|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 13, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Contract |
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Vacancy Announcement for Case Management Officer
Objective of the Programme:
WHO Ethiopia supports Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH)/Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) efforts to strengthen the capacity to establish the minimum IHR core capacities. In this regard, the capacity of public health emergency management system of EPHI and Regional Health Bureaus (RHBs) will be built for early detection, confirmation and response to Public Health and Nutrition Emergencies and events of national or international concern. WHO is planning to recruitment and develop roster list of surge teams to be trained before deployment. The deployment will be demand based supporting the national or regional Rapid Response Teams (RRTs).
Description of Duties
Under the overall supervision of the WHO Representative and with the direct supervision of the Incident Manager/Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) team lead, the Case Management Officer will support the investigation and response to emergency health and nutrition and events of national or international concern with the national or regional RRTs.
The officer will specifically execute the following tasks:
- Provide leadership and guidance on case management priorities, preparedness and response in outbreak settings.
- Strengthen core capacities and provide guidance and technical support on case management as part of health system strengthening at national, regional, sub-regional and health facility levels.
- Strengthen support systems for emergency triage at healthcare facilities by training healthcare workers, hospital management and relevant staffs.
- Provide on-site technical support and mentorship to health workers in quality patient care and relevant infection prevention and control practices.
- Coordinate with other response actors and clinical partners on the ground to provide technical and clinical guidance on case management in out-break settings and post-outbreak recovery efforts.
- Support and strengthen appropriate referral mechanisms, systems, and provide guidance to ensure safety and care for transport of patients.
- Ensure adequate emergency medical supplies including relevant equipment, devices and drugs are in place.
- Initiate and/or support/strengthen scientific documentation of response efforts and activities in line with WHO global best practice.
- Produce regular and written feedback to FMOH/RHB and other response actors, and report to the WR.
- Perform any other incident-specific related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Essential: First degree in medicine (Medical Doctor) from an accredited/recognized institute; Post graduate training in any of the relevant clinical specialties.
Desirable: Master’s in Public Health.
Essential: at least five years’ experience in clinical case management at outpatient or in-patient on infectious disease departments;
Desirable: Experience working in disease outbreaks or health emergencies. Experience working with UN/WHO or other large international organizations would be an added advantage.
Excellent knowledge of English and fluency in the working language of the country
- Ability to work harmoniously as a member of emergency team, experience in the areas of emergency health and nutrition investigation/assessment and response
- Computer skills including statistical packages used for data management and analysis
- Producing results
- Communicating in a credible way
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Respecting and promoting individuals and cultural differences
- Team work
- Type of contract-Special Service Agreement.
- Duration – For six months initially with possibility of extension.
- Duty Station – Addis Ababa and various Regions in the country, as needed.
- No of vacant posts: Multiple/Roster
- Annual remuneration: NOC step 1 as per UN salary scale which will be USD 2,323.00/month payable in ETB at the prevailing UN exchange rate.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted. Please provide your cellphone number and valid e-mail address.
- Applicants within government employment and/or with outstanding obligations will not be considered unless a letter of release is produced.
- Long-listed candidates may be contacted to sit a written or presentation prior to final short-listing. Interviews will take place using a competency-based approach.
- Note that this is a national position, and only applications from nationals of ETHIOPIA will be accepted. Please REFRAIN from applying if you are not ETHIOPIAN NATIONAL.
Verification of Education
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually.