|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 30, 2020|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
4R NSP Project Background
The 4R-Nutrient Stewardship Project (4R-NSP), is a five-year initiative funded by Global Affair Canada (GAC) with contribution from the Co-operative Development Foundation of Canada (CDF Canada) and Fertilizer Canada (FC). The goal of the project is to improve socio-economic well-being and resilience of 40,000 (50 per cent women) smallholder farmers in Ethiopia, through improved agricultural productivity and sustainability. One key result area of the project is to increase integration of gender sensitive 4R principles in relevant standards and policies (globally and nationally). To support the project’s effort of integration of 4Rs into national policies and standards, the project (FC) is establishing a National Advisory Committee (NAC) constituting of individuals, (who have interest and influence on Agric policy such as representatives from the Ministry of Agriculture, Research institutions and Agro input dealers (fertilizer). Among other activities, the incumbent will closely work with NAC to facilitate the uptake and adoption of 4R principles.
Under the direct supervision of CDF Ethiopia Country Manager and technical back up and guidance from Fertilizer Canada’s 4R Solution Coordinator, the communication officer will assist in the development and direct implementation of 4R Solution in-country communication plans. The plans will focus on the promotion of the overall 4R Solution project, communicate project results, raise media and general public awareness of the project within the three project countries, and mobilize support of policy makers in increasing integration of 4Rs in national policies.
The communication officer will also work in close collaboration with the 4R Solution National Advisory Committee (NAC) and the Project Advisory Committee (PAC).
Key Activities and Roles
- Work with CDF Canada and Fertilizer Canada to develop a four-year communications in-country communications strategy for the 4R Solution project
- Execute the ongoing communication strategy and promotion of 4R Solution initiatives
- Coordinate meetings with all project partners, NAC, relevant government officials and institutions, NGOs, and other stakeholders
- Prepare advocacy materials for relevant government officials and institutions, NGO organizations, and other stakeholders
- Design, organize and participate in relevant local, regional and national outreach events and campaigns to showcase 4R Solution project
- Develop communication and outreach materials in English and local languages for different target audiences ranging from smallholder farmers to government officials
- Collect and distribute success stories about project activities from staff and partners in written and video forms as needed
- Prepare event/activity reports, analytical summative reports on the implementation performance of any ongoing advocacy and outreach campaigns
- Establish and maintain partnerships with project partners, relevant community organizations, project beneficiaries, government offices, media etc.
- Maintain photo, video and print archive
- Contribute to 4R Solution e- newsletter, website and social media
Type of Contract: Full time position for one year with possibilities for renewal.
Language Required: English, Amharic
Qualification and experience
- University degree desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and local languages
- Proficient in using MS Office Suite (Publisher, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience/knowledge of photography
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource
- Graphic design and/or video editing experience is a plus as well as knowledge of WordPress, MailChimp, social media
- Knowledge of budget management
- 2 to 5 years of experience in communications, public relations, event management and advocacy
- 2 to 5 years of experience in development projects considered a strong asset
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute high-impact advocacy campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to engage media and other stakeholders to position and effectively promote policy messages