|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 30, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Center for African Leadership Studies (CALS) transforms African medical, business, governmental, and nonprofit institutions and individuals with training, coaching, and organizational development that produces effective, values-based servant-leaders. The Center translates international evidence-based leadership development best practices into local cultural circumstances to meet specific needs with indigenous forward-looking solutions that respect tradition.
CALS has an initiative named xHub, which is a social business incubator and coworking space that supports innovative, affordable, and scalable solutions that solve existing social problems for positive value. We provide our resources and mentorship to aspiring entrepreneurs and startup companies to be able to play a significant role in shaping the entrepreneurial culture and ecosystem here in Ethiopia!
CALS has also a number of projects and startups under its wings and is an expanding business in different areas.
Summary of Scope of Work
The chief operating officer position provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. The position accomplishes this through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the objectives of the company. The COO reports only to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the CEO in setting and driving organizational vision, operational strategy, and hiring needs
- Oversee company operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures
- Oversee daily operations of the company (Marketing, Sales, HR, Operations, etc.)
- Write and submit reports to the CEO in all matters of importance
- Attend weekly / bi-monthly Staff Meetings, and networking/technology events
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to a service organization that mirrors the adopted mission and core values of the company.
- Responsible for driving the company to achieve and surpass sales, profitability, cash flow and business goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all processes internal and external.
- Provides timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
- Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Manage relationships with vendors and partners
- Motivate and lead a high-performance team
- Represent the firm with clients, investors, and business partners.
- Assist, as required, in raising additional capital when necessary to enable the Company to meet sales, growth, and market share objectives.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company.
- Control company costs
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Proven experience as Chief Operating Office or relevant role
- Understanding of business functions such as HR, Finance, Marketing, Sales, etc.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure and MS Office
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
- Excellent written, oral, and client-facing communication, interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Experience in IT/consulting business models is a plus
- Experience with growing Startups is a plus
- Experience leading in Startups is a plus
- Experience with fundraising is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Management, Business Administration or relevant field with 8+ years’ experience or
- Master’s degree in Management, Business Administration or relevant field with 5+ years’ experience
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit an application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one compiled PDF format.
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter.
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name in PDF format.
- Please attach any relevant certificates in a PDF format
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter.
- Applicants must use this firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to submit applications and make sure to state the job position title applying for in the subject line.
- Applications not fulfilling the requirements stated above will automatically be rejected.