|Date Posted||April 10, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
SUMMARY STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Child Protection Assistant is responsible for implementing community-based child protection program in Jigjiga with frequent travel to the IDP sites. He/she will be responsible for prevention and response activities of the child protection program that include working with the community, psychosocial support activities and case management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the child protection team in the assessment of the living conditions of children in the camp and participate in the development of appropriate response to the needs of children.
- Facilitate the involvement of children and the community (leaders and parents) in the Safe Healing and Learning Space (SHLS) and document the progress made.
- Support (the incentive workers) team leaders and social workers in the monitoring, verification and documentation of cases of children.
- Follow-up the preparation and implementation of case action plan and home visit conducted by the social workers.
- Carry out data entry into the Child Protection Information System (CP IMS) data base
- Assist the child protection officer in facilitating and organizing appropriate care arrangement, and suitable alternative care system with close supervision and attention to the individual needs of children.
- Through working with the child protection committees identify potential foster families for unaccompanied and separated children in collaboration with social workers and community leaders.
- Organize and facilitate positive parenting skills training (Family Make the Difference) weekly sessions.
- Assist the child rights clubs to demonstrate to the community and the concerning bodies about protection concerns that children are facing while living in the camp and promote the participation of children in all matters affecting their lives.
- Organize and lead psychosocial support activities at SHLS
- Work closely with the child protection officer in the celebration of international events days and other awareness raising sessions
- Participate and assist the child protection officer, UNHCR, other partners and the team leaders in conducting the Best Interest Assessment to ensure the needs of children are addressed.
- Assist and participate in the preparation of budget, work and spending plans, and PR tracking to monitor the proper utilization of the budget and timely implementation of activities.
- Adhere and fully abide by the child protection code of conduct.
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
The Child Protection Assistant will directly report to the Child Protection Officer and Child and Youth Protection and Development (CYPD) Manager based in Jigjiga with additional oversight from the technical team in Addis Ababa.
- University Degree in Sociology or psychology preferred or any other social science fields
- 3 years of working with children experience for diploma holders.
- 1 years of working with children experience with the first degree.
- Ability to speak the local language (Somali) is a compulsory.
- Computer literate, data entry (database management) skills
· Please send your CV, application letter and copies of credentials to the following address: IRC – Ethiopia, Jijiga field office PO Box 1070
· Please include 3 references
· Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
· Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Permanent Address and present address (if different form permanent) and telephone number
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.