|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 22, 2020|
|Category|| Administration |
Human Resource / HR
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. On any given day, WFP has 5,000 trucks, 20 ships and 92 planes on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those in most need. Every year, we distribute more than 15 billion rations at an estimated average cost per ration of US$ 0.31. These numbers lie at the roots of WFP’s unparalleled reputation as an emergency responder, one that gets the job done quickly at scale in the most difficult environments. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the government and other humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
Job holder provides administrative support functions in the Human Resources unit and support the international staff management and reports to the Senior Human Resources Associate. In cases where these position support a specific business stream, the reporting line may be to the relevant Head of Unit or the designate.
Job holder is a Business Support Assistant (HR) based in the Country Office, Addis Ababa. Under the direct supervision of the Senior Human Resources Associate and the overall supervisoion of the Head of Human Resources, the Business Support Assistant (HR) will perform the following duties:
- Provide assistance on general HR queries and follow up actions, to ensure consistent and high quality HR services are delivered to international staff;
- Liaise with HQ on HR related matters, i.e. payroll, contracts, etc. and provide necessary information in order to enable timely delivery of HR services;
- Provide administrative support in various HR activities in the areas of work allocated by the professional officer including on boarding of new staff members in compliance with relevant processes and procedures;
- Maintain confidential personnel records, HR databases and archives, to ensure data and files are accurately stored and updated in compliance with the established standards;
- Draft various HR documentation required for the specific area of work (e.g. employment contracts, transfer letters, certificate of sevice, training-related documents, etc.) ensuring accuracy and meeting established deadlines;
- Use HR management systems for entering and updating a variety of HR data including assistance in monitoring various deadlines (e.g. contract expiration, absences, performance management etc.), ensuring compliance with the established deadlines and accuracy of HR data;
- Focal person for Rest & Recuperation payments and allowance payments, payments to be within the stipulated Service Level Agreement;
- Support staff deployment and related administrative actions including preparation of basic reports, to facilitate efficient HR service enabling WFP to respond quickly to a crisis;
- Collect and disseminate staffing statistics for International staff when requested;
- Provide support in recruitment and management of international Consultants and Short term Professionals (e.g. review documents, post vacancy announcements on WFP jobsite, screening, participation in interview;
- Monitor contract expiration date and funding for International staff and Consultants in the region.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor;
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional areas, business administration/business management or similar field.
Experience: Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
• Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
• Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
• Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
• Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply on-line through WFP recruitment website.
This VA is open ONLY to Ethiopian Nationals.
Public access: Public-123689
WFP staff access: WFP-123689
Please note that WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.