|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 30, 2020|
|Category|| Advertising |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Communication Officer, based in Addis Ababa.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to implementing relevant activities and developing tools for:, promoting international humanitarian law (IHL), public communication, and information analysis/environment scanning.
- Supports the Communication Manager/ Humanitarian Affairs Advisor in networking with relevant communication officers or public relations officers in organizations in the geographic area covered; and represents the ICRC to relevant external audiences, with the aim of enhancing ICRC acceptance and promoting IHL and other legal norms and relevant topics.
- Follows evolution related to the African Union and humanitarian developments in Africa, as well as other issues relevant to the ICRC's reputation/perception and capacity to operate in the AU context, contributing to their analysis.
- Interprets and translates from and into the local language to support communication programmes when required.
- Perfomrs technical and administrative work (e.g. filing, stock management, event organization).
- Create, edit, repurpose and deliver a wide variety of engaging content for ICRC public communication channels, targeting a range of key audiences including the general public
- Work closely with Public Communications team counterparts in other delegations and Geneva, to develop an integrated and coherent approach to communications and activities across online and traditional channels, using media opportunities to drive engagement and content’s impact
- Ensure the accurate, timely and effective delivery of contents, optimised for search and audience engagement, partnering with A/V producers, social media leads, web editors, and other relevant Communication officers both in Geneva HQ as well as in the Regional Communication Centres and delegations.
- Works in respect of ICRC visual identity across channels, ensuring continuity across platforms.
- Builds up and maintains a network of contacts and working relationships online platforms and media
- Contributes to prepare (both creation and adaptation) ICRC content, text, images, video, infographics for publication.
- Adapt stories/articles/op-eds, etc... for digital outlets,
- In the absence of Communication Manager, manages the delegation’s public communication.
1. SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES/MAIN TASKS
- Conduct Media reporting by collecting and sharing publicly available information for operational or strategic purposes. Monitor local and international media on a daily basis, the websites of the AU, the UN Think thanks, the ICRC and other relevant international organizations. Prepare weekly Media monitoring report to share with the team.
- Contribute to implementing relevant communication activities and developing tools for public communication.
- Produce articles for the delegation’s website and the ICRC’s intranet and delegation Tweeter account.
- Manage the relationship with the media.
- Compile the Field Production Book (a consumption and production planning and budgeting tool).
- Order publications and promotional materials needed in the delegation;
- Manage the production, compilation and editing of documentation of activities and events by the delegation.
- University degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as communications, political science, international relations or journalism.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Good knowledge of French with good writing skills an asset, as well as knowledge of the local language(s).
- Computer skills (proficiency in MS Office); familiarity with online and social media communication tools.
|PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED|
- 1–2 year’s work experience in a field relevant to public communication and/or prevention.
- Experience in an ICRC operation an asset.
- Basic IHL knowledge an asset.
- Sound knowledge of the political, social and media environment in the country/region covered.
Electronic application can be made ONLY through the ethiojobs.net website. Alternatively, you can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: May 10, 2020
Women applicants and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.