|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 21, 2021|
|Category|| Consultancy |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
CEHRO is a local CSO which was registered on the 16th of March 2018 (re-registered as per 1113/2019 with registration number 3932). CEHRO as a consortium is an umbrella that reaches CSOs to engage, participate in the productive development and realization of democracy and human rights developing in the country. CEHRO is a consortium of 17 CSOs with full membership and 3 with associate membership.
From its establishment, CEHRO has been determined and working for the advancement of human rights protection in Ethiopia by creating a common platform for human rights CSOs to articulate their voices and launch well-articulated and evidence-based advocacy. CEHRO works to expand the space for human rights CSOs and continue engagement with stakeholders’ building the capacity of existing and emerging human rights organizations to ensure effective human rights and democratic governance works. In this respect, CHERO recognizes building the capacity of trial monitoring, documenting and reporting court cases and popularizing the judicial reforms to citizens play vital role to ensure public trust in the reform and maintain judicial integrity in Ethiopia.
CEHRO in collaboration with Feteh (Justice) Activity- USAID is planning to develop a manual on court reporting with the aim of improving access to information to citizens, media and CSO. To this end, CEHRO invites competent consultant/s to contribute to this manual development based on the terms stated in this call.
The objective of this standardized manual is to promote Court Reporting for the respect, protection, fulfilling and promotion of human rights. More specifically this manual aims to:
- Enable CSOs to use Court Reports as an effective advocacy tool in their advocacy;
- Strength transparency and accountability of the judiciary;
- To assist the watchdog functions of CSOs and Media;
- Ensure accused rights to a fair and public hearing;
- Public’s right to have access to information; and
- Identifying areas in need of reform
Scope of the work
The scope of this call is to develop user friendly Court Reporting Manual in Amharic language. The manual should cover but not limited to the following topics:
- Core values, principles and ethics of court reporting;
- Basic human rights of the defendants in the court proceedings ;
- Key contents of Court reporting: trial reporting beyond ‘he/she said”;
- Privacy/honor consideration Limitations and advantages of court reporting;
- Provide practical guidance to CSOs and media on how to conduct Court Reporting.
- Provide extensive examples of model Court Reporting’s drawing from best practices of local and international media houses ;
- Prepare PowerPoint and provide trainings on the manual for media (and CSO and government PIO) representatives as per CEHRO’s schedule.
- Include any relevant content provided by CEHRO and its partner on the manual.
The consultant is expected to complete this assignment within one months starting from June to July 2021. The exact starting date will be the signing of the agreement. The consultant is expected to deliver overall court reporting manual both in hard copy and soft copy.
- Developing court reporting manual requires a high level technical/professional expertise and proven experiences. The Individual Consultant interested in this work is required to have the following qualifications.
- Master degree in Human Rights, Journalism and Communication or other relevant fields
- A minimum 5 years of experience in developing court reporting or related manual.
- Solid experience and extensive knowledge of trial proceedings, , and good knowledge of trial reporting and CSO working environment.
- Relevant experience in court preparing human rights related or other guiding manuals
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of legal, socio-economic, political and cultural context of the CSOs, Media and the Judiciary operating in Ethiopia.
- Excellent written and spoken skills in Amharic and English. Other local language skills are advantageous.
- Proven experience of providing training and excellent communication skills.
- Relevant experience on editing and evaluating manual relating to this call topic is a plus.
* Qualified Female and People with disability applicants are encouraged to respond to this advertisement.
Interested and qualified applicants should send the following document to email: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 24, 2021
- Financial proposal
- Technical proposal (outlining the content, methodology and timeline to conduct the assignment)
- TIN certificate