|Location||Shire, Tigray, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 6, 2021|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Communication Officer 1 (1 year fixed term contract), based in Shire.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to the implementation and running of specific projects under supervision
- With minimum supervision, implements relevant activities and developing tools for : operational communication, Community engagement, promoting international humanitarian law(IHL), building National Red cross society communication capacity, public and digital communication, information analysis/environment scanning, interaction with religious circles, youth, local authority.
- Conducts seminars, workshops, dissemination sessions etc. to various target groups under supervision
- Maintains contacts with various interlocutors mainly independently
- Follows up the mass media campaign on a regular basis and advises on issues related to publications and media presentations
- Proposes dissemination activities in accordance with objectives
- Contributes to written reporting
- Contributes to the development and production of dissemination tools
- Interprets and translates (oral and written) from and into the local language to support communication programs when required
- College or university degree in Communication, Journalism, law, Social Sciences, or any other related field;
- Minimum 3-4 years work experience in a similar function with good performance related to humanitarian activities and communication
- Excellent knowledge and skill of analyzing the social, political, cultural, religious and ethnic environment of the region and country;
- Excellent knowledge of the nature and causes of conflict and violence in the regions;
- Sound knowledge of IHL and related national and international legal instruments
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Strong team spirit and availability to frequently travel to the fields
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Sense of responsibility and confidentiality
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, Tigrigna and Amharic.
- Excellent Computer skills (MS Word, MS power point, MS Excel, knowledge of using social media platforms, etc.)
- Driving license 3rd grade is an asset
Electronic application can be made ONLY through the ethiojobs.net website. Alternatively, you can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents at reception of Shire based “Afrika” Hotel OR to the ICRC Sub Delegation in Mekele OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: August 13, 2021
Women applicants and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.