closely with the Refugee Programme Manager. The ACDP will work closely both with well-motivated and experienced managers in the field and at head office supporting GOAL programmes.
The ACDP is responsible for overseeing the development and submission of a high-quality Donor proposals including consortium applications. A significant element of the ACDP role will be to build GOAL’s reputation with key Donors and partners, and develop GOAL’s portfolio of long-term development funding.
In additional to overseeing the programmatic, strategic and technical elements of operations, the ACDP will work closely with all departments and is expected to have a clear understanding of all facets of operations, including finance, logistics, HR, procurement, and Donor compliance, to ensure programmes are in line with Government, Donor, and GOAL rules and regulations.
The holder of this post must possess strong leadership skills with the ability to maintain a broad perspective. She/he will undertake innovative approaches, be agile in the conceptualization of new programme ideas and will be well versed in strategic thinking and planning. She/he will also have ability to analyze multiple priorities under tight deadlines, and to calmly and diplomatically deal with unexpected events impacting programme operations. The ideal candidate will be familiar with market systems-based programmes, concepts of behavior change and inclusion, and will demonstrate cultural knowledge and sensitivity, while also demonstrating skills and ability to build and maintain partnerships with international organizations and private sector partners. The ACDP must have strong interpersonal skills, have strong personnel management capacities, and an ability to communicate and manage expectations of many stakeholders.
Programme Delivery and Design
- Provide leadership and strategic direction in the design and delivery of GOAL Ethiopia’s programmes
- Oversee the strategic, programmatic and technical elements of the country programme and ensure projects are well designed, delivered on time and on budget, are appropriately monitored and evaluated and delivered as expected.
- Ensure solid understanding of the needs, challenges and priorities of the current programme within the Ethiopian operational context as well as understanding the opportunities and priorities in alignment with Government of Ethiopia’s Growth and Transformation Agenda, Humanitarian Response Documents, and other relevant Government strategies
- Ensure that GOAL is delivering to our communities in an integrated and unified way, which involves leading regular and appropriate forums for information exchange across and between programme sectors, and effective grant and programme planning and management.
- Ensure GOAL programmes effectively mainstream key elements of Gender, Child Protection, HIV and Environment, and Accountability
- Oversee the M&E function to ensure strong monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes, conduct learning reviews on a periodic basis and share and integrate learning into current and future interventions.
- Working closely with the technical team and field programme managers to design high quality programmes that effectively respond to the needs while supporting sustainable exit strategies.
- Ensure solid understanding and hands-on experience on market systems concept and resilience programming and various measuring tools.
- Working closely with GOAL’s global Technical Team in the design of responses
Programme Growth and Strategic Direction
- In conjunction with the Country Director, develop a Country Plan Strategy and Fund raising strategy, and regularly monitor Donor and partnership opportunities and their fit with GOAL capabilities and priorities for development of key Donors
- Provide leadership and strategic direction within the GOAL Ethiopia programme
- Support the Country Director in the development of a 5-year Country Strategic Plan
- Ensure to closely monitor the annual country plan and deliver quality results in line with the key performance objective and quality-oriented results
- Ensure harmonization and integration of the humanitarian response and development programmes
Line Management and Staff Capacity Building
- Management of the Programme Department and Sector Coordinators responsible for management of technical team, project implementation, field programme managers, monitoring & evaluation, and grants and communications
- Support the development of in-country expertise in each sector and supporting a national staff capacity building agenda. Mentoring of staff will be a key element of the role.
- Strictly follow and ensure GOAL policies and procedures for programme management are known and are being implemented
- Deputising the Country Director when needed
Proposal Writing & Reporting
- Lead on proposal development, coordination and management of the entire process and ensure high quality submission on time. Management of the proposal process will include proposal writing, editing, as well as co-ordination between various departments within GOAL Ethiopia, between GOAL Ethiopia and GOAL’s HQ, and other stakeholders, including implementing partners, Donors, and community and/or Government representatives.
- Ensure to developing and sharing a proposal development plans through engagement and involvement of key department to work on budget, logistics, procurement plans etc.
