|Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
|August 18, 2021
Dan Church Aid (DCA) DCA is a Danish Humanitarian and Development organization working to assist and empower people affected by poverty and disasters to live a life in dignity. In Ethiopia, DCA’s area of works includes humanitarian response, food security, Resilience building of vulnerable community members, and Gender and capacity building of civil society organizations.
Currently, DCA Ethiopia Office is looking for a competent Climate and Energy Project Coordinator, The coordinator will contribute to the successful management and lead the implementation of DCA Ethiopia’s Climate and Energy projects.
Overall Job purpose:
Working under the overall responsibility of the Head of Programme, the Climate and Energy Project Coordinator will lead the implementation of all Climate/Energy interventions in the DCA Ethiopia. He/she is responsible for roll-out and implementation of project activities and facilitate quality impact-focus interventions. This includes provision of technical advice, capacity building of staff, as well as influencing policy and practice through research, analysis and advocacy and building resilience by linking to longer term programming. He/she will be responsible for the development, start-up, ongoing support, continuing development, and daily technical backstopping of Climate and Energy activities.
He/she will also work closely with all team members, donors, partners and stakeholders in ensuring project outputs are of the highest quality and that expected results are achieved in a timely and efficient manner.
The project coordinator shall ensure compliance to DCA and donor systems and guidelines, effective team management; ensuring that project staff are given clear direction, support supervision and remain productive and accountable.
- Be overall responsible for planning, implementation approaches, quality, and monitoring of Climate and Energy (C&E) Projects based on annual plan
- Be the focal person for any partner organizations implementing Climate and Energy projects
- Ensure effective and participatory project management
- Ensure documentation and visibility of the projects and its results
- Undertake field monitoring visits and submission of field visit reports for management decision-making and project quality improvement
- Closely monitor budget utilization of the C&E project and take appropriate action to avoid under- or over-expenditure in line with DCA’s and donor financial policies and procedures.
- Lead assessments to identify gaps and opportunities to for intervention.
- Supporting organization’s thought leadership in Climate Justice-advocacy Programming.
- Assist in Organization’s Workplan implementation of Internal capacity building on knowledge management, climate smart programming, environmental and social safeguarding.
- Advance the implementation of Organization’s climate justice strategy, through the development of research, policy, program development and program implementation elements.
- Support in the development and delivery of Organization’s programming on climate change programs (Humanitarian and Development).
- Guide and integrate climate justice into Organization’s work at all levels, including through mentoring staff and other capacity development activities.
- In a facilitating role, connect dots between different projects and programmes towards building synergy of climate related projects.
- Arrange, participate and follow up on the relevant meetings.
- Assisting in authoring research reports, brief notes, presentations, and other documents.
- Managing appointments and coordinating with external contributors and agencies in climate justice work.
- Identify and develop possible areas for partnership with private sector, and universities, research institutions, think tanks, civil society to promote low carbon climate resilient development.
- Take lead in the development of Climate and Energy indicators and relevant monitoring and evaluation instruments and provide real time technical support to project staff through direct regular field visits.
- Guide the team to ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and consistent with DCA's relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of DCA capacity and knowledge on Climate change and Green Energy through increased networking, documentation and sharing of project case studies highlighting key lessons learnt on best practice.
- Support DCA and partners staff on establishing partnerships with private sector and key stakeholders in the field
- Support capacity strengthening of partner organizations in the area of C&E
Reporting and Communication
- Ensure that reporting (internal and external) is completed in a timely and accurate manner (including quarterly reports covering systems and projects, donor reports, etc.)
- Support in preparing communication materials (e.g. photos, case studies etc.) for submission to the donor and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of other funding proposals to ensure availability of adequate financial resources for activities beyond
Representation and coordination
- Network and ensure relationship building with external stakeholders
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with DCA staff, national and local authorities, international and national organizations as well as with private sector companies in Ethiopia and in Denmark.
- Represent DCA in relevant forums at zonal, district level, clusters, coordination structures.
- Participate in partners platform meetings, partnership reviews, multi-stakeholder platforms and annual critical reflections and provide technical input in relation to business and value chain aspects.
- The C&E Coordinator may be given additional tasks relating to DCA work from time to time as requested by the Head of Programme.
Vacancy Number: DCA-Eth/VA-22/2021
Number Required: One
Type of Contract:One year with possibility of extension
Reporting to:DCA Head of Programmes
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Required knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in environmental science, Agriculture, Natural Resource Management or related field.
- 5 years of practical experience of managing Climate Change/Green or Renewable Energy projects
- Demonstrable experience in project cycle management
- Good track record in leading and coordinating international multi-stakeholder teams
- Extensive experience and knowledge of value chain development is a plus
- Practical experience in working with small and medium sized companies and private sector is a plus
Interested and qualified applicants should apply for the post via the below link
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status and religious, political or ethnic affiliation. Please do not mention your religious or ethnic affiliation in your application.