|Date Posted||October 26, 2019|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
TechnoServe, Inc. is an international non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968. Its mission is to help entrepreneurial men and women in poor areas of the developing world to build businesses that create income, opportunity and economic growth for their families, communities, and countries. For more information, visit www.technoserve.org.
TechnoServe has assisted over 200,000 smallholder coffee households in East Africa to improve their incomes by increasing the quality of the coffee they produce, boosting their coffee production and linking them to premium markets. One key component of its program design is ensuring processor sustainability through verification auditing. TechnoServe’s Sustainability Standards address five pillars of sustainability: social responsibility and ethics, occupational health and safety, economic transparency, environmental responsibility, and production and farm management. The first four pillars address sustainability at the processor level (e.g., wet mill, dry mill); the fifth pillar addresses sustainability on the farms of producers within the supply chain
I. PRIMARY PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
Perform sustainability verification audits of selected mills and farm sites throughout Ethiopia (mainly in the South and Oromia region). In-country oversite will be provided by the Coffee Sustainability Program Manager. The Program Manager will also provide overall management (timesheet, travel approval, etc.) during the engagement period.
Expected level of effort (LOE) is dependent on a number of mills processing and the creation of the auditing plan. The current assumption is ~30 days of LOE from November through December 2019; exact days will be confirmed during the contracting phase.
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Perform audits at specified wet mills and farm audits with randomized farmers that deliver to the mill; there will be about 110 mill audits and roughly 330 farmer audits (exact number of mill and farmer audits to be confirmed once audit plan completed).
• Complete audits on a tablet; raise any issues with tablet usage (logic, glitches, errors) asap with the manager in order to trigger any necessary audit system corrections
• Ensure accuracy of results through detailed comments and proper review of audit answers; flag any major issues you see at the mill if the cause for concern (i.e. issues with talking to employees independently, viewing records, etc.)
• Ensure the mill and farm audit surveys are clean and free of error before submission of data to the system
• Ensure the tablet that will be issued is returned to the responsible person in good condition once the audit exercise is completed and all the data synced to the system
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field – business, agriculture, the sciences, economics, etc.
• At least three years’ professional experience: coffee processing or agronomy, agri-business, business administration, cooperative management, agriculture, training or extension;
• Previous TechnoServe Wet Mill Business Advisor or Certification Auditor preferred
• Strong planning skills and experience working to strict time-guidelines
• Willingness to spend significant time in rural areas
• Excellent English oral & written skills
• Knowledge of local language Afan Oromo is a requirement
• Computer and tablet literacy
VI. Application Instructions:
· Qualified and interested applicants should Click here to apply for this position and submit a cover letter and resume as a single document (either Word or PDF) by October 27, 2019. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be contacted. Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
TechnoServe is an equal opportunity employer. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
TechnoServe has the right to cancel this advertisement.