Climate Security Advisor
WARNING: Do not to pay any money to get a job. Please report fraudulent jobs to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||May 9, 2022|
|Category|| Secretary |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
- Since 2013 NORCAP has worked in partnership with the African Union Commission (AUC) Peace and Security Department (PSD) to meet their growing demand for qualified and specialized civilian experts. NORCAP have supported Peace and Security initiatives specifically in the area of peace support operations, conflict prevention, and post-conflict reconstruction and development.
- Based on the AUC need of continued expertise support, NORCAP is expanding the support within and beyond PSD, to also include governance and development. NORCAP and the AUC work together in choosing deployments that will further the work of the AU towards Agenda 2063.
- NORCAP is the Norwegian Refugee Council’s expert deployment mechanism. NORCAP strengthens international and local partners’ capacity to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crisis by deploying highly qualified women and men from its world leading standby rosters.
- The deployed experts work with UN agencies, humanitarian organizations, development actors and national stakeholders to save lives, build resilient communities, ensure peaceful transitions from conflict and promote sustainable governance.
- NORDEM is NORCAPs programme on human rights democracy and peace. We support international organisations and operations that work in the field of human rights, democratisation and peace with qualified personnel. In addition, we offer advice, support the transfer of experience and contribute to research. Our expertise covers such fields as good governance, democratic institutions, independence of the judiciary, judicial and legal reform, human rights, election observation and election assistance.
- Therefore, we are looking for a Climate Security Advisor, the successful candidate must have as minimum a Master’s degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Political Economy or Social Science.
- The successful candidate must also have a minimum of 7 years of professional experience in Law, Political Science, International Relations or a relevant Social Science.
- This is an English-speaking role and to be eligible to apply, you must be fluent in English (written and verbal).
- The position is located in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia and has a duration of at least 1 year.
- To be able to apply, it is mandatory to have citizenship from member states of AU.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To monitor and report on wider global and regional trends and developments relevant to the effective positioning and efficient functioning of the UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) offer on Climate, Environment, Peace and Security, in support of the implementation of the UNDP Strategic Plan;
- To provide strategic policy advice analysis and guidance on Climate security to the PAPS ;
- To design policy initiatives for different contexts on key emerging policy agendas, in collaboration with other AUC Stakeholders including AUC Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture;
- To guide the quality assurance of policy services and foster policy innovation in the specific thematic area to enhance programme delivery;
- To develop guidance and provide oversight on mainstreaming climate security and environmental approaches into AU Peace Operations strategy and planning processes;
- To lead strategic analysis, think pieces, briefs and reporting on matters pertaining to AU’s policy and strategic priorities, work plans and working methods in collaboration with other AUC stackeholders;
- To coordinate the PAPS Climate and Security efforts through ensuring routine engagement of Member States on climate security issues;
- To develops PAPS work-plan on climate security including activities, engagements and products;
- To facilitate the development of policy documents on development solutions to addressing climate security risks in Africa;
- To establish consensus on AUC common position on Climate change, Peace and Security through the completion of a study on the topic (as requested by the AU PSC in May 2018), including transforming the study into a whole-Commission policy document to ensure a foundation for the AUC’s response to climate security threats;
- To support the development of a Climate Security risks methodology assessments as a basis for implementing Climate Security early warning and early response and financing;
- To support engagement of AU Member States, RECs/RMs, UN agencies, and AUC partners to effectively collaborate on issues of climate security, including joint analysis, response, and capacity building;
- To support resource mobilization for the AU’s engagement on climate security;
- To develop climate security-related products to inform AUC leadership on climate security risks facing the continent.
- To enhance reporting capacity for early warning systems and RECs early warning functions on climate security risks.
Qualifications and Experiences Required
- A Master’s degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Political Economy or Social Science;
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in Law, Political Science, International Relations or a relevant Social Science;
- Experience of Conflict Prevention Programmes at the regional, national and/or global levels required;
- Experience in Conflict and Political Analysis, and Strategy Development required;
- Knowledge and/or experience of working with AU programmes would be an added value.
- Must have excellent presentation and drafting skills;
- Must be familiar to reportings and briefings and meeting tight deadlines.
Skills and Competencies Required
- Ability to work within a small field office in difficult circumstances, take initiative and be a team player; Computer literacy including in word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software;
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work and persuade others to follow;
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to use methods and tools to monitor conflict triggers and determine impact of various dynamics in conflict-prone situations.
- Ability to engage with other parties and forge productive working relationships.
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge.
- Ability to manage complex relationships through pathways of knowledge exchange, capacity development, funding relationships and strategic engagement.