|Location||Assosa, Benishangul Gumuz, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 3, 2021|
|Category|| Engineering |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Summary Statement of Work and Responsibilities
The Officer is a junior management position under his supervisor that involves direct implementation, management, monitoring & evaluation and reporting the rehabilitation and expansion of the Assosa town water supply system and upgrading and maintenance of the water supply pipe lines and water supply facilities in Assosa General Hospital, Assosa Health Centre, and Selga Alu Health Centre under EU Trust Fund project. The position is responsible for-implementing and leading the construction & rehabilitation of civil infrastructures and hydraulic systems and water quality management based on the project agreement.
The Spot is expected to organize with the Senior Environmental Health Officer and guarantee the smooth and effective implementation of the project to the best quality and standard. She/He is accountable for the execution of the activities agreed timeline and budget ensuring the attainment of project objectives and outcomes. Furthermore, the position holder will deliver technical support to the EH unit and to other sectors on construction related activities as assigned by the program manager.
The Engineer will assist the program manager in maintaining effective project-related operational processes between EH and supporting departments, and demonstrates consistent harmonization and illustration with partners. The position also requires strong grant leadership skills, including effective finance and resource management.
The Civil Engineer will be engaged on the harmonization, management and direct operation of the civil and hydraulic engineering related components of the operation and monitoring, evaluation and reporting of progress under the supervision of the Senior Environmental Health Manager.
Harmonization & implementations:
- Integrate with program Manager/senior Officer and organized the construction and rehabilitation processes of the project, supervise lifecycle of the projects, prepare/use the project control mechanisms, provide updates as per requirements, and document and share overall all processes.
- Prepare effective construction schedule, handle all activities, ensuring that they are scheduled and made based on the plans and specifications.
- Perform or supervise, surveying operations to establish reference points, grades, and elevations to guide construction activities.
- Be responsible for all aspects of the engineering processes throughout the activities and provide domain expertise as required.
- Perform regular check-up on procedure to ensure compliance to the IRC’s & Donor regulations and evaluate all designs and drawings before implementation.
- Draft physical layout for all activities and handle with Senior EH Manager/Officer to administer and maintain construction contracts and procurement requests and prepare an effective work schedule.
- Give management processes of the project, maintain and update all logs, and document all estimates and change orders for outsourced construction works, and perform quantity survey and maintain compliance to an effective project schedule.
- Maintain knowledge on all contract terms and legal requirements for all construction projects to avoid any delay in projects and provide support to all work groups and participate in various actively to ensure completion for all projects.
- Handle the production of or directly draft all the necessary designs and bills of quantities, specification, necessary drawings for the planned activities.
- Identify and solve all technical issues throughout the project implementation.
- Design/use the construction progress tracking system, collect and maintain construction data, review takeoff sheets according to the accomplished activities and provide feedback on payment request to respected officers.
- Participate in feasibility assessments and site surveys, preparation of concept notes, proposals and budgets for EH project formulation.
- Ensure effective and proper utilization of the budget allocated for infrastructure development and rehabilitation component of the grant within the grant period.
- Draft activity, procurement, spending plan and share program manager & officer document after review and use as implementation tracking mechanism.
- Initiation procurement requests (PRs) as per the procurement plan, in accordance with the budget available, follow-up procurement request status and ensure supply of materials, goods and equipment.
- Follow up financial expenditures through weekly bases by budget monitoring system (BvA), procurement tracking, and ensure budget utilization and provide periodic report to program manager or officer.
- Conduct monthly BVA reviews and provide recommendations to the Finance and Supply Chain units as needed.
- Work closely with the Finance Staff to ensure accurate financial management of the grants.
- Provide technical assistance to the Supply Chain unit in procurement of materials, equipment’s, tools, work, services and goods by communicating with EH Officer.
- Draft monthly cash projection for the Grant and share with Senior EH
- Manager/Officer for review.
- Provide technical support to Supervises, demonstrate on-job knowledge/skill transfer.
- Provide assistance in the management, following, checking and developing Supervisors when demanded.
- Identify and flag staffing needs to the Senior Environmental Health Officer, initiate Personal Requisitions in coordination with program manager and assist with recruitment when demanded.
- Identify knowledge gap and recommend for capacity development program for Supervisors.
- Provide continuous technical and managerial support for Supervisors.
- Support the Supervisors in setting performance targets in consultation with the
- Senior EH Manager/Officer.
- Facilitate dissemination and exchange of expertise in the concerned field.
Monitoring & evaluation
- Ensure the planned project activities are implemented in allocated time frame and professional manner, according to project goal, objectives, and indicators and as IRC’s and Donor requirements and beneficiary needs.
- Participate on the biannual project evaluation exercise, present project performance and defend the project progress.
- Ensure that all constructed/rehabilitated infrastructures meet the required design, specification and standard quality.
- Produce all activity implementation plan in consulting with the Senior EH Officer, update periodically and ensure that the progress is in line with the plan.
- Facilitate and participate on IRC’s FO’s SMT, Donor, Government and beneficiary monitoring visits in consultation with the Senior EH Manager.
- Reporting, documentation & database management
- Collect construction progress data and keep records on related activities in soft and hard copies.
- Draft report on project implementation progress on monthly/quarterly basis and submit to the program manager for review as per the schedule; collect feedbacks, comments and recommendations and implement for improvement.
- Maintain the consistency and quality of the monthly and quarterly reports.
Representation and coordination
- Participate on meetings where necessary and provide briefing in presenting with the
- Senior EH Manager.
- Liaise with partners and represent the IRC in relation to the project/grant as advised.
- Participate on coordination meetings with partners whenever delegated.
- Coordinate periodic site visits to partners in coordination with the Senior EH Manager.
- University degree in Civil/Hydraulics/Construction Management or related Engineering fields;
- Relevant experience of minimum of 2 years for M. Sc. and 3 years for B.Sc. Degree holders of relevant experience in urban water supply system development and/or construction project management, preferably in a humanitarian setting;
- proven experience in project cycle management, design and construction management of town water supply and sanitation infrastructures and contract administration;
- knowledge in water resource management, hydrogeology and drilling operation monitoring;
- Experience in coordinating large projects, managing multiple tasks and uphold attention to circumstances;
- report writing, documentation and database management;
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure and meet deadline;
- Experience in supervisory role, staff management and interaction with partners;
- Experience in resource management – supply, finance and human resource management;
- Competent in Microsoft Outlook, MS office and database management;
- Knowledge of running EPANET, Auto CAD, WATERCAD and related engineering software;
- Knowledge of standards and guidelines in WASH infrastructure design and implementation in urban setting;
- Proficiency in spoken and written English;
- Experience working in an NGO environment and for a not-for-profit organization is a plus;
- Capacity to work independently, and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently handle multiple, simultaneous, and complex tasks and projects.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skill.
- Leadership and decision-making skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture.
- Confirmed report writing skill.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Strong IT skills.
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the below IRC On-line recruitment website:
Please include 3 references from current and former employers.
Applications will not be returned. IRC discourages phone calls or personal visits.
Only applicants meeting the minimum qualification will be short listed and contacted.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number if possible also email address
- Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.
|Are any of your relatives employed by International Rescue committee (IRC)? If answer is “yes”, give the following information:|| YES NO|
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.