|Location||Primarily Hiwot Fana Hospital/Haramaya District Hospital, Oromia, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 7, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
We are seeking to appoint a full time Clinical Researcher to be based in Harar, Ethiopia. The role is to support development of clinical surveillance and medical research, particularly with respect to Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance (CHAMPS) and aligned research projects.
Haramaya University, Oromia, Ethiopia
Haramaya University is one of the oldest Universities in Ethiopia, with its first intake in 1954. It is about 17km from the city of Harar, 40km from Dire Dawa (where there is a regional airport), and 510km East of Addis Ababa. The College of Health and Medical Sciences is based on a campus in Harar town to facilitate training of students in nearby hospitals. This campus also hosts the office of the two Health and Demographic Surveillance Systems (HDSS).
Haramaya University has formed a research collaboration with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Current research projects are focused on maternal and child health. The Child Health and Mortality Prevention Surveillance network (CHAMPS, http://champshealth.org/) is a new global health surveillance network funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, aimed at understanding the causes of child death in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. The core of the project is to develop laboratory, epidemiological and clinical surveillance for detection of infectious diseases in children who have died (through minimally invasive tissue sampling) and those with life-threatening illnesses. The Maternal Infection Study, an aligned research project, is investigating the contribution of infection to stillbirth and early neonatal death.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The post-holder will work as part of the team under the guidance of the principal investigator/co-investigators to support the conduct of clinical surveillance and the smooth running of clinical research activities. The post holder will closely work with staff assigned by the LSHTM in the performance of the research and clinical practices. The post-holder will manage a team of research staff (physicians, nurses and fieldworkers) and will be overseeing of activities related to CHAMPS and other studies, ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory policies in the provision of medical care. The post has a particular focus on capacity building of hospital and research staff and the post-holder will be expected/have the opportunity to contribute to eg teaching and advancing clinical practice in the Hospital. There will be the possibility to work on aligned research projects/develop research interests within the scope of CHAMPS and related research projects.
The post holder will closely work with staff assigned by the LSHTM in smooth flow of activities related to the research activities both in the clinical and community setting. Some of the major activities include:
- Day to day oversight of study activities, including staff allocation, planning of activities, recruitment of eligible patients and sample collection.
- Supervision of research staff including physicians, nurses and fieldworkers in coordination with Clinical Research Fellow.
- Involvement in community liaison and sensitization in collaboration with the social science team.
- Present or represent the CHAMPS study at scientific meetings
- Lead new research projects within the scope of the CHAMPS project
- Participate in CHAMPS network events and teleconferences
- Develop a personal programme of research* within the scope of the CHAMPS project
- Assist in the supervision of epidemiology and public health students at Haramaya University
- Ensuring compliance with good clinical practice, research guidelines and regulations.
- Does clinical abstraction, enter/facilitate entry of clinical data to system, track quality of data both on a hard and soft copy
- Maintain study documentation including storage of records.
- Development of education material and training sessions to build capacity of research staff.
- Ensure integration of research results into clinical practice to improve quality of patient care eg by contributing to mortality & morbidity meetings, supporting development of clinical guidelines, specific training and audit.
- Involvement in study design, writing of study protocols and database creation.
- Participate in research meetings and presentations as required by the PIs.
- Attend other meetings / training / updates as required.
- Generate project specific reports.
- Any other duties assigned by the line manager or PIs.
- Contributing to eg teaching at masters courses/nurse degrees/other at HU
- MD + Paediatrics and Child Health
- Registration with the appropriate regulatory body to practice in Clinical Facilities
- Good communication skills
- Good computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Good management and organizational skills
- Teaching and Research Experience
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- At least 2 years of work experience in hospital
- Master of Public Health, Epidemiology or Reproductive Health
- Clinical research experience
- Publication in Scientific Journals
- Speaks good Amharic and Afan-Oromo
- Work experience in Maternal and Child health/ Child Health
Haramaya University Human Resource and Development Directorate office, Administration Building 1st Floor, Room No. 114 at Haramaya’
CHAMPS office at College of Health and Medical Sciences, Haramaya University SGS building, Harar.
Haramaya University Liaison Office at Addis Ababa, Arat Kilo. Former Germany Cultural Institute Building Office No.15.