|Date Posted||January 20, 2020|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over seven decades in the world addressing both the immediate, life saving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
SUMMARY STATEMENT OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Capacity Building Officer is a junior management position under the supervision of the Senior Environmental Health Manager that involves coordination, management, direct implementation, monitoring & evaluation and reporting of the planned capacity building activities in EX128 grant under the Environmental Health program funded by EU Trust Fund.
The position is expected to coordinate with the SH Promotion Manager and guarantee a smooth and effective implementation of the project to the best quality and standard. She/He is responsible for execution of the capacity development activities in line with agreed timeline and budget enduring the attainment of the project objectives and outcomes. Furthermore, the position holder will provide technical support to the EH unit and to other sectors on capacity building related activities as assigned by the Senior EH Manager.
The Capacity Building Officer will assist the Senior EH Manager in maintaining effective project-related operational processes between EH and supporting departments, and demonstrates consistent representation and coordination with stakeholders. The position also requires strong grant management skills, including efficient finance and resource management. The position reports to the Senior Environmental Health Manager at Assosa Field Office.
The Capacity Building Officer will be engaged on the coordination, management and direct implementation of the capacity building component of the project and monitoring, evaluation and reporting of progress under the supervision of the Senior Environmental Health Manager.
COORDINATION & IMPLEMENTATION:
- Coordinate with Senior EH Manager and efficiently administer the capacity building components of the project, monitor lifecycle of the projects, prepare/use the project control mechanisms, provide updates as per requirements, and document and share overall all processes.
- Coordinate, oversee and facilitate the implementation of the activities outlined in the perspective plan pertaining to the capacity building component of the project.
- Conduct capacity building trainings in consultation with Senior EH Manager and SHP Manager in line with the project targets and EH program priorities.
- Prepare effective work schedule, facilitate the execution of the activities ensuring that they are implemented in accordance with plans and the organization and donor standard practices.
- Arrange & facilitate workshops and symposiums in line with the project plan ensuring the participation of all relevant stakeholders.
- Oversee all aspects of the processes throughout the capacity building activities and provide subject matter expertise as required.
- Perform regular check-up on implementation procedures to ensure compliance to the IRC’s & Donor regulations.
- Draft and/or evaluate training TORs before implementation and ensure on time initiations of procurement requests.
- Provide technical support to the management processes of the project, maintain and update all information, document change and maintain compliance to an efficient project schedule.
- Design/use the progress tracking system, collect and maintain data and provide feedback to Senior EH Manager and SHP Manager.
- Identify and resolve all technical issues related to capacity development throughout the project implementation.
- Develop/use training guidelines and procedures.
- Provide technical support in reviewing and designing curriculum for training manuals.
- Draft TOR for capacity building activities in advance and share with relevant Supervisors for review and approval.
- Ensure the timely preparation of detail activity implementation plans for project activities, compile and share to the Senior EH Manager.
- Amend and revise the training programs as necessary, in order to adapt to the changes that occur in the work environment.
- Arrange and coordinate training programs, workshops, symposiums and joint monitoring visits.
- Participate in assessments and target identification, preparation of concept notes, proposals and budgets for EH project formulation.
- Ensure effective and efficient utilization of the budget allocated for capacity building component of the grant within the grant period.
- Draft activity, procurement, spending plan and share to Senior EH Manager & SHP Manager, document after review and use as an implementation tracking mechanism.
- Initiation procurement requests (PRs) timely as per the procurement plan, in accordance with the budget available, follow up procurement request status and ensure supply of goods and materials.
- Follow up financial expenditures through weekly real-time budget monitoring system (BvA), procurement tracking, and ensure efficient budget utilization and provide periodic report to Senior EH Manager & SHP Manager.
- Conduct monthly BVA reviews and provide necessary recommendations to the Finance and Supply Chain units as needed.
- Work closely with the Finance Staff to ensure proper financial management of the grants.
- Provide technical assistance to the Supply Chain unit in procurement of supplies and goods in consultation with the SHP Manager.
