|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 4, 2023|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Youth Network for Sustainable Development (YNSD) in partnership with Mastercard Foundation implements Community Service Project in Addis Ababa, Sodo and Wolo. This Project envisions “equal opportunity for young people to learn and prosper, access to dignified and fulfilling work and contribute to their country’s overall development.” The Community Service as Pathway to Work (CSPW) initiative aims to contribute to this vision by engaging young people (18 to 34 years) in a structured program of community service, training and by providing linkages to a comprehensive local network of public, private, and civic sector agencies that provide work-related placements and resources. The project will make every opportunity available to engage differently-abled youth as well as internally displaced persons (IDPs) which are directly impacted by the conflict and other vulnerable groups in the community.
The chief of party is responsible to provide strategic direction for the project areas and subsequent leadership to the program team. S/he is responsible for ensuring that the design and subsequent implementation of the project is in accordance with the project mission, strategic objectives and program approaches and in line with best practices. The COP manages staff who are responsible for the technical and operational management of the specific project. As such, s/he ensures that the project is technically sound and implemented in compliance with donor and Government of Ethiopia requirements. This includes the timely and quality reporting against agreed plans.
- Adhere with the Master Card foundation Mission, CSOs, government stakeholders, private sector, and other local partners to coordinate activities and facilitate monitoring and reporting of program objectives and achievements.
- Manage and supervise the work of program personnel, subcontractors, and grantees, with a focus on core results, achievement of work plan and targets, and timely implementation.
- Ensure achievement of contract/agreement goals (meeting or exceeding expected project targets and deliverables on time and within budget) as per contract/agreement and client(s) approved Results Framework and Performance Monitoring Plan.
- Maintain an integrated vision and approach for the project in achieving the results as defined in the award, while maintaining overall excellence and accountability to beneficiaries and master card foundation
- Oversee a team of senior technical, financial and program management staff for the project and ensure strong communication and coordination with and between all team members, and with relevant staff in HQ and regional YNSD office and co implementing offices
- Liaise between Master card foundation/Ethiopia and all other counterparts, implementing partner and Government of Ethiopia officials involved with the program.
Location: Addis Ababa and frequent travel to the cluster city’s
Reports to: Executive director
Primary duties and responsibilities: the COP perform the following duties and responsibilities.
Employment Type: Full Time / Contact based
Education and Experience
- Master's degree in International Development, Sociology, project management, economics or other related social science fields a MA degree in similar social science fields is preferable.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible international development experience in managing and providing technical, strategic and program management oversight to major multi-year and multi-partner complex programs in Ethiopia,
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible supervisory experience, including direct supervision and performance evaluation of professional and support staff;
- Demonstrated organizational skills and strong track record in meeting deliverables and deadlines;
- Strong external liaison and negotiation experience fostering partnerships between Government and other stakeholders, including at county level, and building national and sub-national capacity; familiarity with government practice and protocol;
- Significant experience and a track record of successful leadership and management of teams based in multiple locations. Previous experience leading a team of highly skilled, multidisciplinary staff to leverage joint management support, and empowering team members to deliver high quality work. Experience managing teams in high-risk environments;
- Experience in managing budgets effectively with oversight on spending while providing regular oversight on issues related to risk and audit;
- Experience of risk management and mitigation in a program context;
- Demonstrable professional oral presentation and concise writing skills in English are required;
Years of experience:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in an NGO setting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong commitment to working with youths
- Leadership and influencing skills
- Strategic thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Strong financial and risk management skills
- Strong stakeholder engagement and relationship management skills
- Strong administration and organizational skills, good time management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including report writing
- Commitment to equal opportunities,
- Commitment to the programs and YNSDs’ principles and policy’s,
- Awareness and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Value volunteerism: understand the sense of volunteerism and exercise it, show willingness to execute tasks as assigned by supervisors
- Flexibility: demonstrate flexibility to accomplish tasks requiring a range of skills and abilities
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on members/beneficiaries Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of members and beneficiaries to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Commitment: shows dedication to the missions and visions of the organization