|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 5, 2023|
Background and Objectives of the Consultancy
Ethiopian Midwives Association (EMwA) is a legally registered, autonomous, and not-for-profit professional association established in 1992. EMwA operates in all regions of Ethiopia. EMwA is a member of the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) since 1993. Currently EMwA has more than 8500 members and 250 volunteers. EMwA envisions Midwifery to be valued and autonomous profession where every family has access to equitable and high-quality Midwifery Services. EMwA striving for the autonomy and excellence of Midwifery care practice to provide quality care for women, Newborn, Children, Adolescent and youth through strengthening self-reliance and influencing for change. The goal of the association is to contribute for reduction in maternal and newborn Morbidity and Mortality in Ethiopia through Strengthen Midwifery led Continuum of Care.
The association has a five-year strategic plan and its strategic directions are: Enhance Membership Management, Serving the Community, Amplify Policy and Practice change through evidence generation, Strengthen Partnership, Networking and Representation, Enhance Regulation and Governance Self-reliance for better and Sustainable EMwA.
EMwA’s has vast experience in program implementation on Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Children, Adolescent, Youth Health, Humanitarian Intervention (Facility based, Mobile and community -based humanitarian service in all regions affected by the humanitarian crisis), Quality assurance and standard development (Catchment Based Mentorship, Capacity building, Quality audit including MPDSR, Strengthening the referral system), and also increasing access to high quality family planning service, CPD, accreditation, and Pre-Service Education, Covid-19 Prevention and Management, Digital health and Research.
Through the generous funding from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation EMwA is further trying to strengthen its capacity. EMwA is looking for qualified gender Analyst consultant who will makes a significant contribution to the effective management of EMwA's gender and human rights activities. S/he ensures progress toward gender equality and gender mainstreaming, and advocates for the adoption of a gender mainstreaming policy. S/he will specifically assist the association, its chapter offices, and midwives in various areas of strengthening institutional capacity to mainstream gender, as well as enhancing community capacity to protect women's and girls' rights in the areas of gender-based violence, gender sensitive and responsive integrated SRH and SDGs.
Scope of Work
Key activities and tasks
- The individual gender consultant will provide technical guidance for EMwA to achieve the following key activities and tasks.
- Conduct Gender Audit: Conduct Desk review and SLOT analysis of existing EMwA policies, guidelines and practices: Leadership to identify and understand gender barriers and opportunities across EMwA structure and membership system for improved access participation in leadership, membership, recruitment and other opportunities.
- Conduct a qualitative study: using human centered design approach to explore, understand, and analyze gender barriers and opportunities across EMwA Structure and systems.
- Conduct consultative workshop: using the evidence generated from the two findings and other relevant literatures and bench marks: The evidence generated from the workshop will be used as input to synthesize and formulate recommendations to develop gender responsive and integration guide.
- Conduct a stakeholder mapping including private sector players their roles in (take special care of the gender dimensions/responsiveness of private sector at the local level); in ensuring gender equity midwifery workforce
- Develop gender responsive and integration strategy: develop a gender responsive and integration guide which will provide guidance to the integration of gender across all the project cycles, viz. intervention design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Design EMwA gender intentional and transformative manual ( with annex: Safe guarding policy/zero tolerance policy, work balance manual)
Key Deliverables /outcomes: The gender consultant will provide technical guidance to enable EMwA achieve the following key deliverables. Therefore, the gender consultant will be accountable to these deliverables.
- A Gender Audit (analysis) report and gender action plan for the EMwA and its projects prepared
- Submit qualitative study gender barrier analysis report
- Gender responsive and integration strategy developed
- EMwA Gender Intentional and Transformative manual developed
Required number: One (1)
Timeline and duration:
- The timeline and duration of the Expert Gender Equality consultancy shall be from 4 months from commencement of the effort (with possible extension).
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Gender and Development, public health, Law, Social Work, or any other relevant social science field of study
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience with increasing professional experience and responsibilities at national level in program/project management;
- Familiarity and knowledge of the functioning of the gender policies of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and UN agencies will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of rights-centered approaches and gender mainstreaming in social development;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the gender and human rights related issues;
- Familiarity with international and regional conventions related to gender equality, women’s rights and gender- based violence
- Working experience in policy analysis, and advocacy for gender, women empowerment and human rights in the context of sustainable development; and working experience in communication and advocacy;
- Demonstrated experience in gender equality programme/project planning, design, follow up, monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience in translating theory into practice, with strong practical experience with and track record related to gender-based violence and the psychological, social, economic empowerment of women; experience developing performance-based curricula and protocols related to gender-based violence (i.e., sexual assault, intimate partner violence, child sexual abuse, disrespect/abuse in maternity and other health care)
- Computer skills: Proficiency in current office software applications.
- Fluency in written and verbal English is required.
Desired Criteria (An Asset)
- Being a member of EMwA is an asset
- Good knowledge and skill on Gender analysis tools