|Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
|January 4, 2023
Sequa gGmbH is a globally operating non-profit development organisation. Since 1991 sequa has carried out programmes and projects of international cooperation in close collaboration with the German private sector. sequa offers know-how and long-term experience in capacity development for chambers and associations (BMOs), vocational education and training, private sector development and trade promotion. The organisation is based in Bonn, Germany. sequa employs more than 100 persons (2022) and reported a turnover of EUR 58 m in 2021.
GIZ has been commissioned with the implementation of the project “Private Sector Development in Ethiopia” (PSD-E). PSD-E aims to benefit small and medium-sized enterprises, start-ups and small growth-oriented companies from improved growth opportunities. The target groups are owners and employees of SMEs, start-ups and small growth-oriented companies. This shall be achieved through five Outputs: (1) Institutional, human resource and technical strengthening of relevant public institutions, (2) Capacity enhancing of chambers and associations, (3) Strengthening the capacities and services of intermediaries in the innovation ecosystem, (4) Strengthening the capacity of private & public business development service providers, (5) Direct support to MSMEs and entrepreneurs affected by conflicts and crises.
Sequa implements Output 5 of PSD-E project. The objective of output 5 is to enable MSMEs and entrepreneurs (with employment potential) to cope with the effects of conflicts and crises. This will be reached by:
We are offering a project-based assignment as
- Direct technical, financial, and material support of conflict- and crisis-affected MSMEs for the preservation of their business, jobs or income (business continuity), recovery and resilience of the business (business recovery) and by creating perspectives for vulnerable groups.
- MSMEs and entrepreneurs benefit from improved growth opportunities, e.g., businesses report a real increase in their sales.
- MSMEs and entrepreneurs (with employment potential) affected by conflicts and crises are strengthened and their employees benefit from new employment, secured employment, increased income and/or secured income.
In this framework sequa implements a SME Grant Scheme that shall provide financial and technical support to companies for capacity building and provide grants for upgrading equipment and production facilities. It targets to improve market competitiveness by focusing on three major aspects:
- Increasing the competitiveness of SMEs e.g., by improving product quality and quantities, production performance and supporting marketing and sales activities.
- Boosting management capacities in various management areas of SMEs such as HR, financial, sales/marketing, production, organizational, innovation and strategic management, to overcome bottle necks and support faster growth, better product quality and higher efficiency in production and management.
- Creating business linkages in national and international markets to create national clusters and to expand sales markets.
The Grant Scheme primarily targets SMEs with high growth and employment potential, employing typically between 10 to 50 employees. They must already be established in the local market and offer access to helpful consumer goods or services needed by the crisis-affected population
- Work as a focal person between sequa and regional partners for smooth and fast communication;
- Facilitate the coordination between sequa and chamber of sectorial associations in Amhara region;
- Identify relevant potential SMEs of defined sectors and geographical areas for the grant scheme support;
- Visits and conduct onsite assessment of potential SMEs, if needed;
- Shortlist potential SMEs for further verification and selection by sequa project team;
- Provide an awareness creation on the general project objectives, targets and eligibility requirements to potential beneficiary SMEs;
- Distribute application forms to shortlisted SMEs;
- Coordinate and support shortlisted SMEs in filling and submitting application proposals;
- Organize meetings and other important events with beneficiary SMEs and other partners based on sequa demands and directions.
Working time: 30 days within the assignment period, and expandable depending on personal qualification and needs of assignment
Project: Private Sector Development in Ethiopia (PSDE): Output 5
Assignment Period: 01.02.23- 01.07.23
- University Degree or Diploma in business management or related fields;
- Fluent in English and Amharic;
- Strong communication skills;
- Computer literacy (MS Office);
- Very good writing and reporting skills in English;
- Having sufficient understanding on the current status of various sectors, most importantly, food, WASH, logistics, transport and ICT. SMEs, particularly in Amhara Region.
Your Working Experience
- More than 10 years relevant professional experience in manufacturing and service sectors (most importantly in food, WASH, logistics, transport and ICT) in Ethiopia;
- Extensive experience in leading and coaching SMEs of various sectors (specifically in Amhara Regional State is a plus);
- Relevant experience in working with development partners of similar projects.