|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 26, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
PCI seeks an Associate Technical Advisor (ATA) to lead the provision of technical assistance and oversee program quality for the WE program in the Africa region by providing strategic direction and support for program management and MERL (monitoring, evaluation, research and learning) to country offices. Women Empowered (WE) is PCI’s flagship village savings and loan (VSL) and women’s empowerment program and operates across all regions in which PCI works. The WE program promotes social and economic empowerment, financial inclusion, and increased livelihoods opportunities for women, and is a key strategy for advancing PCI’s global mission to empower people to enhance health, end hunger, overcome hardship and advance women and girls.
The WE ATA will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and serve as a critical member of the WE global team. This position will report to the Senior Program Manager, WE, working closely with PCI Ethiopia and other regional program teams, as well as PCI Headquarters associates on regional activities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Technical Assistance and Capacity Building
- In partnership with the PCI Ethiopia WE Specialist, support startup activities related to WE savings group activities under the new, five-year USAID-funded PARA project in Ethiopia, focused on rural and pastoralist communities
- Provide remote and in-person technical assistance on savings groups (VSL/SHG) and women’s economic empowerment to PCI programs in the region, contributing to the development and implementation of specific strategies and plans in the following technical areas:
- Savings groups program expansion
- Livelihoods strengthening
- Constructive male engagement for women’s economic empowerment
- Provide technical assistance to regional field teams including Botswana, Burundi, Ethiopia and Tanzania through regular check ins; delivery of trainings; review of project plans; and analysis of program data and reports
- Support planning and implementation of digital financial inclusion activities, in particular supporting the expansion of a savings group mobile app in Tanzania and testing the app for launch in Ethiopia
- Contribute to new business development and the expansion of WE programming in the region through partnership identification, networking, presenting at relevant conferences or meetings with stakeholders, proposal development, and other activities.
- Participate in regular programmatic calls with PCI Global WE team and other global technical staff.
- Supervise interns/fellows.
- In coordination with country team management, identify capacity strengthening needs and provide mentoring and training for WE technical staff.
Program Quality Management
- Support program teams and management in the development, use and documentation of project management plans and program work plans
- Facilitate the process of documenting lessons learned, challenges, and opportunities to improve WE training materials and field practice in the region.
- Continually improve the WE methodology, manuals and training materials based on best practices and lessons learned in the field.
- Lead the review of all WE reports and ensure the highest quality in regional country programs.
Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation
- Data use for decision making: Provide technical assistance to regional field staff to identify and optimize the use of WE program data, technical strategies and existing best practices, lessons learned and research across key sectors.
- Assist M&E teams in maintaining effective management information systems (MIS) for WE program activities.
- Support in the development, validation, field testing and implementation of PCI’s evaluation and impact measurement tools.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of assessments and studies to inform WE programmatic decision-making, project designs and institutional learning.
- In coordination with M&E leads, provide ongoing support to in-country WE-related M&E activities, including in the review of the WE M&E plans, studies, surveys, assessments, and evaluations.
- Work with program and M&E teams to carry out regular data quality assessments (DQA) of WE program data; develop strategies and refresher trainings to address deficiencies found during DQA.
- Produce and disseminate high quality WE case studies, success stories, best practices and lessons learned that are supported with an evidence-base, beneficiary testimonials, impact/comparative data and other relevant information.
Position Parameters/Special Responsibilities Required:
- Ability to travel within Ethiopia and internationally up to 20-30% per year
- Participate in PCI’s innovation efforts and in teams on innovation initiatives
- Advanced Degree in International Development, Finance, Development Economics, Public Health, or related field; or a Bachelor’s degree and commensurate relevant work experience at international or national levels.
- Four to six years relevant professional experience, with at least 2 years in a similar role.
- Experience providing direct project support and training to savings group programs
- The successful candidate will have direct experience in at least three of following areas: economic capacity building, digital financial inclusion, income-generation, business skills training and partnership building
- In-depth understanding of women’s empowerment
- Women candidates and Sub-Saharan African Nationals strongly encouraged to apply
- Written and spoken Fluency in English. Fluency in Swahili or Amharic a plus.
- Ability to work as an integral part of a team, taking guidance and input from supervisors and peers.
- Strong time-management skills and ability to work to deadlines.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and commitment to PCI’s core values.
- A passion for the mission and values of PCI