|Location||Becho Woreda with frequent travel to Metu and woreda based kebeles, Oromia, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 10, 2021|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
JOB TITLE: Community Development Facilitator
REPORTS TO: Community Development Officer
REPORTING TO POSTHOLDER: None
LOCATION: Becho Woreda with frequent travel to Metu and woreda based kebeles
DURATION & HOURS: Two years with probation period of 60 work days
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The CDF is responsible for the overall implementation of project activities at community level. Specifically, the CDF forms the link between the project field team and the communities and local government representatives and engage in community/institutional capacity building activities. The post holder provides overall technical, organisational support and play facilitation role in communities, including technology and best practices awareness creation and linkages. She/he supports people’s empowerment, collective action, social cohesion and inclusion as well as gender equity. Establishes demonstration sites, ensure cascading of ToT, and maintains close working relationship with communities and community organizations.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Work with the project team based at Mettu and government counterparts to achieve the project outputs/outcomes at his/her specific Woreda
- Support CDO in identifying training needs, prepare training materials, and deliver training, business plan development and other services to CBOs and unions
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly plans and reports and submit it to the supervisor
- Facilitate the provision of community training as per TOT plan
- Support PFMCs to meet criteria set for coffee certification.
- Ensure adequate consultation and participation of Woreda and village/community level stakeholders ensuring active participation of women
- With support of the CDO, provide expertise and advice for community institutions on gender mainstreaming in the project scheme
- Facilitate and encourages active participation and networking between individuals and communities in recognizing problems, identifying solutions, and implementing project activities related to the identified solutions.
- Facilitate credit service, promote Village Level Savings and Loans Associations (VSLAs) and dissemination of market info
- Facilitate community meetings, among others, discuss modalities within CBOs
- Facilitate periodical capacity assessment of CBOs by collecting data using the Organizational and Managerial Capacity Assessment Tool (OCAT)
- Ensure implementation of these capacity building plans (including, among others, technical support) in close collaboration with the team leader and Woreda Level Cooperative Promotion Office.
- Report project progress including any outstanding issues to seek timely solutions,
- Build capacities of the community and institutions.
- Build a functional working relationship with gov’t counterparts at Woreda & kebele level
- Act as an active member of the project team by identifying and exploring opportunities to improve project implementation and guarantee its sustainability
- Contribute to the implementation of Farm Africa’s strategy
- Participate in broader Farm Africa meetings with other project staff members, as requested by line manager
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
BSc in Agriculture, Rural Development, Natural Resources management, Rural Livelihoods and other related,
|Knowledge of forest coffee and value chain development|
|Good understanding and firm belief in gender equality and issues in rural communities|
|Three years’ work experience in rural development or similar organizations|
|Experience of coffee certification criteria and processes|
|Experience in the area of natural resources management, Small business group development, agro-forestry and good knowledge of gender and social inclusiveness and organizational capacity building of community-based institutions||Work experience in the Oromia region|
|Experience with grassroots NGOs and/or rural communities in Ethiopia||Experience in working with the OCAT|
|Demonstrable experience of participatory development approach PFMCs|
|Experience with participatory rural appraisal (PRA) tools|
Skills & abilities
Very good English language skills (written and spoken)
Computer literacy, record keeping and report writing
|Strong communication and interpersonal skills|
|Motor cycle driving license|
|Fluent in local languages of the region/Afan Oromo|
|Network and excellent relationship with government partners and other stakeholders|
|Ability to identify problems and solve complex issues|
|Willingness to reside in rural/marginal areas, ability to work with minimum supervision|
|Strong sense of integrity and personal commitment to the goals and values of Farm Africa|
|Good community level facilitation and coordination skills as well as planning and reporting|
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
EXPERT: Expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
GROUNDED: Our teams and partners work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
IMPACTFUL: We deliver long lasting change for farmers, their families, and the environments they live in.
BOLD: We model innovative approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
These who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 4 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Community Development Facilitator by 16 November 2021.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Farm Africa is an equal opportunity employer and promotes gender equity. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Farm Africa does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. (E.g. Application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).