|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 27, 2019|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Contract |
About Digital Green
Digital Green is an international non-government organization that empowers smallholder farmers to lift themselves out of poverty by harnessing the collective power of technology and grassroots-level partnerships. We join forces with governments, private agencies and, most importantly, rural communities themselves to co-create digital solutions that help smallholder farmers increase productivity and income. In Ethiopia, Digital Green is working in four regions (Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, SNNP) in introducing and scaling video-extension approach, in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture and Regional Bureaus of Agriculture and Natural Resource. For more information, please visit Digital Green’s website:www.digitalgreen.org.
Digital Green is seeking to recruit a qualified Communications Head for its core program - Digital Agricultural Advisory Services (DAAS)- in Ethiopia. DAAS (also known as FarmStack) will be implemented over the next five years in the four Regional States with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and DFID. Digital Green is entering an exciting phase of development as it expands to additional digital solutions, agricultural commodities and geographies. As part of this expansion, Digital Green is building a team of exceptional individuals with a passion for finding solutions to pressing development problems. This is an exciting opportunity to join Digital Green’s growing team in Ethiopia, supporting our ongoing and new programs.
Reporting to the Country Director, this role sets and implements Digital Green Ethiopia’s communication strategy that helps achieve its objectives through effective use of all media. The job holder is responsible to ensure that Digital Green activities and results are properly communicated with its external and internal stakeholders and partners, including government, funders, the research and academic community, and the public at large, with a view to building a vibrant corporate image that attracts partners, communities, donors, and future talent. The role partners closely with the Ethiopia Leadership Group and manages media relations and oversees development and implementation of creative and high quality media initiatives, website content, social media engagement and publications. The role also includes assisting the Digital Green Ethiopia (DGE) leadership with new business development and donor report writing.
- Engage DGE leadership to help set the short- and long-term communication strategy and tangible goals that are aligned to Digital Green’s organizational objectives.
- Lead implementation of the DGE’s communications strategy by ensuring there is a strong work-plan, resources, and budgets, while leveraging best practices and technologies.
- Identify and build relations with external communications and PR entities to present and create awareness of DGE’s work and therefore attract partners, communities, donors, and future talent.
- Lead the implementation of creative and high quality media campaigns and activities, including writing robust content on websites, impactful press releases, engaging articles, social media presence etc, both for internal and external audiences using strong rationale and tailored messages.
- Be responsible for seeking new funding opportunities, writing grant proposals and donor report writing.
- Build and regularly update a strong database of latest materials (like testimonials, success stories, case studies, impact study reports, etc.) that can be used for internal/external communications and grant proposal development.
- Work closely with the Global Communications Group and the Global Business Development Director.
Digital Green is a great place to work and prides itself on a competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Digital Green is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to religion, sex, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by law
Qualifications and Experiences
- Masters Degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or related discipline.
- Minimum 8-10 years of work experience in communications and /or marketing.
- Minimum of 5 years of writing and editing experience and designing communication campaigns.
- Proven history of aligning messages across several key constituencies - like external partners, internal groups, government entities, and donor agencies.
- Proven history of working with media agencies and other channels for communication.
- Some experience in the non-profit/NGO sector will be preferred.
- Some experience in writing grant proposals and reports.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Team player and has requisite social skills to build cordial relationships with internal / external stakeholders
- Strong work ethic and self-driven: displays the ability to take timely actions and effectively accomplish work results with limited supervision and guidance
- Willingness to take on challenging tasks/ assignments beyond immediate responsibility
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Be an innovative and creative thinker –not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so.
- Maximizes the impact of communication by seeking perspectives from others, understanding their priorities and effectively customizing all aspects of communication to suit the intended audience.
- Demonstrates the ability to build and maintain relationships with ease with a diverse set of people/ stakeholders
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through the following link
Only short-listed candidates will be connected.