Base HR Manager
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Gender, Protection and Mental Health Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Action Against Hunger currently operates in 6 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, Tigray and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2021/2022 are BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, and others.
I. Summary of position
The Base HR Manager will provide technical guidance and leadership in the area of activity, and provide human resource management. The Base HR Manager will be responsible for Monitoring and analyzing HR indicators in his/her duty station and support to Program Managers in the assessment of their needs, making recommendations, and providing information updates to the FC and at the capital level while making available all HR information needed for the elaboration of projects, training, and monitoring Program Managers.
The Base HR Manager will represent Action Against Hunger Ethiopia Bahir Dar Office within the region and establish partnership on the HR aspects of partnership conventions including pension authorities, Insurance Companies and other INGO’s within the region, and ensuring that the undertakings of Action Against Hunger and its partners on HR matters are respected.
The Base HR Manager will manage to implement and apply the mission's Human Resources policy at the base level as well as implementing the mission's Human Resources procedures at the base level and monitoring their application.
Essential job duties Provide Human Resources management
- Supervising the HR Officer and assistant, in the management and monitoring of social benefits paid out at the unit (sickness benefits, etc.) in coordination with the finance department.
- Supervise/conduct the recruitment of staff in accordance with procedures laid down at the mission level.
- Insure to induct new employees of administrative issues and human resources; Participate in training new ACF staffs about ACF Procedures and history;
- Keep a staff list and list of end-of-contract dates for the base’s employees and submit to the Field Coordinator and HR Senior Human Resource Administrator;
- Contributing to the development of the training plan for local employees together with the Head of Human Resources Department and supervising its implementation
- Carrying out disciplinary proceedings and dealing with disputes at the base with the validation of the Head of Human Resources Department
- Receive employee grievances and handle disputes and procedural hearings to resolve conflicts.
- Work closely with the insurance companies
- Follow-up on new employment contracts, amendments, and renewals
- Based on the submitted POA and Progression plan, follow up on the progression of base employees.
Staff benefit and payroll management
- Assist the SHRO with the benefits reporting obligations.
- Manage a variety of employee benefit programs, including insurance, R&R, relocation, and other welfare benefits.
- Administration of Payroll
- Plan and host sessions to assist employees in obtaining information and understanding corporate perks and other incentive programs.
- Keep track of the payroll database and make sure it's up to date.
Recruitment and Selection
- Manage and organize all hiring processes from start to finish, including recruiting candidates, evaluating resumes, interviewing, reference checking, hiring, and onboarding all new employees.
- Check job specifications against the position classification guideline, and fill out the Job Opening Request form with all necessary information.
- Recommend job descriptions and parameters to hire managers.
- Collaborate with hiring managers on JD's.
- Developing a recruitment plan that will assist the company to attract and retain the best employees. Supervise and support base recruitments and weekly asses the period disbursed
- Identify the workforce need and fill the gap
- Conduct written tests and interviews
- Prepare different recruitment-related reports.
- Draft up-to-date employment contracts and offers of Employment
Manage the HR team in the base
- Day-to-day management of his/her team (guidance, follow-up, motivation)
- Evaluating the performance and developing the skills of his/her team members
- Providing technical support to the teams
Reporting and other
- Prepare a monthly report that needs to consolidate at the capital level on monthly basis.
- Ensure to transmit weekly recruitment status reports to the Field Coordinator and all program manager’s at the base level
- Participate and follow up open litigation on the basis of the direction of HR HOD and report accordingly.
- Perform any duties as assigned by the line manager
- Provide technical support to Base Human Resources Officer/Assistant and Field Coordinator/Program Manager
II. Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports the values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
III. Fiscal Responsibility
IV. Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
V. Working Conditions, Travel, and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required and in line with Labor Law.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
- Masters/Degree in Human resources or administration, or related field from a recognized university/college with 3-4/5-7 years’ experience respectively. Experience in NGO setting and working in the emergency program is advantageous
VII. Required Skills & Competencies
- Good Knowledge and experience in protection from abuse and exploitation, and sexual harassment and safeguarding mechanisms
- Experience in conducting training, orientation, and refresher sessions with diverse teams
- Understanding of labor laws and disciplinary procedures
- Problem-solving and decision-making aptitude
- Experience in providing technical assistance across a variety of departments
- Excellent spoken and technical writing ability in English, including report writing
- Local languages are positively considered
- Proven track record in working with teams, excellent interpersonal skills, positive and professional attitude, ability to lead and work well in a team setting and with multiple partners
- Proficient in MS Office; knowledge of HRMS is required