Climate Resilient WaSH Specialist
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 7, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The purpose of the position is to provide technical and specialist advisory role on Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) and facilitate actions under the theme. The post holder will ensure that Climate Resilient WASH programmes and projects implementation are in line with WaterAid’s requirements and are met according to all national and international standards and specifications. She/he will manage innovation and learning in Climate Resilient WASH Programmes and projects and advice on how these can be applied to continuously improve WAE WASH programmes work.
· Provide appropriate advice to ensure adherence with National, regional and Water Aid’s policies and recommended practices on Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH);
· Support and develop existing programmes within the WASH sector.
· Lead the development of annual detailed implementation plans for projects under her/his oversight and ensure that detailed project implementation plans, and procurement plans are updated and openly communicated in line with the project progress and results.
· Contribute for the development of the technical approach of WAE in Climate Resilient WASH and provide technical support in the programmes and projects to be implemented.
· Contribute to program/project design, implementation, learning, and monitoring and evaluation through active collaboration with all team members;
· Review and ensure all the technical reports prepared from the field meet internal and external requirements.
· In coordination with the Director of Technical Services and other team members, ensure that WAE’s climate resilient WASH interventions are aligned with international and national priorities;
· Ensure that Climate Resilient WASH programmes and projects activities are implemented in accordance with the Global and National standards;
· Collaborate with other departments to ensure that a common approach, synergy and sharing of information exists;
· In collaboration with the Director of Technical services, provide technical guidance to the delivery innovative and sustainable WASH services / management models
· Update the Line Manager on emerging technical requirements on Climate Resilient WASH through regular reporting;
· Develop technical standards for Climate Resilient WASH programming in development contexts adhering to global and national standards.
· Contribute to and provide inputs of annual work plan, required project reports, baseline data, tools and indicators for monitoring and evaluation, collection / sharing of lessons learned;
· Develop internal organizational Climate Resilient WASH related training and development of tools, guidelines, standards to improve program quality;
· Provide technical guidance and support to filed programmes on Climate Resilient WASH related issues, to ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, sustainability and environmental soundness in their implementation.
· Provide technical support in the delivery of climate resilient WASH programmes in WaterAid intervention Woredas.
· Manage project(s) and project’s human resources under his/her domain directly as appropriate and assigned by the organization.
· Arrange or facilitate training and capacity building needs whenever necessary;
Programme Development and Resource Mobilization
· Provide climate resilience WASH technical and strategic input into the development of the Country Strategy.
· Work closely with the Director of Technical Services, and other team members to ensure high quality programmes are met through the application of Quality Programmes Standards of WaterAid.
· Contribute to the development of operating business plan for programmes in collaboration with the other technical leads and departments.
· Contribute for the development of new proposals in close coordination with other teams to ensure high quality proposals that meet the requirements of the donors.
· Actively participate in preparation for grant bidding activities, such as capability statements, project summaries, partner profiles, etc.
· In collaboration with other team members, ensure that cross cutting issues like equity, inclusion and gender are mainstreamed into all programme activities.
· Develop concept notes on innovative climate resilient WASH interventions;
Advocacy and Influencing
· Provide technical and strategic input in the Water and Climate Campaign content development and media campaign;
· Advise and support networking Climate sector donors and stakeholders for Climate Financing;
· Support research and studies that are aimed at generating evidence for Climate advocacy;
· Contribute for increasing the quantity and quality of WASH Financing;
· Engage with big water and businesses to improve climate resilient WASH;
Accountability, Learning and Innovation
· Ensure high quality Climate Resilient WASH programming is implemented through projects and are innovative and inclusive;
· Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as Reviews, Programme evaluations, external and internal evaluations, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner.
· In close collaboration with People and Organizational Development team, participate in recruitment and selection processes to ensure skilled programme staff are recruited, retained, and provided with, mentoring and coaching for development.
· Best practices and lessons learned are documented, shared, and integrated into programming.
Learning and Development:
· Keep up to date with developments in the sector, including best practice examples in the regions and nationally, and ensure ongoing personal development and learning;
· Participate in the documentation and dissemination of lessons learned in the project/program. Extract Climate Resilient WASH learnings lesson from the programmes and projects.
· Prepare technical reports for dissemination to various stakeholders.
Networking and Coordination
· Maintain effective technical cooperation and coordination exist with local governments, UN agencies, other NGOs and government partners;
· Develop and maintain good relationships with national government ministries, Regional, Zonal and Woreda level government WASH sector offices, other NGOs and the development sector in general.
· Work closely with field staff capacity building of staff and knowledge sharing within the region.
Equity and Inclusion:
· Ensure that all Climate Resilient WASH interventions consider E&I principles and mainstreamed in the projects/programs to influence both national and sub-national WASH sector and other stakeholders to include E&I in their WASH interventions.
Safeguarding & Safety & Security:
· Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding, Child Protection and Gender policies and Code of Conduct (CoC)
· Adheres to any local security protocols that have been put in place when working in the office, travelling to the field or undertaking project / programme activities
· Immediately reports any health, safety and security incidents or near-misses that occur on WaterAid duty to their line manager, Security Focal Point or CD
· Behaves and acts in a manner that does not put colleagues or anyone that interacts with WaterAid in immediate danger or harm’s way.
· Perform any other duty as may be assigned by supervisor or designee from time to time
· Participate and contribute in committees and task forces e.g. Procurement Committee.
Education & Qualifications Required:
The position holder should have a master’s degree in Climate Change, Engineering, Hydrogeology, Environment, Development Studies or other related studies.
Minimum of 6 years‘ experience with a thorough understanding of WASH and Climate nexus in a complex, international development organization especially in development and resilience sectors. 3 years shall have been at Climate Change and WASH.
· Demonstrated track record in program advisory role.
· A strong understanding of project cycle management, WASH, Climate Change and Resilience is essential.
· The position holder must be results oriented and team a player.
· Knowledge of WaterAid working systems, policies and standards will be an advantage
· A member of a Professional Body is an advantage.
· Excellent in writing and speaking English and Amharic languages
Working Environment / Conditions:
· Work environment: Office-based with travel to the field
· Travel: 30% Domestic and occasional international travel is required.
· Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
· Ability to work to deadlines and under pressure
· Strong proven delegation, time management and prioritising skills
· Flexible, patient and adaptable to a changing environment.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and team building skills.
· Effective networking abilities
· Excellent people management capabilities
· Good public speaking ability in English and Amharic
Interested and qualified applicants are requested to apply online.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer regardless of sex, race, disability, age, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world, there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege, or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behavior, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers, and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.