- Draft monthly cash projection for the Grant and share with Senior EH Manager & SHP Manager for review.
- Identify and flag staffing needs to the SHP Manager, initiate Personal Requisitions in consultation with Senior EH Manager and assist with recruitment when demanded.
- Provide technical support to Supervisees, demonstrate on-job knowledge/skill transfer as demanded.
- Provide assistance in the management, mentoring and developing Supervisees as demanded.
- Identify knowledge gap and recommend for capacity development program for Supervisees.
- Provide continuous technical and managerial support for Supervisees.
- Support the Supervisees in setting performance targets in consultation with the Senior EH Manager/SHP manager.
- Facilitate dissemination and exchange of expertise in the concerned field.
MONITORING & EVALUATION
- Maintain the planned project activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to project goal, objectives, and indicators and in line with IRC’s and Donor requirements and beneficiary needs.
- Participate on the biannual project evaluation exercise, present project performance and defend the project progress.
- Ensure that all capacity building activities implemented meet the required standard, quality and practice.
- Produce detail activity implementation plan in consultation with the SHP manager, update periodically and ensure that the progress is in line with the plan.
- Facilitate and participate on IRC’s FO’s SMT, Donor, Government and beneficiary monitoring visits in coordination with the Senior EH Manager.
- Evaluate effectiveness of trainings delivered, reporting on results and provide recommendations.
- Help maintain a database of trainees and other resource personnel.
- Manage roster of trainers, trainees and system for nomination officers for other related training programs.
REPORTING, DOCUMENTATION & DATABASE MANAGEMENT
- Compile progress data and keep records of capacity building related activities in soft and hard copies.
- Draft report on project implementation progress on monthly/quarterly basis and submit to the Senior EH Manager for review as per the schedule; collect feedbacks, comments and recommendations and implement for improvement.
- Maintain the consistency and quality of the monthly and quarterly reports.
- Document events including workshops and symposiums and share with relevant Supervisors in consultation with the Senior EH Manager.
REPRESENTATION AND COORDINATION
- Participate on meetings where necessary and provide briefing in consultation with the Senior EH Manager.
- Liaise with stakeholders and represent the IRC in relation to the project/grant as advised.
- Participate on coordination meetings with stakeholders whenever delegated.
- Facilitate and participate on site visits to stakeholders in coordination with the Senior EH Manager.
- Support the EH Department in developing and delivering technical trainings.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor and/or Senior Managers.
- University degree in Social Studies or related fields;
- Relevant experience of minimum of 2 years for M. Sc. and 3 years for B.Sc. Degree holders of relevant experience in urban water supply system development and/or construction project management, preferably in a humanitarian setting;
- Proven experience in project cycle management, design and construction management of town water supply and sanitation infrastructures and contract administration;
- knowledge in water resource management, hydrogeology and drilling operation monitoring;
- Experience in coordinating large projects, managing multiple tasks and uphold attention to circumstances;
- report writing, documentation and database management;
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure and meet deadline;
- Experience in facilitating learning activities and interventions;
- Experience in supervisory role, staff management and interaction with stakeholders;
- Experience in resource management – supply, finance and human resource management;
- Competent in Microsoft Outlook, MS office and database management;
- Knowledge of running EPANET, Auto CAD, WATERCAD and related engineering software;
- Knowledge of standards and guidelines in WASH infrastructure design and implementation in urban setting;
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Experience working in an NGO environment and for a not-for-profit organization is a plus;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in the subject area of the project.
- Excellent facilitation skill.
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture.
- Capacity to work independently, and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently handle multiple, simultaneous, and complex tasks and projects.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skill.
- Strong verbal, written, communication and consultation skills.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Proven report writing skill
- Strong IT skills.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter through the below address or apply through.
P.O.BOX 249, IRC Assosa - Ethiopia
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
· Name of the position you have applied for and your location Preference
· Date of application
· Summary of your qualifications and experience
· Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
· Please include at least 2 references from current and former supervisors.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.