|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 31, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Ensure timely preparation of budgets for new project proposals, budget revisions, financial donor reporting and preparation of Ethiopia statutory report and audit process
1 Master Budget Focal Point
- Development of a country master budget for SMT informed decision making which is to be updated quarterly, based on DRC Policy Briefs in line with DRC Dynamics implementation.
- Serve as the country focal point for DRC Dynamics Budget Management and Master Budgeting, including providing support and troubleshooting on any issues raised and providing training to other staff on DRC Dynamics Budgeting and Master Budget management.
- Provide cost allocation based on gaps and ensure all actual gaps for each area are considered and taken into account when budgeting for each proposal.
- Timely budget preparation and ensure a timely and well coordinated budget preparation with all the program sectors and field offices.
- Manage the ETH / DJI internal budgeting tool with fixed lines to ensure all relevant costs are accounted for therefore minimizing risk for missed costs.
- Ensure flagged amendments are concluded (including NCEs)
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of budgets for new project proposals
- Ensure that new budgets follow internal DRC guidelines, external donor guidelines and respect the 70-30 rule.
- Work closely with the Finance Manager and Head of Support Services to ensure inclusion of relevant support costs in new budgets and cost recovery of funding gaps as reported in the country master budget
- Suggest corrective action to be taken by SMT to fill the gaps.
3 Budget Follow-up
- Ensure Budget Follow Ups (BFUs) are setup in DRC Dynamics as soon as grants are signed and serve as the main focal point for setting up the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for each budget in Dynamics according to donor guidelines and budget templates.
- Coordinate the budget follow-up and forecasting tool (developed for ETH/DJI in 2017) that will show financial progress against the program achievements. Follow up with each Area Manager and Budget Holder on spending and eligibility of costs incurred/posted to ensure a 100% utilization on grants.
- Enforce regular monthly BFU review process where the Country Office reviews feedback from the field level BFU reviews, in collaboration with the Grants Coordinator, Head of Program, and Head of Support.
4 Donor Reporting and Compliance
- Timely reporting - ensured reports are submitted to the donor on time and better quality
- Donor compliance - ensure donor rules and regulations have been communicated and complied with (flexibility, …)
- Co-funding - introduced a co-funding template to help iden…
- Ensure all close out documents are in place (fraud declaration, asset register..)
- Review on a monthly basis the Rolling Action Plan for financial reports due to donors in the coming month.
- Balance out the BFU report and prepare the financial report in the Donor format for submission to RO and HQ
- Support Finance Manager on preparation of Ethiopia statutory report and coordinate the audit process.
- Update the Annual Performance Indicators for Finance on a monthly basis and submit to Finance Manager and HoSS for review/feedback.
- Follow up and ensure that partners are reporting on time. Review partner submitted reports and do expenditure verification.
5 Financial Management
- Setup and organize project BFUs in a way that enables Area Managers and budget holders to ensure effective budget monitoring and control
- In cooperation with the Finance Manager, proposing and drafting necessary adjustment or rebooking of entries on and ongoing basis
- Provide the systematic financial analysis to each HoP &AM on the BFUs on the utilization of the budgets as planned
6 Installment follow-up
- Track installments and ensure requests are submitted to donor and proper/timely follow up is in place.
- Flag any issues with installments to HoSS and HoP for follow up.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 7 years proven progressive experience in finance related positions
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working for INGOs
- Proven experience in working with financial management of projects funded by humanitarian donors
- Solid knowledge and understanding of financial compliance and procedures
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work under pressure
- Excellent skills in the use of computers (MS Word, Excel, Power Point);
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written English.
- Knowledge of Amharic an added advantage
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values