|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 25, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Centre for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa is an Africa center of excellence for education and research at Addis Ababa University established to lead a high-quality regional capacity building for the discovery and development of therapeutics (drugs, vaccines, diagnostics and complex interventions) and bring about fair and sustainable development in Africa. CDT-Africa is in the process of establishing an African Biomedical Incubation Hub and laboratories to support African scientists to develop expertise in drug, vaccine, and diagnostic developments.
This is an international individual Consultant recruitment for a candidate or candidates with proven scientific and industrial profiles in drug development. The position requires didactic skills and a documented, successful commitment to guide and mentor research scientists and postdoctoral fellows and to shape drug development works of CDT-Africa.
1. Area of Assignment:
- Drug development
2. Deliverables & Responsibilities
- Lead and conduct key studies on the discovery, profiling, and preclinical evaluation of potential medicinal plants.
- Plan and conduct scientific experiments in the lab to create and refine target molecules
- Undertake data analysis to assess the results of experiments and the characteristics of the molecules produced
- Ensure the structure and purity of compounds are correct
- Use computational techniques to model the properties of new molecules including SAR, molecular modeling, and electronic database screening.
- Explore how it may be possible to ‘scale up’ production of useful compounds that are created
- Link with potential partners at university and industry to support a collaborative approach to medical discovery and development
- Advise and oversee the characterization and evaluation of therapeutic agents and new molecular targets.
- Advice on the design and layout of CDT-Africa’s existing and future laboratories.
- Supervise, guide, and teach CDT-Africa’s postdoctoral fellows, PhD students, and the scientific staff.
- Support the CDT-Africa scientists to contribute to science through the publication of new findings.
- Determine and support relevant external partnerships for patenting and business development of potential products.
- Attract new funding
3. Place of Assignment :
- CDT-Africa Regional Biomedical Incubation Hub (Africa Bio-Hub), CDT-Africa, Addis Ababa University
4. Contract duration :
- 2 years with the possibility of extension. The post is subject to a 6 months’ probation period
5. Eligible applicants:
- The position is open for international candidates.
- The Center will provide a competitive compensation package, including a mutually agreed base salary, and round-trip air ticket.
7. Citizenship and Visa regulations:
- CDT-Africa will facilitate work permits and visas.
- Employment is regulated by Ethiopian Government Laws and must comply with available guidelines.
- The attention of interested Individual Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- An Individual Consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Essential Educational Qualifications:
- PhD degree in Medicinal Chemistry or related scientific discipline. An academic rank of Associate Professor and above would be an advantage.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience with proven experience in both industrial and academic sectors.
- Excellent hands-on skills applicable to drug development work, including HPLC, LC-MS, and GC-MS.
- Proven experience establishing or leading a drug development research laboratory or industry.
- Proven experience in supervising and mentoring postdoctoral and Ph.D. students.
- Strong first-author publication records in areas of drug development.
- Highly motivated, creative, and able to adapt to different personalities and working dynamics.
How to Apply
Proposal Contents/ Application documents:
The Consultant must submit with its proposal motivation letter, current CV, including date of birth and country of citizenship, copies of degrees and proven detail experience which demonstrate how the consultant fit for this assignment.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 8.00 am to 12.00 am and 1.00- 5.00 pm during working days.
The proposal must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, by fax, or by e-mail). The deadline for submission of the Expression of Interest will be on 16 May 2022, at 2:00 pm (8:00 local time).
Addis Ababa University, College of Health Sciences, Black Lion Specialized Hospital Compound, CDT Africa, library building, ground Floor, CDT office, Room no 007F, Attn: Getahun Alemu, Procurement specialist, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Tel: +251-11-878-73-11 Mobile: +251 905060348, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, by copying email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org