|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 24, 2020|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the African Union is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and employs 50 staff members. It comprises the Head of Delegation's office, Political, Press and Information Section, Cooperation Section, Finance, Contracts and Audit Section and Administration section. The establishment of the Delegation in January 2008 was an important political statement by the EU: the recognition that the African Union and its Commission has become a strategic partner in EU relations with Africa.
We offer a post of Budget/Accounting Assistant. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation within the Administration section. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Budget/Accounting Assistant – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
We offer a permanent contract in Function Group 2, in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment. Place of employment is Addis Ababa, Ethiopia at the Delegation of the European Union to the African Union premises. Normal working hours are 37.5 a week.
Starting basis gross salary is EUR 1,913.00 (paid in ETB). Final salary step will depend on number of years of relevant professional experience. Benefits, such as transportation allowance, additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions
Responsibilities and duties:
The Budget/Accounting Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Administration Section.
The duties of the candidate will include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Financial initiation and/or verification of payments, budgetary and legal commitments and subsequent disbursements of administrative expenditure of the Delegation.
- Prepare and update the Administrative financial workflow, including notes and financial internal instructions.
- Follow-up on the execution of payments such as rents, services and supplies, reimbursement to staff etc.
- Follow up on monthly income taxes and the VAT refund procedures.
- Preparing the monthly bank and cash reconciliation for ETB & EUR bank and cash accounts.
- Follow up with headquarters on the status of 'HB' suspended accounts and related reconciliation and matching.
- Prepare the monthly closure of accounts and process replenishment requests (including the petty cash replenishment).
- Prepare the interim and yearly financial reports.
- Deputize the Head of Administration in the role of Imprest account administrator.
- Assist in the preparation of the yearly administrative budget plan, in consultation with the administration team dealing with different portfolios.
- Involve in the procurement planning.
- Monitoring of budgetary consumption throughout the year, revision and introduction of budgetary amendments as required.
- Follow up on the recurrent ex-post control requests and other audits.
- Required to backup other team members during absences. This might require knowledge of additional administrative tools.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Certificate in Accounting or other relevant fields for the position.
- Minimum 5 years working experience relevant to the job description;
- Language competence in English and Amharic: Listening : C1 Reading: C1 Spoken interaction: C1Spoken production: C1 Writing: C1
- Proficient in ICT (knowledge of the whole Microsoft Office Package) required.
- Following qualifications will be considered as an asset:
- Relevant working experience with international organisations or diplomatic missions.
- Language competence in French: Listening : B1 Reading: B1 Spoken interaction: B1 Spoken production: B1 Writing: B1
- Personal initiative, flexibility, well organized and able to perform duties independently with speed and accuracy without needing constant supervision.
- Team player and able to adapt in a multi-cultural environment.
- High degree of integrity and able to deal with confidential information.
Application including a motivation letter, a detailed CV (using the attached EU template from the link EU CV template.doc) and preferably a copy of the last appraisal report and copies of academic certificates and testimonials should be submitted to the EU Delegation by e-mail: DELEGATION-AFRICAN-UNION-VACANCIES@eeas.europa.eu
Please indicate the vacancy reference in the Subject of the e-mail: Vacancy 2020 – LA2 Budget/Accounting Assistant.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-AFRICAN-UNION-VACANCIES@eeas.europa.eu
The deadline for applications is: 15th of May 2020
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include a written test and an interview – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The European Union is an equal opportunity employer and the Delegation is a smoke free environment.
The Delegation reserves the right to establish a reserve list of suitable candidates for future posts.
EU CV template can be downloaded at the following link: