|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 11, 2021|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement
The Ethiopian Medical Association (EMA) is one of the first professional associations in Ethiopia and was stablished on July 2, 1962 G.C with 100 founding members through a formal charter granted to it by the then Emperor Haile Selassie I. EMA is member of World Medical Association since 1994 G.C.
EMA’s head office is based in Addis Ababa and has a presence in five regions represented by its nine regional branch offices (Gonder, Mekelle, Bahir Dar, Dessie, Jimma, Adama, Harare, Hawassa and Arba Minch). EMA has been operational for over 59 years on promoting quality of medical service in Ethiopia and evidence-based medicine through publishing the Ethiopian Medical Journal (EMJ). The mission of the association is to: Ensure that the community gets quality health service and care; Promote the highest standards in medical education, science, art and practice and Ensure the rights and benefits of medical professionals (doctors) and act as their voice
Thus, the association would like to invite experienced and competent candidates for the following listed vacant posts:
Work Unit: Communication, Membership and Regional Offices Affairs
Reports To: Manager, Communication, Membership and Regional Offices Affair
Reporting to the Job Holder: Two
Position Grade: V
Under the supervision of Communication, Membership and Regional Offices Affairs Department Manager, the Communication and advocacy Officer is responsible for the overall communication, Advocacy and public relation activities of the Association. S/he is responsible for the production, documentation and dissemination communication materials, press statements, press releases, media briefings, banners, brochures, posters, newsletters, success stories, best practices, info-graphics, fact sheets, audio-visuals, social media strategies, tweet sheets, and other articles. S/he is also responsible to manage all advocacy works of the association.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, develops and implements all the Communication, advocacy and PR strategies of EMA.
- Coordinates the healthy diet policy implementation advocacy project in collaboration with the project team & partner organizations
- Leads and being responsible for the production, documentation and dissemination of media and communication materials, including press statements, press releases, media briefings, banners, brochures, posters, newsletters, success stories, best practices, info graphics, fact sheets, audio-visuals, web-based information, social media, tweets, and other articles of EMA.
- Seeks and secures media coverage and build effective relationships with local and international media as needed.
- Regularly updates all the media outlets of the associations
- Writes and edits web-based information materials in order to daily maintain and update online communication platforms (website and social media).
- Facilitates and manages dialogue with relevant government, international agencies and civil society organizations to identify policy implementation and knowledge gaps in medicine related issues.
- Liaising with and answering enquiries from media, individuals and other organizations, often via telephone and email in consultation with higher authorities of the Association.
- Coordinates the media coverage and publicize EMA’s events, launches and reports in coordination with concerned bodies.
- Closely works with other departments of the association in writing and editing in-house magazines, case studies, speeches, researches, articles and annual reports.
- Prepares and supervises the production of in-house and outsourced promotional materials, publicity brochures, handouts, direct mail leaflets, promotional videos, photographs, films and multimedia programs.
- Responsible to organize and promote all events and activities of the association
- Produces stories, photos and participates in documentary film and other materials production.
- Ensures proper documentations of success stories and achievements of all programs and ensures their usage for the advocacy purpose of the association
- Conducts media monitoring activities to gather important information from the media or other sources and updates the management of EMA, its members and staffs through the existing EMA’s media outlets (websites, face book, twitter and You Tube).
- In collaboration with the department manager, produces communication policy and strategy document for the Association and follows for its implementation.
- Works image building activities of the association
- Monitors the visibility and the branding of EMA in order to safeguard the reputation of the Association from misunderstanding, misconceptions and counter promotions.
- Actively participates in the arrangement of field visits of partnership/donors and other stakeholders and produces the necessary stories in the form of photos and other means.
- Produces and updates different communication materials (posters, brochures etc) of the association.
- Perform other duties assigned to him /her by the immediate supervisor.
Education and Qualification
- MA/BA in Communication, Journalism, PR any other related fields.
- 6/8yrs of related experience with extensive knowledge and experience in communication, advocacy and PR related works. In addition, experience in policy advocacy in the Ethiopian context and health sector industry is advantageous. Experience in international NGO environment is advantageous.
- Report /essay writing training
- Photography and Video capturing and editing
- Communication using web related media( like, face book, twitter, etc
Competencies/ Personal attributes
- Demonstrate commitment to the vision, mission, core values, aims and principles of EMA.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and foster trust and respect.
- Being self-motivated and highly organized, detail oriented
- Being flexible and able to work well under pressure.
- Having strong desire and skills to work with other as a team.
- Having good communication skill (both oral and written)
- Having good facilitation and coordination skills
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proven video recording and editing skill, including the ability to use different software for editing and
- Advocacy and lobbying skills
- Media monitoring, familiarity with media monitoring tools
- Efficient skill in setting up, adjust and operate equipment, such as cameras, sound mixers and recorders during production
- Knowledge of camera and lighting techniques, Photography and Video capturing,
- Knowledge of website and social media management, designing printed and online materials
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
Therefore, interested candidates who fulfill the above minimum requirement are invited to send your application quoting the vacancy position within 10 consecutive days from this vacancy announced with the following details:
- 1 page covering letter
- 3 pages updated CVs,
- 1 page summary of CV through email address: email@example.com to Admin. & Finance department of Ethiopian Medical Association.
NB:- in person application is not acceptable
Tel:+251 11 552 1776/ 11554 7982, Fax: +251115151005,