- Grant management including participating in project opening and closing meetings, Donor reporting and seeking of necessary approvals from Donors as result of changes in operating environment
- Programme update reporting to HQ and ad hoc reporting on programme updates as required
Financial Management, Procurement and Compliance
- Budget management, work in collaboration with the Finance Team and Field Programme Managers to ensure to ensure strong financial management of programme budgets
- Development of proposal budgets in collaboration with the Finance team, ensuring appropriate resources are built into the budget process,
- Compliance, work in collaboration with the Compliance Department and Internal Audit to ensure compliance with Donor, Government, and GOAL policies.
- Ensure timely submission and close follow up of procurement plans in collaboration with procurement team
Communications and Representation
- Represent GOAL with Government partners, regional and local authorities, Donors, local and international partners, sector clusters, humanitarian coordination fora, and sectoral clusters, at all levels of project implementation in collaboration with and as determined by the CD
- Actively participate in the Strategic Planning process and with the Senior Management Team to provide overall leadership and direction to the program
- Support in the development of policies aimed at improving quality and efficiency of the programme
- Support the communications and technical sector coordinators in the development of publicity materials, including project and programme brochures, case studies, capacity statements and press releases in collaboration with the CD
- Actively participate in Donor, HQ, Government, and media visits to field sites
- Be a key liaison and focal point for communications going to and from GOAL’s HQ in Dublin.
- Ensure logistics, procurement, HR and finance protocols are followed by all programmes team members, and collaborate closely with Internal Audit and Compliance staff to ensure the integration of compliance concerns into the work of the programme department
- Ensure appropriate HR planning, training, and resource allocation as required for the successful implementation of programme objectives, including appropriate support personnel at GOAL’s field sites
- Carry out other duties as requested by the Country Director
GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safe guarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other policy, rules and regulation of the organization.
- At least ten years of experience of which five years at a senior management level with demonstrable ability to lead a team of technical and support staff overseeing a large and complex programme
- At least two years’ overseas professional experience in development or humanitarian contexts – preferably in Africa
- Post-graduate degree in development, humanitarian, management or relevant discipline
- Leadership skills and strategic vision, with the ability to guide a large team in reaching GOAL Ethiopia’s strategic and programmatic objectives
- Excellent presentation, oral, and writing skills in English is an absolute essential.
- Strong communication, networking and relationship management skills are essential. The holder of this post must develop and nurture relationships across a wide spectrum of stakeholders (Government, Donors, INGOs and local NGOs, academic bodies, private sector entities and relevant local civil society etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to secure emergency and/or long-term development funding from international Donors, with strong proposal writing and reporting capacity
- Experience overseeing the implementation of emergency and/or development projects funded by key institutional Donors including OFDA, USAID, ECHO, EU, DFID and UN Agencies
- Demonstrable previous experience in programme planning, budgeting, implementation and review with robust management skills, and the ability to effectively and proactively manage a complex portfolio of projects and deliverables from various sectors and units within GOAL
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills
- Ability to quickly reprioritize activities and prioritize and management of your time based on the importance and urgency of tasks
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with an international country team.
- Motivated, enthusiastic with a positive can-do attitude. The ideal candidate will be an inspirational leader within his/her team.
- Good computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel. Ability to use online Donor grant management systems
- Sensitive to cross cutting issues and approaches such as gender, HIV/ADIS, child protection, accountability, resilience, inclusion and behavior change.
- Strong financial capacity
- Experience and knowledge of market system strengthening and a working knowledge of M4P methodologies will be a strong advantage
- Previous experience working with private sector organizations within a development /humanitarian context
- Strong technical knowledge in the following sectors: health, nutrition, WASH, food security, market system and economic development, cash-transfer programming
- Comprehensive understanding of resilience, behavior change and inclusion approaches.
- Ethiopia-specific experience in working in the development sector
Interested and qualified applicants need to submit ONLY once their non - returnable application ONLY with CV for one vacancy. The vacancy reference number along with the title & Duty station need to be written in the application letter and subject of the email. Please do not attach any other supporting document. Applicants can apply using the following option.
GOAL strongly encourages female candidates to apply!
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
Shortlisted candidates will need to submit other supporting documents upon request at later stage.
GOAL is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process.