|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 5, 2022|
|Category|| Management |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development, and financial inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community. We work with government, non-government, private sector, and community stakeholders to promote transparency, foster accountability, and access the channels they need to make their voices heard, promote change, and realize their full potential.
Global Communities is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID Ethiopia/Climate Resilient WASH Project. This five-year $30-40M program will accelerate the expansion and sustainability of climate-resilient water services and the adoption of key hygiene and sanitation practices in targeted pastoralist areas in Somali, Oromia, SNNPR, and Afar. The Activity will work to fulfill this purpose through four complementary intermediate results: 1) Professionalize and expand climate-resilient water services; 2) Increase adoption of key hygiene behaviors, including MHH, and ending open defecation; 3) Improve gender power dynamics; and 4) Strengthen the enabling environment for climate-resilient water and sanitation services.
The COP will lead and oversee the overall implementation of the program, including technical strategy, financial and operational leadership, and human resources. We are looking for passionate, dedicated professionals to help us build the world we envision: one of expanded opportunity, where crises give way to resilience and all people thrive.
The COP is responsible for overall program implementation, strategic vision, and outcome achievement. The COP provides an integrated vision for the program and will manage a team of senior staff to ensure the quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all products and activities generated under the project. S/he will utilize the principles of adaptive management to maximize impact and facilitate innovation. Finally, the COP will be responsible for communications with USAID, Government of Ethiopia agencies, and other Development Partners, for publicly representing the project, and for liaising with government and other institutions/stakeholders on issues related to WASH, Climate Change Resilience and Water Resource Management.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Provide program leadership, direction, and supervision, including oversight of staff, consultants, and partners, monitoring and evaluation, and program implementation.
- Lead regular work plan, budget, and implementation reviews to facilitate the cost-effective and timely achievement of contract deliverables.
- Provide Technical Leadership and oversight.
- Ensure project activities maximize impact and are completed in compliance with Global Communities, USAID rules and regulations, local laws, and donor agreement requirements.
- Lead in adaptive management, achieving peak performance and facilitating innovation.
- Oversee the production and submission of timely activity and financial reports to USAID, effectively and accurately communicating project progress, achievements, challenges, and utilization of funds.
- Meet program targets, as well as fiscal integrity of the use of program funds.
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of systems for project operations.
- Act as primary point of contact with USAID, government counterparts, and other critical in-country stakeholders.
- Responsible for effective written reports and oral presentations on the program.
- Represent Global Communities and overall program interests as necessary and appropriate.
- Build and maintain strong working relations with key internal and external stakeholders, beneficiaries, prime and subcontractors, suppliers, and partners. Provide effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a discipline related to international development, water supply, sanitation, climate adaptation or water resources management with a minimum of 10 years of experience managing multi-sectoral projects with increasing responsibilities and duties; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to international development, water supply, sanitation, climate adaptation or water resources management with a minimum of 12 years of experience managing multi-sectoral projects with increasing responsibilities and duties.
- Five (5) years’ experience as Chief of Party, senior management position, or equivalent, leading implementation of large USAID donor programs particularly related to water security, water supply sanitation, and hygiene.
- Experience in international Water resource management, water supply and sanitation services – especially in rural areas.
- Experience in strengthening WASH sector systems and governance.
- A strong interest in private sector approaches to development; and experience successfully implementing market-based approaches.
- High level of interpersonal, technical, and analytical skills, including a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and collaborate with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts and other key stakeholders.
- Proven experience in a leadership position involving the administration of similarly sized, international donor-supported programs with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of relevant USAID policies and strategies, including USAID’s Global Water Strategy and its Water Technical Briefs, Gender Equality and Female Empowerment Policy; Youth in Development Policy; sustainable localization policy, and Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting Framework.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with government officials, civil society organizations, private sector actors, implementing partners, international donors, and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge/Experience with USAID rules and regulations required; experience managing USAID contracts preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of relevant local laws, regulations and policies is desired.
- Management/supervisory experience is required.
- Proven ability to communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams is desired.
- Evidence of effective communication skills, both oral and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the agreement is desired.
- Languages: Full Professional Proficiency in spoken and written English is required; Amharic is preferred.