|Location||Jigjiga, Somali, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 24, 2020|
|Category|| IT / Information Technology |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Ethiopian Red Cross Society is a humanitarian organization working in partnership with the Ethiopian government as an auxiliary to the government since 8th July 1935, with partners the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Society (IFRC), ICRC and other National Societies. Its vision is to be a strong, self-reliant and the most efficient humanitarian organization in Ethiopia in reaching the most vulnerable. Our mission is to prevent and alleviate human suffering and to contribute to the wellbeing of mankind and prevalence of peace. It works on six core programs including Disaster preparedness response and disaster risk reduction (DPR /DRR), Resource Mobilization, Volunteers & Members management and Engagement, Image Building and Humanitarian Diplomacy, Capacity Building and Promotion of the Culture of Peace and Non-Violence. Following the recurrent drought, Increased chronic food insecurity and increased natural and manmade disasters ERCS is regularly trying to strengthen its capacity to address the above issues and increase its DRR information gatherings, disaster response capacity and early warning systems. Thus, ERCS is inviting applications from external qualified staffs that can fulfill the requirements of the post to fill the following vacancy that exist at Jigjiga, Somali Region of Ethiopia.
Job Grade: VIII
Terms of Employment:-Permanent (After 3 Months of probation period)
Work Unit: Office of Regional branch
Report to: Head, DRM Division
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the effective functioning of the DRM information center within agreed standard operating procedures and relevant policies.
- Manage the flow information to and from the center to enable timely decision making by the branch management during disasters and early warring information before disasters.
- With support from HQ Information communication Technology (ICT), ensure that radio and communication systems managed by the center are effectively maintained.
- Monitor adherence to agreed protocols regarding the use of VHF/I-EF radios and other communication systems for disaster reporting and management.
- Supervise volunteers working with the center, ensuring they have clear roles and work within the framework of agreed policies.
- Collect information and analysis to support the preparation of Branch contingency plans.
- Responsible for maintaining the standby team roster, ensuring contact details. availability and other key data is accurately maintained and available at all times
- Support the Duty Manager to activate response teams to respond to disasters.
- Maintain an up to date and effective database to support disaster risk management activities.
- Liaise with stakeholders and zonal branches to keep track of emerging and on-going events.
- Monitor agreed indicators, identify trends and share information through agreed channels regarding events and early warring information which may require action.
- Monitor, collate, analyze and share information through agreed channels about on-going Disasters with the Region,
- Ensure that protocols regarding the sharing of disaster information (internally and externally) Arc adhered to communication policy and procedure of the ERCS.
- Maintain a complete and updated inventory list of resources managed by the center.
- Ensure that all volunteer on-duty time is recorded and authorized.
- Ensure that filing maintained effectively
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities assigned by regional branch head.
- Minimum first degree in disaster risk management or Information & communication technology or related subject and 2 years professional experience in disaster risk management or ICT
Training and Skill
- Relevant training in disaster risk management
- Experience of preparing high quality reports
- Experience of GIS and other technologies which could be used in disaster risk management information
- Fluent in English, Somali and Amharic languages
- Ability to work closely, professionally, and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background