|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 26, 2021|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Job Title: Communication Advisor
Position Type: Full-Time
Duration: 1 year
Reports to: Project Manager
Posting Location: Addis Ababa
Application deadline: July 6, 2021
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management firm, headquartered in the United States, dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI has been implementing public health work in Ethiopia for over 25 years.
JSI is implementing the five-year Digital Health Activity project in Ethiopia, which is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The purpose of this Activity is to support the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) to improve the quality of health services and create a sustainable health care system through the use of data for decision making, as well as to provide similar services to other countries in Africa or to respond to a crisis in Ethiopia (as needed). As part of this Activity, JSI/DHA is also anticipating an Award of Government to Government (G-to-G) project which will be funded by USAID in supporting the Ethiopian Food & Drug Authority (EFDA)’s objectives. EFDA is the National Regulatory Body of Ethiopia that is responsible for ensuring the quality, safety and or efficacy of medicines, food, cosmetics and medical devices. To support EFDA’s objectives, USAID will contribute by providing resources to implement the Pharmaceutical Products Track & Traceability activities that aimed at ensuring patient safety and improving supply chain efficiency by ensuring the visibility of pharmaceutical products movement.
We are looking for a Communication Advisor who will be responsible for the familiarizing/sensitizing, development and dissemination of information related to the implementation of traceability system. He/she works closely with the Track & Trace (T&T) Project Manager, Business Analysts, Regulatory and Supply Chain Specialist and other staff under EFDA in order to understand business activities and facilitate the implementation of the project. The position requires critical thinking, engagement and creation of multi-dimensional channels to disseminate information and solving skills to complex communication related challenges. He/she is also responsible to ensure the availability of knowledge management system and project visibility for ensuring the smooth running of activities and compliance with government and JSI policies and regulations.
*This position is contingent upon the award of G-to-G fund.
Specific responsibilities of the Communication Advisor will include, but not limited to the following:
- Prepare T&T related publications to variety of specific audiences for awareness creation and knowledge building (brochures, posters, messages, flyers, newsletters etc) and disseminate to end users using different media channels.
- Develop communication and collaboration plan that helps to create visibility of the traceability project.
- Create platforms for communication and develop T&T related information contents to be disseminated using websites and social media.
- Disseminate regular project updates to interested stakeholders and media, including preparing success stories, progress update, and other communications materials.
- Develop and implement T&T project knowledge management strategy.
- Ensure internal knowledge management and the external outreach efforts of T&T project.
- Work with the EFDA Public Relation and Communication Directorate and project technical officers to organize and disseminate information.
- Document and disseminate experiences and lessons learned; and develop activities and appropriate information to decision-makers.
- Responsible for implementing JSI's Accountability Framework and Code of Conduct, and adhering to JSI's polices on fraud management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Applicants for this position should possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in communication or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of working experience in communications and/or knowledge management; advanced degree in public health is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal English; proficiency in Amharic.
- Proficiency in common computer packages (e.g. Publisher, Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc.) relevant to the work.
- Experience working with health and development programs in the area of communications and/or knowledge management.
- Knowledge of legal procedures concerning photo release, copyright, etc.
- Proven ability to develop, write and edit technical content for both print publications and the web.
- Experience in developing materials for a variety of specific audiences.
- Skills in web-based publishing, knowledge networks, and models for sharing information.
- Experience designing and implementing knowledge management and communications strategies, organizing, packaging, producing, and disseminating information.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communications skills.
JSI/WEI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D.
Interested and qualified applicants should follow the below instruction and apply through the online application form no later than July 6, 2021.
- Fill out the online application form using this form: Online Application Form. If you don’t fill the online application form, your application will not be considered.
- Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must include the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. If this is not included, your application will not be considered.
- Any application received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Application deadline: July 6, 2021.