|Location||Sekota, Amhara, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 22, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Opportunity: Construction Officer
The Construction Officer is responsible to Lead and Facilitate integrated/joint school and community WASH & Infrastructure facilities(schemes) resources and capacity assessment & implementation works including planning, targeting, feasibility study, implementation and monitoring of construction activities in collaboration with CHILD SFP and other SCI staffs.
S/He will be responsible to facilitate and ensuring timely delivery of CHILD SFP (Comprehensive Home-grown, Inclusive, Learning and Development School Feeding Project) related WASH & Infrastructure construction activities along with the standard operation procedures (SOP) of SCI. The post holder is responsible to implement those activities at the response words as well as liaising with local government, field office team, Zonal /Woreda level platforms where CHILD SFP project is operational.
The Construction officer is also responsible to map school infrastructure for School Feeding program (temporary, semi-permanent and permanent Kitchens) and upgrade and/or construct low cost school kitchens whereby the community take part in contribution of labour and locally available construction materials.
Generally, S/He will facilitate the CHILD SFP construction projects implementation in the field office where the project is intervening. In close coordination with the WASH & Infrastructure staffs will be responsible to provide technical input, conduct assessments, participate in the preparation of schemes design, BOQ, cost estimate, material breakdown and appraisal process & will conduct periodic supervision and organize review meetings, as well as capacity building to partners to ensure the CHILD SFP WASH interventions to be of high quality and achieves the programme objectives.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Lead and Facilitate integrated/joint school and community WASH resource and capacity assessment & implementation works including planning, targeting, feasibility study, implementation and monitoring of the activities in collaboration with CHILD SFP and other SCI staffs.
· Actively participate on WaSH & project related schemes designing, BOQ development and appraisal process.
· Map school infrastructure (temporary, semi-permanent and permanent Kitchens) and upgrade and/or construct low cost school kitchens whereby the community take part in contribution of labor and locally available construction materials.
· Makes regular follow-up and monitoring of projects to ensure proper and efficient implementation of WASH & SF related infrastructure construction.
· Strongly engage with sector offices and local administration on the course of rolling out planned WaSH & School feeding related construction activities.
· Participate and provide technical support to conduct training for water committee, caretakers, and operators, H&S promotion where appropriate.
· Initiate construction procurement process like tender/BID document preparation, supplier vetting, invitation to tender, eligibility screening, competent bid analysis, negotiation and construction contract Award process!
· Proactively work with local partners for timely site handover and construction work commencement
· Implement save the children construction monitoring, risk assessment and construction quality benchmark tools and standards.
· Produce various construction monitoring and training reports.
· Facilitate timely preparation of take-off sheet and payment certificate with support of project and other staffs.
· Ensure constructed schemes are of gender segregated and disability friendly (water schemes, latrines, handwashing stations, kitchens etc.).
· Coordinate pre handover joint quality tests/quality assurance intervention with government stakeholders and SCI technical experts.
· Lead smooth hand over process for completed WaSH & School feeding related construction facilities.
· Provide inputs during the course of project development, budgeting, etc.
· Perform any other relevant duties assigned by supervisor.
· Identifies critical issues in the implementation of projects and takes the necessary actions to address problems and constraints.
· Facilitates and ensures the involvement of children in all projects work as primary stakeholders
· Provide weekly update, monthly and quarterly report to the SF manager & other concerned SCI staffs.
· Ensure proper management of all Save the Children resources (equipment, supplies, vehicle and fuel) committed to the project.
· The post holder will comply with all relevant Save the Children Policies and procedures with respect to Child Safe Guarding, Human Trafficking and Modern Slavery, Fraud Bribery and Corruption, and Code of Conduct.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
· BSc degree in Hydraulics, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Health, Construction Management or Environmental Health related field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Minimum of 2 years’ Direct work experience in the area of emergency WASH out of which at least 1 year in humanitarian response
· Experience in working with in hygiene and sanitation promotions. This includes technical support, capacity building and coordination.
· Excellent understanding of Emergency WASH issues in Ethiopia/Region at both field and policy levels.
· Experience in implementing Emergency WASH project.
· Good presentation, training and facilitation skills
· Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
· Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
· Good spoken and written English,
· Good computer and report writing skill
Experience working in NGOs on emergency WASH is an added advantage
- SC Values are: Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity, and Integrity. To meet the value system, the post holder is expected to demonstrate the following competencies on an ongoing basis.
- Leading Delivering result: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team/organisation.
- Thinking Applying technical and professional expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organisation.
- Working effectively with others: Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
- Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.